home defense firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesuslove

Banned
Gentlemen,

I have been searching for a suitable home defense firearm as I have recently received my LTC after moving here from NYC.

My living situation:
I live in a condo in downtown boston
I live alone with a very cute dog
I am a white christian (I see that this seems to be important here on NES)
I have a budget of $8k for this firearm (ammo, safe, training, optics, etc)
I don't need to carry this on me at all times

I posted about a AK in a thread and a kind gentleman has been PM'ing me advice, directing me from rifles and toward pistols due to the following reasons:

handling
-rifles are long and hard to maneuver in the home
-pistols are small and easily manipulated in the home

overpenetration
-rifle rounds = more speed
-pistol rounds = less speed
-rifle rounds = more "pointy" (his words, I don't understand...) and he said it was easily calculated that this makes them more prone to over penetration. I have yet to see these "easily" derived calculations, which I imagine would be an elaborate free body diagram
-pistol rounds = more "round", thus "easily" calculated that they don't overpenetrate walls

Also, I have been told that shot guns are a great home defense firearm. Joe Biden mentioned this in one of his speeches. My great uncle also told me that all a man needs is a shot gun because home intruders soil their pants when you use the pump action to rack a round. I have my doubts about this, but it is information that I am currently working with so I mention it here.

My question to you is this: given my current living situation, what is my best option? Pistol? Shotgun? Rifle? I can also buy all three, but I'd like to first buy the one I'd use mostly for personal defense in my home.. which is why I ask the question.

with 8K you can buy an small arsenal to defend your home. Your best bet is finding what you can shoot the best and most accurate. one thing I will recommend for home defense if you go the pistol route is a Viridian C5L laser/flashlight system. It has a strobe setting that makes you want to lay on the floor and puke when looking at it directly in a dark room.. I also agree with pistols for home defense personally but others feel shotguns or rifles are better. I have a SIG SP2022 with the viridian laser as my first grab if i hear a bump in the night and a a SR9c for the wife to hold down the fort upstairs..

Welcome to NES !

Shotgun (short barrel -- 18" is minimum allowed by law) with bird shot/target load.

Last edited:
I would take a month off from work to watch all of Nutnfancy's videos, then take a every one of Rob Pincus' Combat Focus Shooting courses. Then you'll be in a position to know what you need.

Welcome to NES !

Shotgun with bird shot/target load.

First off, thank you for the welcome.

Secondly, why bird shot? I didn't know that shot meant for birds was effective against people.

I should have clarified: I want to defend my home from unwanted people who wish harm on me. Not dogs, cats, birds, mice, or roaches. I apologize for my lack of clarification.

Secondly, why bird shot? I didn't know that shot meant for birds was effective against people.

I should have clarified: I want to defend my home from unwanted people who wish harm on me. Not dogs, cats, birds, mice, or roaches. I apologize for my lack of clarification.

Here's a video explaining the birdshot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU

Unfortunately he wasn't being sincere. Birdshot will not let you shoot someone through a door per VPOTUS tactics.

with 8K you can buy an small arsenal to defend your home. Your best bet is finding what you can shoot the best and most accurate. one thing I will recommend for home defense if you go the pistol route is a Viridian C5L laser/flashlight system. It has a strobe setting that makes you want to lay on the floor and puke when looking at it directly in a dark room.. I also agree with pistols for home defense personally but others feel shotguns or rifles are better. I have a SIG SP2022 with the viridian laser as my first grab if i hear a bump in the night and a a SR9c for the wife to hold down the fort upstairs..

So in addition to a firearm, I need a strobe light to confuse an intruder?

Whoever has been emailing you is sending you some bad info.

ETA not to mention that your op is a clear piece of junk

Unfortunately he wasn't being sincere. Birdshot will not let you shoot someone through a door per VPOTUS tactics.

Why would you want to shoot someone through a door -- you know, know your target and all that crazy "saftey" stuff ? [rolleyes]

Gentlemen,

I have been searching for a suitable home defense firearm as I have recently received my LTC after moving here from NYC.

My living situation:
I live in a condo in downtown boston
I live alone with a very cute dog
I am a white christian (I see that this seems to be important here on NES)
I have a budget of $8k for this firearm (ammo, safe, training, optics, etc)
I don't need to carry this on me at all times

Will your husband also need access to this gun? He should get an LTC too.

get a pressure cooker and use remaining cash to decorate your apartment into a jihadi paradise with pictures of naked goats and a burka for your dog. Any intruder, regardless if you are home of not, will soil their pants. If your pressure cooker is thick enough, you may also use it as a helmet and wear it while riding your Vespa to Starbucks.

Also, get some rope from home depot that looks similar to cannon fuse and stick it on all of your things, like your backpack, man-purse and Birkenstock sandals. Robbers or cops will never shoot you in fear of potential detonation.

first take $21 and go green here, then buy a variety of different ammo and go to a shoot most members will be more than willing to let you try a variety of different types of firearms. Oh and the rifle over penetrating is really going to be dependent of the round. if you are concerned about over penetrating get a .380acp [wink] or less they don't penetrate worth $#!?

Oh and I am a white christian but they don't seem to hold it against me welcome!

You're on the wrong forum, or your e-mail address ends with .gov, or both.

I apologize. I have just been reading emphasis on these being important in order to be assumed a sane American, here.

Will your husband also need access to this gun? He should get an LTC too.

I am a straight male so I do not have a husband (I live alone as I have mentioned, but it appears your reading comprehension is on the level of a kindergartner). And why must you reply 3 times to the thread with decreasingly relevant information? You posted a good bit of advice, then a good answer to an honest question, and now "this."

Last edited:
I suggest you do a combination of shotgun and handgun. Something like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are both great value and will do the job perfectly. As to the handgun that is going to be personal preference... suggest trying different models/calibers until you find one that you feel best with. I suggest nothing smaller then 9mm and lean towards a .45 or larger.

The above is just my personal opinion... lastly I would also include an AR or AK into the mix for the real SHTF scenario.

first take $21 and go green here, then buy a variety of different ammo and go to a shoot most members will be more than willing to let you try a variety of different types of firearms. Oh and the rifle over penetrating is really going to be dependent of the round. if you are concerned about over penetrating get a .380acp [wink] or less they don't penetrate worth $#!?

Oh and I am a white christian but they don't seem to hold it against me welcome!

Thank you. I may join membership of this forum. It depends on how I assimilate with people here, first.

I am guessing .380acp is a fairly slow round? Or perhaps I should say, "low energy" (velocity, mass)

I am a straight male so I do not have a husband (I live alone as I have mentioned, but it appears your reading comprehension is on the level of a kindergartner). And why must you reply 3 times to the thread with decreasingly relevant information? You posted a good bit of advice, then a good answer to an honest question, and now "this."

Ok whitey.

No ? Unless you're referring to those weapons "uncatorgorized" by the ATF as "other" or the pistols that take shotgun loads.

No I am talking about bird shot for anything other then shooting birds, or maybe rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom