• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me learn to love .22

CMEBoston

NES Member
I just can’t seem to fall in love with .22…
I always buy a brick when I see it, and I was buying bricks almost weekly for almost 15 years.
My father did the same thing and when he passed away I inherited his stash of .22
Needless to say I have plenty .22, and trust me it’s a hard thing to admit you have enough of one caliber lol.
I have plenty of .22 firearms
Started with one 10/22 and somehow now I have 3…
I’m thinking I may SBR one of the 10/22s at the chance I may enjoy shooting it again lol

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?

Some SBR10/22 I found online and it got my gears turning

Ya, I am a fan of .22. I could shoot it all day. Are you shooting reactive targets?
I couldn’t tell lol
Sometimes but most of my .22 is shot indoors, usually blasting 5.56 if I’m outside.
The most fun I’ve had with a .22 was shooting golf balls but that’s verboten at just about every range now.

Glock 44 is my favorite pistol I own. 10/10 recommend getting one.
Admittedly I never owned a .22 pistol till I inherited my dads Stuff, the Ruger SP101 he left me looks fun
He left me an SR22 as well. I gotta get them to the range this week

Also left me a CZ452 .22/17HMR Theres some squirrels around here that are gonna meet the .17 lol

I enjoy it for precision rifle shooting out to 100y.

This. Eley + CZ 457 = big smiles.

I agree that .22 can be boring as hell with 95% of the cartridges out there, but with Match Ammo (still roughly the cost of 9mm plinking) and an accurate platform, it's my favorite way to shoot.

Last edited:
I enjoy it for precision rifle shooting out to 100y.
I guess having the right tool is key for that game, I never prioritized “gun money” to a decent .22
But my dad did bless his heart
I’m starting to see the value now.. keep up on your rifleman-ship skills without spending my kids college money on .308

Attachments

• 5DC2470E-DEF8-4FD6-B0DA-E89F34BBDC9E.jpeg
    5DC2470E-DEF8-4FD6-B0DA-E89F34BBDC9E.jpeg
    581.4 KB · Views: 45
I used to get bored with 22 until I got a SBR upper for my AR and got a Taurus TX22
The Nordic Components 9.25" upper is super well made and shoots great

I used to get bored with 22 until I got a SBR upper for my AR and got a Taurus TX22
The Nordic Components 9.25" upper is super well made and shoots great
I’ve thought about this but I don’t want to dedicate a lower to .22

But I’m also just getting my toes wet in the SBR world

I purchased a Taurus TX22 last year. The pistol has been flawless through 800 rds. It is a fun gun to shoot. I also have a Marlin 25N bolt action that has perfect iron sights and has been great for me. And then there's these two.....

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpeg
    IMG_1685.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
I don't know how you could possibly get bored with 22's.
If all you know is the 10/22, then yes, that is boring.

Get behind a true target 22 rifle or pistol. Use target-grade ammo. Shoot a discipline that requires precision. I can almost guarantee you won't get bored.

Blowing out a bullseye with pistols is just fun. I own a semi and a revolver. Or going in the woods and plinking cans.

Shooting at lollipops at 50 to 100 yards with a rifle is just great family fun. Even better is taking a small steel target into the mountains and practicing all sorts of hunting situations is next level fun. Add a random grouse into the mix and you have dinner!

I don't know how you could possibly get bored with 22's.
If all you know is the 10/22, then yes, that is boring.

Get behind a true target 22 rifle or pistol. Use target-grade ammo. Shoot a discipline that requires precision. I can almost guarantee you won't get bored.
Admittedly it’s worse than that
I didn’t get my first 10/22 till a few years ago
Before that is was a Remington speed master and glenfeild

Something about filling the tubes on those 2 brings me back to my youth

There are a few good things (read: expensive) you can do to build your own .22. Here is Steve Ostrum with one example.

I shoot 22's frequently. Revolver, semiauto pistols and rifles, bolt action and pump action rifles.

I find it very relaxing to set out a target and just plink with a bolt action. No hurry, no worries.

If I get in a hurry, I put the .22 conversion kit in the Uzi subgun and piss through a dozen or so mags of CCI Stingers.

I don't own a 10/22. I think they suck.

Now I'm thinking about how many 22's I have.

Rifles:
Anschutz 1413
Anschutz 1422
Compass Lake AR/22
Winchester 9422
Winchester 490
Rem Nylon 66

Pistols:
Pardini SP22
High Standard Victor (2)
High Standard 102 Olympic
Custom Ruger MK 1 with a Morrison barrel

I don't own a 10/22. I think they suck.

Now I'm thinking about how many 22's I have.

Rifles:
Anschutz 1413
Anschutz 1422
Compass Lake AR/22
Winchester 9422
Winchester 490
Rem Nylon 66

Pistols:
Pardini SP22
High Standard Victor (2)
High Standard 102 Olympic
Custom Ruger MK 1 with a Morrison barrel
All 3 came to me, I didn’t buy a single 10/22 I own lol
One was my dads
One came from the police cause my bud got his LTC taken and one was in a horse trade
But it works out
One for me
One for my son
One for my daughter

If you can add a suppressor and SBR, the fun escalates. I was also a late bloomer on .22 and now I have like 10 of them in pistol and rifle. As noted above, you can slap a .22 upper on an AR lower. Can SBR the lower and use it for multiple configurations like 300 Blk.

Lots of great advice already, I'll add a few points:

1) I can't shoot targets with a 22, I shoot cans that are hung at 50 yards or steel at 100. I like getting a visual or auditory confirmation. Makes it more fun.
2) Great for practicing offhand shooting
3) The lever is super fun
4) They are inexpensive

And the most important:

1) It reminds me of shooting my dad's Nylon 66 as a kid. Every time I shoot a 22 (especially a tube loader), I think of that. Last time he was here, we brought out all the 22's and had a great time. It's great for kids AND older people.

Back
Top Bottom