• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller in Rock chuker

HarryPottar

NES Member
Hi

Did do a search and there were general questions on bullet pullers.

The other night after making a mistake I used my trusted kinetic bullet puller/floor hammer to unseat a few badly made rounds. Works great, a little slow and a little messy.

So I purchased the Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller / 9mm collet and thought I would use in my Rock Chucker single stage press. It's a little difficult to set up on the Rock Chucker because you can not see visually how to set.

I put an empty 9mm case in in the Rock Chucker and raised the cam. I then with 9mm collect in place & the upper part screwed in a good half way. I screwed in the main die until it touched the case, I then back off half a turn and locked in place. I then put a test case (no powder) and bullet seated and crimped from the Dillon 650 into the Rock Chucker and raised the cam. I then screwed in the inner die with the handle vertical which pushes the collect over the bullet.

I lowered the inner until I felt a little pressure when trying to lower the handle. Then I would lower the press cam and if the bullet was still in the case raise handle and lower the inner die a quarter turn. I would rinse and repeat until the bullet came out of the case.

No case damage so I know I'm not on the case. However the bullets always get stuck in the collet.
ONLY way to get them out is to unscrew the inner and take out the inner and push out from the top.

No matter what I adjustments I make either the bullet does not come free of the case or the bullet sits in the collet.

Any ideas?

Are you setting the puller up with the ram at its highest point of travel?
I never used a collect puller or a RCBS rock chucker other thsn years ago trying others set ups.

Maybe the ram not being at its highest point when you cam it over or push handle up the ram reaches its highest point cramming the bullet tighter into the collet.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the press cam all the way over and bullet at its highest point.

It's odd because at this setting the bullet is pulled but if I back off the bullet does not get pulled.

Yes, I have the press cam all the way over and bullet at its highest point.

It's odd because at this setting the bullet is pulled but if I back off the bullet does not get pulled.
hmm watch your ram closely the ram may reach its highest point of travel before the arm is all the way down. Then lift slighty as you bring the arm up ?

I just did it by feel with 5.56 and set up my single stage for minimal movement. No need to completely cycle for pulling. It is rythym and you will know after ten just how much to move.

Back
Top Bottom