Help me learn to love .22

You dont have to. I use the same lower and have SBR uppers in 22lr, 5.56 and 7.62x39
Perfect I assumed it was caliber specific but like I said I gotta get educated more (obviously)
Something about a SBR .22 excites me especially when I leave this god forsaken commonwealth and can play with suppressors

Lots of great advice already, I'll add a few points:

1) I can't shoot targets with a 22, I shoot cans that are hung at 50 yards or steel at 100. I like getting a visual or auditory confirmation. Makes it more fun.
2) Great for practicing offhand shooting
3) The lever is super fun
4) They are inexpensive

And the most important:

1) It reminds me of shooting my dad's Nylon 66 as a kid. Every time I shoot a 22 (especially a tube loader), I think of that. Last time he was here, we brought out all the 22's and had a great time. It's great for kids AND older people.
I have an old Winchester .22 lever but the chamber is cracked it’s a wall hanger also have a 30/30, another lever is definitely on my radar but in a pistol caliber, maybe room for 2 more

Also timing it with the craptastic gun bill in the works and for now am prioritizing “protest buys” and adding to my EBR collection hoping I can further my lever collection after it passes (and am fishing making expendable money)
Can’t believe the mental gymnastics I gotta go though to be a free citizen

Last edited:
Admittedly I never owned a .22 pistol till I inherited my dads Stuff, the Ruger SP101 he left me looks fun
He left me an SR22 as well. I gotta get them to the range this week

Also left me a CZ452 .22/17HMR Theres some squirrels around here that are gonna meet the .17 lol

You got some great options there! My go to .22s are a Ruger Mark 3 and a Winchester 9422. A 22 lever gun with some steel knock down targets or clay pigeons is a good time.

Start shooting steel challenge.

A brick a week is 26K rounds/year. Based on what you posted you probably have over 250K rounds. That is a lot for someone that doesn't love shooting a caliber.

Precision rifle is awesome. Only reason I didn't get heavy into it is because finding the best .22 for the rifle is a pain in the a** and it isn't cheap. I already have other expensive sh*t to worry about. That being said, it is a lot of fun.

Chances are, whatever .22 you have will be OK, but will not highlight the true potential of the precision rifle.

Start shooting steel challenge.

A brick a week is 26K rounds/year. Baswd on what you posted you probably habe over 250K rounds. That is a lot for someone that doesn't love shooting a caliber.
I can’t discuss how much I may or may not have, but I got into the habit of buying it when I first got my LTC and shopped at Walmart, it just wound up in the cart cause I figured why not I can buy it now, for a few years I didn’t have much of a collection and only had a couple .22 rifles and a *gasp FOTAY…..then I joined NES 🤣

My father on the other hand loved his .22 and like me, bought it every week just cause he could now I have his and mine so…..
I’m trying to learn to love the caliber

And you’re right it’s probably a lot more fun to shoot it socially/competitively than blasting clays or steel

I can’t discuss how much I may or may not have, but I got into the habit of buying it when I first got my LTC and shopped at Walmart, it just wound up in the cart cause I figured why not I can buy it now, for a few years I didn’t have much of a collection and only had a couple .22 rifles and a *gasp FOTAY…..then I joined NES 🤣

My father on the other hand loved his .22 and like me, bought it every week just cause he could now I have his and mine so…..
I’m trying to learn to love the caliber

And you’re right it’s probably a lot more fun to shoot it socially/competitively than blasting clays or steel

Good thing about steel challenge is you can be competitive (I am talking Master) without dumping over $1K into a gun.

For example a 22/45 or Buckmark - all you really need is a new trigger + optics (unless you want to shoot irons). You can go crazy on a 22/45 or Buckmark, get every after market part and still be under $1K (price of gun included).

Many people buy MP15-22 for rifle, all they do is replace the extractor and trigger. Done, awesome Steel Challenge rifle.

.22 doesn't require any special equipment (no race holster or belts) and you don't need to find the most accurate .22 rounds, anything off the shelf works as long as your gun doesn't jam.

It is cheap and fun and you can start with an off the shelf handgun or rifle and the ammo you already own.

All it requires is 5 mags for reloads.

The first rifle I ever bought my son was a Henry Golden Boy. It could possibly be the most fun to shoot of any firearm I own.
It is hard to leave it at home when you are planning a range trip. It will hold 15 rounds of 22lr, but 21 rounds of 22 shorts. The 22 short quiet from CCI is awesome because you don't need hearing protection when you are shooting and it is not much louder than a pellet gun. CCI shot shells are great for small pests if needed. Best of all, it will eat anything from cheap bucket o bullets, standard velocity, mini mags, long, short etc. it just doesn't matter
Great gun for first time shooters. Working the lever is always fun for newbies and youngsters.
On top of all of that, it is one of the best looking guns ever made.... The first time a newbie sees it pulled out of a case the say "whoa".
20 octagon barrel, American walnut stock and fore grip, brass lie receiver and barrel band. Kids really feel like they are something special.

So, if you want to love 22

1709479356723.jpeg

Admittedly I never owned a .22 pistol till I inherited my dads Stuff, the Ruger SP101 he left me looks fun
He left me an SR22 as well. I gotta get them to the range this week

Also left me a CZ452 .22/17HMR Theres some squirrels around here that are gonna meet the .17 lol
If you want a fun .22 pistol, you need to look to the Sig P322, the Taurus TX22, or perhaps even a Ruger MK-III.
Then you can start having some fun.

This. Eley + CZ 457 = big smiles.

I agree that .22 can be boring as hell with 95% of the cartridges out there, but with Match Ammo (still roughly the cost of 9mm plinking) and an accurate platform, it's my favorite thing way to shoot.

That's my formula as well...

That is so much fun!

:)

Need to figure out a way to electrify some moving targets
Then it will be like going to a carnival.....

I thought of making one a few years ago with an electric motor connected to a sprocket/chain setup. When you think about it, you could add more sprockets and chains as needed for ducks, revolving targets, and so on but also a number of static ones say that flop down with a passing chain that has a bump back up knob behind them, etc..

Join the Maine long gong Boys. Plates at 300 and 400yds. 22lr only. Go spend the college fund on a CZ action, a chassis, and a car's worth of glass.

30 round mag dump from S&W 15-22 is fun. 10 round blasting a S&W 617 revolver is fun. 12 rounds from a lever action is fun. Moving to NH soon and can’t wait to shoot suppressed 22lr off my back porch. Maybe I am just too simple 😁

i like the ruger mark 3 22/45.
the grip is a 1911 and it is fun to shoot.
and what about a henry .22 lever gun?
plus i like plinking with subsonic 22
and i shoot with kids a lot, so lotsa .22 and .38spc

You need to think like a ten-year old again.

View attachment 857054
This is great, when I shot at Hanson we used to hit clays and golf balls, but then after the sandy hook panic the place got busy and people stated doing dumb stuff, so it went to paper only.

When I moved to plymouth I shot in the back yard and had something similar, but a development shut that down

I have a buddy with 200 acres around the corner. He told me I can go shoot in his pit anytime I think it’s about time I start setting up a gallery down there.

The CZ is a great rifle. I have the CZ455 and love it. I really enjoy my Henry too.
The SP101 is okay but the trigger is a little heavy. I tried changing the springs to lighten the pull, but it wouldn’t fire consistently. I didn’t try all the different brands of ammo out there to see if one worked better than another.
My Ruger MKIII will eat anything and is a pleasure to shoot. I take it on almost all my range trips.

As others have said, it's not the caliber, it's the gun you're shooting it out of.

I have a browning Buckmark that's an absolute hoot around a campfire. You can shoot a golf ball off your beer can at 25 yards and feel pretty good about your marksmanship.

If you have any number of awful 22s that are MOBarn accuracy then yes the cartridge is quite boring.

This looks like a lot of fun...

I just can’t seem to fall in love with .22…
I always buy a brick when I see it, and I was buying bricks almost weekly for almost 15 years.
My father did the same thing and when he passed away I inherited his stash of .22
Needless to say I have plenty .22, and trust me it’s a hard thing to admit you have enough of one caliber lol.
I have plenty of .22 firearms
Started with one 10/22 and somehow now I have 3…
I’m thinking I may SBR one of the 10/22s at the chance I may enjoy shooting it again lol

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?

Some SBR10/22 I found online and it got my gears turning
Do you shoot paper or steel with your 22s?

Put out some very small steel spinners like 2 inch at 100 yards and it increases the challenge and I can shoot 500 or more rounds in a sitting and enjoy it. Also......with my 10 22 I put an 8 inch steel target at 100 yards....use the bipod and scope......thats a very easy target to hit but......using standard velocity ammo there is a delay from bang to ping. I try to squeeze of as many rounds as I can before the first ping is heard! Best I can do is 4.......pop pop pop pop...ping ping ping ping. Your trying to get as many bullets in the air before you hear the first ping! I can do that for hours 😂

I purchased a Taurus TX22 last year. The pistol has been flawless through 800 rds. It is a fun gun to shoot. I also have a Marlin 25N bolt action that has perfect iron sights and has been great for me. And then there's these two.....
800 flawless? I shoot that much in one trip between the 2 rifles and 3 pistols i have in 22lr. My ruger mark 3 I've probably put 5000 round thru since I cleaned it last and it still runs fine. I done even know how much 22lr I own I have so much.....easily 25k in my cabinet.

I spent the afternoon at my club's long range shooting .223 at 300-500 yards, and .22 at 200 and 300. It's nice to get hits at longer ranges, but I had just as much fun shooting 250 rounds of .22 at the 300 yard gongs and some pill bottles someone had set up at 200 yards. Total cost for the .22 fun was less than $20, but the smile I got when making those little bottles dance around was priceless! The 10/22 I use at these ranges wasn't cheap to build, but I shoot MiniMags out of it and have a blast lobbing rounds out there!

For close up fun I like to bring along these spring-loaded "Prarie Popper" targets. They sometimes get down to $13.00, and take plenty of hits before it's time to bend them back into shape and repaint them. If you mount them to a piece of 2x8 you can drop them anywhere, even in snow. Setting them up at different distances and then trying to clear the course with one mag (or tube) can be a lot of fun.

71NuXPOkhgL.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom