• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Patients Answered, "Do you have access to guns?" prior to Suicide Death

More women are emo attention whores/suicude chumps. Males don't attention whore to suicide because they rarely get validation/feedback for it. Men are also far less likely to seek or obtain help because society has told them that "feelings are illegal" etc, regardless of any clown world woke bullshit (which is a lie anyways) men are typically socially conditioned to believe that showing weakness at any time under any circumstance is bad.

None of this of course has much to do with guns though. The notion of guns really influencing suicide is garbage. Plus it's just anti claptrap anyways, it's a distraction from trying to get people to stop killing themselves, if that's the intent.
Where did you get your degree in psychology? Curious. I especially appreciate your use of the scientific method in your rigorous, fact-based analysis.

Where did you get your degree in psychology? Curious. I especially appreciate your use of the scientific method in your rigorous, fact-based analysis.
I don't have one, however i had a suicide chump in my life for the better part of a decade, so i know a little. Regardless anti gun faggotry about guns causing suicide isn't useful to anyone but antis. It's not going to help suffering people not kill themselves. The antis pushing that narrative could give a shit less, they just like attracting more useful idiots and memes beyond "save the chillllllldren" etc.

Suicide is typically impulsive. For example, people who jump off of bridges, heights, etc., and survive, usually relate that the second after they jumped, they realized they'd made a horrible mistake and wished they could undo their decision. (For a fictional example that's been praised for its verisimilitude, see "The View From Halfway Down" from Bojack Horseman.)
How the hell does that example prove anything about suicide being impulsive? All it proves is that people have survival instincts.

it's all simply box checking. "No" to all and move on. Most individual doctors and the medical assistants don't care one darn bit. It's hospital managment and doctor's associations being all PC.

Just lie.

The US has the highest civilian gun ownership in the world, by a lot, yet there are plenty of countries with higher suicide rates. People intent on killing themselves will find a way whether they own guns or not. Owning a gun doesn’t put you at higher risk of suicide

Suicide by gun is not an easy question to answer.

When England swapped from town gas to natural gas for cooking, suicides dropped. Some of that was from an overall drop in suicides. But some from the lack of ovens to stick your head into. (Town gas was very impu and had a lot of CO. That whole head in the oven thing makes no sense to us because we aren’t of that generation.)

But the question is foolish. Should we get rid of bridges, ravines, tall buildings, bathtubs?

The answer is suicide would drop if all guns were gone. Just like no more traffic accidents if we got rid of all of the cars.

When England swapped from town gas to natural gas for cooking, suicides dropped. Some of that was from an overall drop in suicides. But some from the lack of ovens to stick your head into. (Town gas was very impu and had a lot of CO. That whole head in the oven thing makes no sense to us because we aren’t of that generation.)

But the question is foolish. Should we get rid of bridges, ravines, tall buildings, bathtubs?

The answer is suicide would drop if all guns were gone. Just like no more traffic accidents if we got rid of all of the cars.
Thank you! At least someone else on this forum passed reading comprehension.

Even that's debatable. Canada implemented a handgun registry and saw a drop in handgun suicide. They also saw suicide by hanging rise at parity. Like 1:1 replacement

I just want to say that anyone on this thread that believes firearms do not contribute one surplus suicide death annually in the U.S. should probably refrain from joining the debate club.

Most of the suicides I responded to were by hanging. I can think of only two in 35 years that were with firearms. One was a rifle barrel into the mouth and trigger "pulled" with his toe. The other was some sort of small European semi auto.

Second most common was jumping off a bridge or tall building.

I also had one using Chloroform, just like on TV and the movies.

Poisonings or intentional overdoses were not uncommon, but in many cases it wasn't possible for me to tell if it was intentional or accidental. Maybe the ME could figure that one out, but not me.

Ooohhh! Burnt! You got me.

I posted that (which supports your point) because no one was debating me on the facts. They just put in their tinfoil hats and said 'Merica, more or less.
No one can debate you on facts when only those points you respect are counted. I can tell you my experiences with therapists, suicide, and attempts thereof, but you've made it clear that yours are the only ones valid.
Congrats on Bogarting a conversation that wasn't even a debate in the direction you're trying to make it..."just one life" isn't a useful metric, so it's not worthy of discussion.

I just want to say that anyone on this thread that believes firearms do not contribute one surplus suicide death annually in the U.S. should probably refrain from joining the debate club.

One death? You’re arguing semantics then? If it’s statistically meaningless why bother arguing the point?

No one can debate you on facts when only those points you respect are counted. I can tell you my experiences with therapists, suicide, and attempts thereof, but you've made it clear that yours are the only ones valid.
Congrats on Bogarting a conversation that wasn't even a debate in the direction you're trying to make it..."just one life" isn't a useful metric, so it's not worthy of discussion.
My only point is that guns do contribute surplus suicide deaths in some unquantifiable amount.

If you want this place to be an echo chamber, fine. But there is an amendment before the 2nd.

I don’t agree that most suicides are on impulse. I think it’s actually the opposite.

The sudden ones I think are “shame suicides” where the person can’t face something.

Folks with mental illness have a longer path. I will say I was asked to go through this woman’s (who killed herself) PC to look for any assets or accounts. I also helped going through her papers looking for the same. Mental illness over the span of ten years brought her from a model employee to unemployable. At some point she realized she had six months of money left. She gave her cat away, paid up her bills and mortgage for 3 months in advance. Worked on her note to her lawyer. Checked Monster.com at 6 AM and took her life shortly there after. Reading through someone’s life (that I never met) really impacted me to my core.

Post script: when the guy who plowed her driveway was told about her passing he openly wept.

From time to time I think of her and how hopelessly alone she must have felt but I also believe she is in a better place now.

Last edited:
My only point is that guns do contribute surplus suicide deaths in some unquantifiable amount.

Indisputable. I concede that that statement is almost certainly true. But that amount is definitely unquantifiable. At least until we can survey those who committed suicide with an available gun and simultaneously run a control of the same people in the same circumstances without an available gun. We'll just never know.

What is quantifiable (albeit with a huge degree of imprecision) is between one half million to two million defensive uses of firearms against armed felonies each year.

You can't focus on the costs to the exclusion of the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom