• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holliston Firearms going out of business

I am heading in there once I get home from Seattle.

Hopefully, there is still an interesting item or two around!

Was there when he closed yesterday and there are still a few revolvers and semi autos there, including some nice 1911s. I was there looking at his over unders and will be getting a nice Browning CX at a price that was hard to pass up.

He'll be opening again on Thursday. Still not sure when he's going to be closing up shop, but he said he's seen more people in the last three days then he's seen almost all year. It's too bad a great place goes under as his prices were pretty good there. Just not enough foot traffic.

Was there when he closed yesterday and there are still a few revolvers and semi autos there, including some nice 1911s. I was there looking at his over unders and will be getting a nice Browning CX at a price that was hard to pass up.

He'll be opening again on Thursday. Still not sure when he's going to be closing up shop, but he said he's seen more people in the last three days then he's seen almost all year. It's too bad a great place goes under as his prices were pretty good there. Just not enough foot traffic.
What a coincidence, I am not back until Thursday.

I know one of the employees there, always been meaning to make a trip more than once a year, but life gets in the way.

Was always dealt with fairly. Shame to see it go.

I got there yesterday about 10 minutes after they opened to pick up my Browning. Place was packed again. Bought the shotgun, shook Marks hand for the last time and left. I was excited about the new purchase but a little melancoly to see my favorite gun shop close.

IMG_1564.jpg

I got there yesterday about 10 minutes after they opened to pick up my Browning. Place was packed again. Bought the shotgun, shook Marks hand for the last time and left. I was excited about the new purchase but a little melancoly to see my favorite gun shop close.

View attachment 251830

I was there the same time as you. I had the boot on.

It's the Browning Citori CX model. I was going back and forth between this model and the CXT. Decided on this one as it left me a little extra cash for ammo.

That's a sweet gun. Im going to try to get three tonight to see if they still have the one I've been oogling over for a bit but was trying to save up for.

That's a sweet gun. Im going to try to get three tonight to see if they still have the one I've been oogling over for a bit but was trying to save up for.

Handgun, Rifles and Semi/Pump Action rifles are in short supply. Nobody though is looking at the over unders as the same ones were up on the shelf yesterday. Pretty good deal for these as well.

i don't know why holiston is going out but i know how skinflintish shooters are. i've said it before, they'll hunt down and drive for hours or buy online to save a couple of bucks because they think the local b&m is charging too much. then in the next breath, brag how they supported the local shop by buying a bag of cleaning patches. yep, that sale of $4.99 is really going to pay the rent, utilities and the employees. people can blame everybody in state government for a shops demise but are they really? think about it next time you drive past a local shop heading to four seasons to save 10 bucks. just my opinion, so have fun picking holistons bones. i can feel the hate already.
When my closest LGS has a price tag on a used Hi Point pistol of $210, Winchester Bonded .40 for $50 (normally $25 online) I really can't accept buying much from him. Years ago I had him order me a bolt action .22 and it took a month for it to finally show up. Had I bought online, I would have had it in a week and paid less. After that, I've never bothered to have an lgs order me something they didn't have and usually, when I go in to get an estimate for something they don't have, their distributors don't have it and I order online anyway.

So to me there's no point in bothering with the local shops other than the FFL transfer. They make their money on the uninformed panic buyer/first time gun owner who goes in and buys a Glock for $600, a box of ammo for $50.

When my closest LGS has a price tag on a used Hi Point pistol of $210, Winchester Bonded .40 for $50 (normally $25 online) I really can't accept buying much from him. Years ago I had him order me a bolt action .22 and it took a month for it to finally show up. Had I bought online, I would have had it in a week and paid less. After that, I've never bothered to have an lgs order me something they didn't have and usually, when I go in to get an estimate for something they don't have, their distributors don't have it and I order online anyway.

So to me there's no point in bothering with the local shops other than the FFL transfer. They make their money on the uninformed panic buyer/first time gun owner who goes in and buys a Glock for $600, a box of ammo for $50.

Most people don't know what it costs to have a small business. I ran my own for 13 years.

All of the sales revenue has to cover labor, materials and overhead (called the Break Even point) BEFORE they make any money.

Think of all the expenses: Rent, utilities, taxes, expenses, inventory, etc.

The lower the volume, the higher the prices have to be to get to the points above.

Can you shop for a lower price....yup

The smaller shops can't be viable and close.

Owning a gun store is a tough retail business. You need a lot of expensive inventory to keep buyers coming in and the space to hold the inventory. There are razor thin margins because there is high volume/low price competitors. And there's online competition for parts and accessories that can sell for less.

During boom times it's easy to be successful. Demand for guns and ammo were off the charts after some horrific events when there was great concern about new laws and regulations. Prices are supported by demand. If one customer won't pay full retail the next one will. There's never enough supply to keep satisfy demand.

Of course once the supply catches up to demand the guns stores now have to differentiate themselves somehow to try and capture the smaller market of buyers. Some of those who are not well capitalized will start selling at cost or less to get cash flow to pay the rent. Slower sales, lower margins and competition that can kick your ass on pricing.

Anyone who enters this business knows or should know the risks. I find too many folks enter this business because they love guns and truly want to create a great spot for customers to shop, learn and hang out. But they often are not folks who have run a business before and are more hobbyist business owners. They've created a place they like to hang out and then reality strikes. The bills come due every month whether or not stuff is selling.

A buddy started a small bbq joint a few years back. As his wife said he wanted to create a clubhouse for he and his buddies to drink beer, eat bbq and play good music. I don't know all the details but they closed down ultimately. The challenges of running a business were much greater than he realized. He was truly proud of his establishment and tried his best. But that was not enough.

RIP Holliston Firearms. You gave it your best. You tried in the face of adversity. But you chose a tough path where success is very difficult.

Most people don't know what it costs to have a small business. I ran my own for 13 years.

All of the sales revenue has to cover labor, materials and overhead (called the Break Even point) BEFORE they make any money.

Think of all the expenses: Rent, utilities, taxes, expenses, inventory, etc.

The lower the volume, the higher the prices have to be to get to the points above.

Can you shop for a lower price....yup

The smaller shops can't be viable and close.
I know that, the taxes, fees, and regs must be insane, but all those costs get passed on to me. The benefits of a gun store are you get to look at the gun you buy and you can take it home the same day, but not down here where every sale is an 8 day wait. When I can buy online for less, have it shipped, and get the gun the same day I normally would have, it's not worth it for me to pay the businesses overhead and the sales tax that goes to fund anti-gun research at the state house.

Still, I can't justify the price of a used Hi Point when I can buy a new one online and have him do the transfer for $50 and still end up paying less.

It's all about you, now isn't it?

Thanks

nobody can blame you for avoiding a local shop for piss poor performance, i do it myself. if that's the case then we know who's to blame if the store closes. i have my own stories about that stuff...over 45+ years of stories. all the poor performers are gone. the difference is you (using "you" in general terms) gotta give the legit shop owner a chance.

i wonder why holiston firearms never was this crowded before he had his going out of business sale? the smell of blood, that's why.

So,are gunshops doing us a favor by being in business. ?
If we didn't have gun stores and FFL's, we wouldn't be able to buy guns (and in some states now, ammo).

I'm not celebrating seeing another store go out of business, but that's all that's happening now is stores closing because they can't compete with the internet retailers. I'm not willing to pay more when I buy something in a store because their business model is antiquated.

I've thought about getting an FFL and opening a super tiny store where all I stock is common ammo (.22, 9mm, .223, 12 gauge, .45) muzzleloaders, and percussion revolvers... stuff that doesn't require a waiting period. I'd charge $20 flat for a transfer and I wouldn't stock any guns or accessories cuz the prices I'd have to sell them at profit would be way too high.

Probably a very niche store, but the money maker would be in the transfers.

Generally a business survives and prospers by offering a product or service that customers want or need, and articulate a reason why the customer should do business with them.

My time has value. Driving somewhere costs gas and wear and tear.

How much will I save by driving a certain distance? Quid pro quo.

Or is quality a differentiator? If I need a serious medical procedure and there's an expert in Boston rather than a doc with less experience nearby, I'm driving to Boston.

I enjoy the beef from Costco. There's a Shaw's a mile from the house. I very rarely shop there and never for meat or produce. I will drive 5 miles to Roche Brothers frequently. But for meat I drive 10 miles to Costco. Better beef for far less money IMHO.

Where users choose to spend is complex mitigated by many factors. But honestly loyalty is very rare these days in the consumer space. And a gun shop that wants to grow and prosper needs to realize that.

Not a lawyer, but I know some here are, and I have benefited from their advice... but someone please tell Mark there are terms and conditions with the Atty Generals office about holding a "going out of business sale" , there is a time limit and other items to be addressed for truth in advertising.

You can thank the people standing on the median strips with the bright yellow "going out of business" signs for these laws.

nobody can blame you for avoiding a local shop for piss poor performance, i do it myself. if that's the case then we know who's to blame if the store closes. i have my own stories about that stuff...over 45+ years of stories. all the poor performers are gone. the difference is you (using "you" in general terms) gotta give the legit shop owner a chance.
Legit owners are pretty hard to come by here in RI, the best one I've come by is Midstate Gun Company down in Coventry, but they're almost an hour drive. The only reason I think they're as good as they are is they have the public indoor range and make a ton of money off that.

I learned my lesson buying a new gun via LGS after that bolt .22 debacle. If it's new, buy it online, if it's used and a local guy has it, I'm willing to buy from him if he has something I'm interested in (which they never do) and the price is fair. A $210 Hi Point or a $300 H&R .38 topbreak are outrageously overpriced, but the owner isn't banking on an informed person buying them, he's hoping the poor, uninformed schmuck who can't afford anything better will think $210 or $300 for a gun is great.

Hey, if they find someone willing to pay that price, good on them. I'd love to buy guns and sell them for double what I paid, but that business model isn't working for small gun stores. For D&L, Shooters Outpost, Gun Parlor, Kittery... they're all such big places they can do it.

My last two guns were purchased from Holliston Firearms.

Could I have gotten them cheaper? Probably.

The reason I didn't is proximity and wanting to keep a small LGS open.

For all you Walmart shoppers, keep on skinflinting.

Fully agree with this. I've paid a little more for the convenience of having a great little store right next door. Mark always had good consignment and used items as well and I've benefited from those sales many times over. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if the ride to FS to save $30 is worth the time and effort. For me the answer was always no. Mark gave a good deal and I reciprocated by buying at this store.

I got there just as they opened. Not busy at all then. They had the gun I've been drooling over for a while now. I figured it would still be there. I figured it was now or never. Picked up the left handed citori 725.

Im guessing you never go to gunshows looking for deals either,because that would be hypocritical.

I was skinflinting 9mm,45,5.56 value packs at Walmart while people where paying a 80% markup at 4$easons(pre deval/obama) so Carl can maintain his house on the Cape..i mean keep 4$easons open :D

Last edited:
I got there just as they opened. Not busy at all then. They had the gun I've been drooling over for a while now. I figured it would still be there. I figured it was now or never. Picked up the left handed citori 725.

Damn you. I was eyeing that one too

Back
Top Bottom