Hollowpoints / FMJ ammo

Yeah, wow. I saw sinpirate's insult laden reply and tried to find it on his site, but missed it. Thanks for the heads up.

Its clear that Sinpirate isn't really from new england, If he was, he'd understand my 50 yard rifle hunting reference. Either that or he's never hunted deer in the woods of New England.

He says this: I am pleased that you are satisfied with your Glock. They enjoy a good reputation, and having confidence in your choice of defensive weapon is possibly the most important criteria. Personally, no Glock would be my choice for personal defense, nor would any 9mm but we each have our tastes, opinions, and preferences.

which is clearly patronizing. But yet doesn't bother to give any justification for his opinions. He also fails to notice that I'm a 1911 fan also. Different tools for different situations.

I've personally not had ammo vary more in POI than a half inch or so at 20 feet. (6.7 yards).
And when it has strung, it has all strung vertically. (within reason)

Again with the personal insults:Forgive me, but I am getting a mental picture of you as one of "those guys" I see at the pistol range...the guy with all the right gear, custom gun, yellow glasses, etc...running magazine after magazine of double and triple taps through his Glock 9mm at a life sized silhouette less than 10 ft in front of him - probably in a Weaver stance.

Finally, I'll start at the beginning. I didn't write at all like I got up on the "wrong side of the birds nest". In fact I was pretty analytical. There wasn't a single personal insult in my reply.

Hmm. Buttpirate. I'm done with this thread. Have a splendid life.

dcmdon,

I too found sin's response overly personal and completely lacking in the details requested. Specifically, the reasoning for any of his statements.

His statements imply:

Hollow points are prefered, but do not offer sufficient reliability in auto-loading handguns, so FMJs are prefered.

1) His side point is 100% true, even if he never pushed it. You should be 100% comfortable with the reliability of the ammunition in your "stash" in your weapon of choice. If you are not 100% comfortable with its reliability, seperate it out so you don't count on it in an emergency. This applies to both FMJ and HP.

2) Running 20 rounds of any ammunition through a firearm (FMJ or HP) does not demonstrate reliability. I only shoot a magazine of my carry ammunition through my gun during a normal range visit, but I bought 500rd and tested the reliability of that ammunition in my firearm before I started carrying it. I am perfectly confident in the reliability of my carry ammunition in my carry weapon. I would be confident stocking that ammunition for an emergency.

3) Sin also touched on the range of a pistol. The US Marine Corp teaches use of their sidearm out to a range of 50m. That is great when it is your only available weapon and your life may depend on taking and hitting that shot. I have been known to take practice shots with my 10mm at IDPA torso targets at 100yard. I wouldn't take a hunting shot with a handgun at 50 yards unless it was my only available hunting tool. A handgun is a weapon of oppertunity not a weapon of choice. A handgun is selected when a rifle is unavailable or impractical (like a carry weapon)

Changing ammunition does change point of impact. Unless your sight / barrel centers are off, ammunition changes should have very little change in point of impact in Azmuth (Right / Left) but could have a significant change in point of impact up and down (bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity all have a large effect on this) but two different bands of FMJ could have similar changes in point of impact.
If you are concerned about this, take a sample of each ammo to the range and not the chance in point of impact for each ammunition and record them on the box. If you have to use the ammunition in an emergency, it's noted right there how you have to adjust your sights or your point of aim to adjust for that ammunition.

If you can afford to verify the reliability and point of aim of all of your firearms with hollow point ammunition and still stockpile an acceptable amount, by all means, do so. However, lets be practical. The "meat' of your stock-pile is going to be inexpensive ammunition for cost reasons. That could be lead round nose, FMJ or otherwise.

I would recommend to everyone to verify reliability in at least a few firearms for rounds that are better suited for hunting and self-defense, especially for handguns. Note their point of impact on the stash and set some aside.

And don't assume FMJ ammunition will be reliable because it's FMJ. Check it out and make sure. When the chips are down is not the time to find out that the cheap stuff doesn't run well through your gun.

I thought the sinpirate was dead-on. One of the best responses to this issue I've ever read. Agree with him 100%.

Back
Top Bottom