How good are Sig's

Considering purchasing either a para CCW (single stack 7-45) or Sig P220S.
Both close in weight, size, capacity and both all stainless. are the Sig's as good as people say? I have shot 1911's and a couple of S&W (4506 and 457) did not like the smiths very much just felt wrong. Also i have read alot about Para reliability not being very good and Sig being VERY good.
Any suggestions?

I have and carry a Sig. That said, you really should try one out before
you make that call. Where are you located? Maybe one of the ranges around has
one you can rent for an hour.

I'm a big Sig fan. I'm convinced that they are great guns with high quality. Some folks have a problem with the DA/SA but I like them. Some have had some issues lately... I think Sig is dealing with growing pains.

FWIW I have a 220ST that shoots just unbelievable. I purchased some nice Hogue checkered grips for it. I'd give Sig some serious consideration but like firtree said- check them out before buying.

Both close in weight, size, capacity and both all stainless. are the Sig's as good as people say? I have shot 1911's and a couple of S&W (4506 and 457) did not like the smiths very much just felt wrong. Also i have read alot about Para reliability not being very good and Sig being VERY good.
Any suggestions?
All three of my Sigs, P239,P229, and P226 have performed flawlessly.
But, if the gun doesn't suit you in some way, reliability won't matter.
You really need to try one for size before you plunk down that much money.
I paid nearly $1K, without hesitation, for a new P226 stainless, after I had fired one.

I have a Sig P220 and a P239. Both are fantastic guns. If you are going to carry you may want to get the standard P220. It is lighter to carry and the recoil is no problem. They have a reputation of being one of the most accurate and reliable .45's right out of the box. Mine has been 100%.

My P239 is a single stack in .40 and .357Sig. All you need to do is swap barrels. The .40 mags work with both .40 and .357. Again, it's been 100%. A dream to carry and handles as well as it's big brothers.

SigSauer produces an excellent handgun. Find one that fits your
hand well and give it a whirl.

I own many of their products and they are among the
best. Some of the QC on the new stuff has been a bit
dodgy, but overall their guns are well put together.

-Mike

Last edited:

IMO buy a regular alloy 220 instead. (one of the black or two toned
jobs). The P220-ST does virtually nothing better than it's FAR lighter
counterpart does. I know, because I owned both, and I ended
up selling the P220-ST and keeping my old school german proof marked
P220. You would think the recoil difference is going to be huge or something,
but it's not. At least I don't notice one with standard pressure ammo- maybe
the 220ST has an advantage if you're using nuclear powered hand loads.

-Mike

Own both a P220 and a P226. They are both older version but are both good, with my preference for the 220. You need to see if you can rent or go shooting with somebody that has one. The transition from DA to SA can be hard to master. Other than that, damn good guns.

Joe R.

Don't over look the sig 229, great all around for cc and range use.Also 225 is a excellent gun but you will have to look around to find one.

SIG if those are the choices. Look for a DAK model if DA/SA bothers you. They tend to be around 6.5 - 7.5lbs pull depending on the model.

Otherwise, buy a Glock.

Good enough, but overpriced for new guns. They don't always pay shipping on warranty service. For a carry gun I would have gone for one of the more compact smiths.

I've owned quite a few Sigs over the year and would never own another one again. Why??? Not because it wasn't reliable or anything of that nature just because I HATE the grip angle and triggers on their guns. They are great reliable guns but for ME they just don't work. That being said should you buy one if you like it? ABSOLUTELY they are great guns for MANY people just not for ME. Their quality is extremely high and remember the state police use them for a reason.

Pete

I've owned quite a few Sigs over the year and would never own another one again. Why??? Not because it wasn't reliable or anything of that nature just because I HATE the grip angle and triggers on their guns. They are great reliable guns but for ME they just don't work. That being said should you buy one if you like it? ABSOLUTELY they are great guns for MANY people just not for ME. Their quality is extremely high and remember the state police use them for a reason.

Pete

+1. My first handgun was a Sig 229 9mm. I put thousands of rounds through it without any kind of glitch whatsoever. Hardball, JHP, Wolf, lead re-loads and anything and everything. I also had a 220, 239 and a 232, all reliable as hell. Eventually I figured out that the grip angle was not really for me and went elsewhere, but Sigs are great pistols. Highly recommended.

My SIG P229 DuoTone in .40 is the easiest pistol to shoot. It is dead nuts accurate, seems impossible to miss with. Never had a jam or anything like that, just goes. Downside is it is kinda fat, hard for me to hide in summer. Other than that, it is my all time favorite. Now, on the other hand, my Para OPS has been super reliable, and is what I carry when the SIG becomes hard to conceal. It is thin and disappears, and has no problems (other than one time when I put it wrong together, serves me right for taking it completely apart!) and I love it.

Last edited:
LOL... wrt grip angles... I thought it was the Glock grip angle that eveyone hated! I've never really noticed the difference unless I shot one after another.

LOL... wrt grip angles... I thought it was the Glock grip angle that eveyone hated! I've never really noticed the difference unless I shot one after another.

When you shoot 1911's all the time other guns just don't feel right. If I actually pick up a Glock or a Sig and close my eyes and then take an unloaded gun and do a draw with my eyes closed and when the gun is mounted in a forward position when I open my eyes the gun will actually point upward as oppossed to level. The point being made is not that I can shoot with my eyes closed with a 1911 just that with other guns the grip angle causes me to make adjustments to my draw and I'm not as quick with follow up shots because my sight alignment is compensated.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for all your input. It is not an easy descision when plunking down $800.00+ for a gun but I think I will go with the sig over the Par just because so many people sing their praises and I have heard ALOT of bad pub on the Paras. My only reason for thinking P220S (besides it looks so cool) is I am a little conscerned about the alloy frame. I do hand load some hot loads and I once had a S&W alloy frame and it showed wear rather quickly (<5,000 rnds). How tough is the P220R alloy?

... How tough is the P220R alloy?
Tough enough..get you over to the Sig forum and search for the threads on lubing the Sig pistol.
If you start by lubing it properly, it won't wear the frame.
The lube on a new Sig is not for shooting, it's just a preservative.
There are also some things that you will find about replacing springs on a regular basis that will keep your Sig running like new for many tens to hundreds of thousands of rounds.
Unless you are keen on turning your gun back in to the factory certified armorer for a detailed cleaning, pick up the Sig Armorer's DVD by Chris Orndorff. It's worth every penny of the $30.

I would take a Para 1911 over the Sig without any thought. I had a Para SSP 1911 and it was great. There are WAY more options with a 1911 than with a Sig. Another option would be the S&W M&P. YOu can't yet get it in a .45 but you get a great gun with a great grip angle and lifetime warranty. Plus you'll save $300 off of a Sig and in my opinion get a much better gun.

Thanks for all your input. It is not an easy descision when plunking down $800.00+ for a gun but I think I will go with the sig over the Par just because so many people sing their praises and I have heard ALOT of bad pub on the Paras. My only reason for thinking P220S (besides it looks so cool) is I am a little conscerned about the alloy frame. I do hand load some hot loads and I once had a S&W alloy frame and it showed wear rather quickly (<5,000 rnds). How tough is the P220R alloy?

At the risk of over generalizing, not to mention venturing where I do not have good statistics to back me, I'd venture to say that most of the time the frame of an auto suffers damage from firing, it has to do with brittleness of the frame material, not strength.

Damn yeah- the S&W MPs are great guns for a very reasonable price. They shoot real nice. Saw them at Rileys today for $500 and it brought tears to my eyes... cause I live in MA and will only have access to crippled ones.

I've always wanted a Sig. I've shot a bunch and found each to be very lefty unfriendly. They're dead to me now. Unless I can find a 210.

Back
Top Bottom