hey i need some input....

Moose508, I think the last revision of your letter looks much better than the first one. It sounds much more professional and businesslike. It is direct and to the point. If you can afford it I would still suggest running your entire application and letter(s) by one of the attorneys here. I suggest that because you want an LTC without restrictions and you live in
a place where that is difficult to obtain. The use of an attorney won't guarantee success, but it will maximize your chances.

Whatever course you take, I wish you well. [grin]

well i'm late to this but just wanted to let you know that when i went to apply for mine i was handed a sheet of paper with what was needed. the letter to the chief was listed. I made one, took it with me, and it was handed right back to me. unused.

Good Luck Tomorrow!!

I myself called on friday and again today trying to get hold of Lori - no go. so now i'll wait a couple of days for her to get back to me before trying again.

Last edited:
In cases like this were the cops ask for additional things and you do go the lawyer route to be sure or at least better your chances, do they cops change their opinion on how they deal with future lic requests or do they think your another a**h*** who lawyers up at everything?

To the OP, I hope you get the lic unrestricted like you should.

When I was getting advice for my LTC letter (long story) I was told to write the letter on my own stationary, not the lawyer's. So the CoP wouldn't know there was a lawyer involved unless there was an issue. The lawyers who deal with this stuff daily are working to get you your license, not show how wonderful their letterhead looks.

I live in a red town. Personally I found that less is more. My letter to the CLEO in Medford basically pointed out that, as an IT consultant, I frequently transport expensive equipment that makes me a potential target. As a result, I got an unrestricted LTC-A in a red town on my first application. It seems your concerns about your job are also well suited and I would stick to that point. Your education, feelings about crime in the area, etc. are really not going to persuade the chief.

Now this is just a personal opinion, based on my own experience. If you really want to construct a proper letter, I would suggest paying the money to someone like Scrivener. We've all been "Scrived" on here (not usually pleasant), but the guy does know the law and specializes in these situations. It's all about using the right tool for the right job (a metaphor Scriv...not calling you a tool). I've learned a lot from him and he has forgotten more about MA gun laws than you or I will ever accumulate in our lifetime. If you are this concerned/serious, I would suggest spending the money and letting the professional do the work.

Good luck. The guys on this board have given you excellent free advice. Brockton is one of the more difficult towns to deal with in my experience so you'll need the luck.

Isn't it funny that Brockton is one of those towns where a law abiding citizen really needs a gun? LOL

It has been predetermined what type of LTC A you will be issued no matter what kind of letter you have. This is just one more obstacle your COP puts in the way to discourage applying. Most likely no one will ever read this letter. Unless you can prove you need a firearm to protect yourself on a daily basis (and this is very difficult to prove) your CPO has already made up his mind on what you will be issued. The system is set up this way. It is unfortunate you have stressed over this letter and in reality this letter will make no difference.

well i'm late to this but just wanted to let you know that when i went to apply for mine i was handed a sheet of paper with what was needed. the letter to the chief was listed. I made one, took it with me, and it was handed right back to me. unused.

Good Luck Tomorrow!!

I myself called on friday and again today trying to get hold of Lori - no go. so now i'll wait a couple of days for her to get back to me before trying again.
hey major call thee police station direct and ask for her 2 set you up 2 day at 11 im going earlier because the person b4 me cancelled so try and give her a call the bpd is 15089410200

preach!!! omg its insane..... you would think they would inspire people to get there ltc with all thats going on..... but then again its "brockton" it must be something in the water?[banghead]

i think the only sane people here are the ones who DON'T drink the tap water. it's crazy.

still haven't received a call back from lori. i'll wait and if i don't hear back by monday i'll go in there.

hey major call thee police station direct and ask for her 2 set you up 2 day at 11 im going earlier because the person b4 me cancelled so try and give her a call the bpd is 15089410200

shoot i just saw this post, i'm too late. see my post just above this one. i'm not going to call the station just yet, maybe i'll do that on monday instead of going in. if i went in they would just say she is unavailable anyway so i guess i will call on monday. i want to get it done but it's not like i want to bug her everyday with a recording till i reach her - some of us here know what can happen with that.......

shoot i just saw this post, i'm too late. see my post just above this one. i'm not going to call the station just yet, maybe i'll do that on monday instead of going in. if i went in they would just say she is unavailable anyway so i guess i will call on monday. i want to get it done but it's not like i want to bug her everyday with a recording till i reach her - some of us here know what can happen with that.......

ha! i called her line 3 times then called the police station and i got her.....but i went today i didnt even have to talk to the cheif and they didnt say anything about a restriction so.... let the count down begin and i really do appreciate you guys helping me with my letter or should i say dam near writing it out for me hahaah

It has been predetermined what type of LTC A you will be issued no matter what kind of letter you have. This is just one more obstacle your COP puts in the way to discourage applying. Most likely no one will ever read this letter. Unless you can prove you need a firearm to protect yourself on a daily basis (and this is very difficult to prove) your CPO has already made up his mind on what you will be issued. The system is set up this way. It is unfortunate you have stressed over this letter and in reality this letter will make no difference.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Work situations can actually make quite a difference. My work makes me a legitimate target, and thus I got my LTC-A unrestricted in a red town on my first try. Many tell me that this was due to the circumstances surrounding my job. It isn't just security/LEOs, some towns are receptive to real risks. That is just IMHO....take it for what it is worth.

ha! i called her line 3 times then called the police station and i got her.....but i went today i didnt even have to talk to the cheif and they didnt say anything about a restriction so.... let the count down begin and i really do appreciate you guys helping me with my letter or should i say dam near writing it out for me hahaah

i never saw the chief either. i think she processes it and passes it on to him. like i said they never even used my letter. when i went and she used the reader to get my print, she couldn't get a reading. she ended up having to use my middle finger to get it. so now when i buy a gun i get my moment to stick it to the system.

"Unless you can prove you need a firearm to protect yourself on a daily basis". Work could be one of those thinge that may prove your need
Please be sure you read the entire statement before you make a comment.

Back
Top Bottom