Help me dig a hole. Literally

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm wondering if there's anyone on NES that does excavating work. I'm still working on my ham tower project and I'm ready to dig the hole. It needs to be about 5' x 5' x 6' deep. Obviously I'm willing to pay. The site is in Waltham.
I also need someone who can do some tree work for me. Mostly clearing some overhead limbs so a climber is probably the best bet.

PM or reply to this post if you can help or if you know of someone who can.
Thanks in advance.

I can't help with your request, but the thread title reminded me of this...

BestFriend.jpg

[laugh]

Atmay, thanks for then offer. If I have no other options I'll let you know.
Radioman, I'm grounding the tower legs and I was planning on bonding to my rf ground which is out side the shack

Atmay, thanks for then offer. If I have no other options I'll let you know.
Radioman, I'm grounding the tower legs and I was planning on bonding to my rf ground which is out side the shack

Make sure the leg grounding does not go through your footing in anyway. It must go around the concrete!! If it goes through the concrete in anyway and lightning hits, your footing will turn to dust. Keep all re-bar encapsulated within the concrete and away from all grounding. The process of grounding a tower goes all the way back to Ben Franklin. It hasn't changed much but is very involved and complicated to the novice. Be careful!!

PS- Do not bond the leg ground(lightning ground) to your RF ground. In the event of a strike lightning will be directed into your shack instead of the ground. The grounding systems need to be kept separate and share no similarities in design. Please consult a professional.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Hole is finished. I hired a landscaper to do it for me. Expensive but it was back breaking work. Working on the rebar cage and base. Hope to get the cement poured next week. I'm way over engineering the cement base and steel. The tower is on a grade and I want to be certain that it will stay put in the heftiest of winds.

Make sure the leg grounding does not go through your footing in anyway. It must go around the concrete!! If it goes through the concrete in anyway and lightning hits, your footing will turn to dust. Keep all re-bar encapsulated within the concrete and away from all grounding. The process of grounding a tower goes all the way back to Ben Franklin. It hasn't changed much but is very involved and complicated to the novice. Be careful!!

PS- Do not bond the leg ground(lightning ground) to your RF ground. In the event of a strike lightning will be directed into your shack instead of the ground. The grounding systems need to be kept separate and share no similarities in design. Please consult a professional.

There's more than 7 yards of concrete in that base. Because it's on a hill there is a percentage of the base that's not below grade but I still have at least 5 yards of buried concrete. Not to mention a whole bunch of rebar. I never realized how much concrete costs!!

ETA The tradesman I had help me with the pour was fantastic. If anybody needs any concrete work done I'll get you his info.

After about 5 months of planning and a ton of work I'm ready to raise the tower. I figure I've got over 200 hours invested in this little project so sorry if I seem like a little kid. Unless something goes wrong, Saturday is the big day. Here's a photo I took with my cell phone early this morning on my way to work.

tower_Jan72011_2.jpg

Everything is wired and ready. The SWR on the uhf/vhf and WARC band antennas is great. The SWR on the tri-bander is up around 3:1 depending upon the band. I know it will change when it gets off the ground but I'm still a little worried about that. Wish there was a way to check it.

No pictures because we finished as it was getting dark. It's up. Took all day. Had to call a couple of friends to finish up.

Ok. Here's a photo as promised. The last stages of the 'raising' had a few nervous moments. Mostly because I didn't want to mess up so close to the finish line. I had a little trouble with the crank up mechanism so I was back on the ladder this morning straightening that out. Just a little jam of the cable.
I've only got it cranked up to about 35 feet in this picture. That's all my nerves could take this morning. I'll extend it more later.

tower_first day.jpg

Ok. Here's a photo as promised. The last stages of the 'raising' had a few nervous moments. Mostly because I didn't want to mess up so close to the finish line. I had a little trouble with the crank up mechanism so I was back on the ladder this morning straightening that out. Just a little jam of the cable.
I've only got it cranked up to about 35 feet in this picture. That's all my nerves could take this morning. I'll extend it more later.

View attachment 15299

Looks good...

Back
Top Bottom