How To: Individual Importing a Shotgun from Europe?

Mountain

NES Member
A friend of a friend in Europe builds custom shotguns and could set me up with something nice for reasonable cost. I'm thinking I'd need a FFL to prepare an ATF form 6 for this, but I think said FFL would need to have a specific license for importation, correct? I'm in MA if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated if anyone can shed light on the process and also if anyone knows of a FFL who could take care of the importation (if necessary).

A friend of a friend in Europe builds custom shotguns and could set me up with something nice for reasonable cost. I'm thinking I'd need a FFL to prepare an ATF form 6 for this, but I think said FFL would need to have a specific license for importation, correct? I'm in MA if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated if anyone can shed light on the process and also if anyone knows of a FFL who could take care of the importation (if necessary).
08 FFL is required to import firearms that will go into commerce. The ATF will approve a form 6 for a non 08 on a case by case basis if the gun is being imported but not for commerce. So if you purchase from someone over seas and then want to bring in for yourself, this is an example of not for commerce.

But with all this said, most non 08 FFLs do not have the know how or infrastructure to import firearms. In most cases you are better off going with an 08 who is in the business of doing this for people like you.

08 FFL is required to import firearms that will go into commerce. The ATF will approve a form 6 for a non 08 on a case by case basis if the gun is being imported but not for commerce. So if you purchase from someone over seas and then want to bring in for yourself, this is an example of not for commerce.

But with all this said, most non 08 FFLs do not have the know how or infrastructure to import firearms. In most cases you are better off going with an 08 who is in the business of doing this for people like you.

I have hear that Simpsons LTD was good for importing firearms for people. Here is a link to their web site
Thank you both- that's helpful info. My friends are in a 'southeastern' European country and would have been happy to send me home with a new shotgun. I have no doubt they'd get me out of their country with no hassle, it's the arrival in Logan that would have been interesting LOL.

you'll never be able to carry it into the country

The Importer (FLL08) has to mark the gun in a certain way to please the Feds.

Then there are the export and import licenses, hoping that Uncle Joe has not banned the import of what you are trying to get your hands on, etc etc etc

Bowmanarms.com
They gave a whole importation system,contact them for more information, but it may not be what you’re looking for.

RC

you'll never be able to carry it into the country

The Importer (FLL08) has to mark the gun in a certain way to please the Feds.

Then there are the export and import licenses, hoping that Uncle Joe has not banned the import of what you are trying to get your hands on, etc etc etc

LOL because my friends had the means to get me on a plane out of their country with a shotgun (direct flight to USA on their national airline), they didn't understand the ramifications when I arrive in the "Land of the Free". I'm willing to bet there are few prosecutors who don't get rock hard or gushing wet over the prospects of an international arms trafficking conviction, even if it's only a O/U or S/S shotgun. [rofl]

Bowmanarms.com
They gave a whole importation system,contact them for more information, but it may not be what you’re looking for.

RC

Thanks, I'll check it out.

i watched some vids on youtube not long ago on sending shotguns from england to the u.s. and was bowled over by the shipping cost, taxes, tariffs and fees from both ends. but if ya got it spend it, ya can't take it with you some say.

i watched some vids on youtube not long ago on sending shotguns from england to the u.s. and was bowled over by the shipping cost, taxes, tariffs and fees from both ends. but if ya got it spend it, ya can't take it with you some say.
The fees make sense with custom made $50,000 shotguns. But for anything "common" its prohibitive unless done at scale

The fees make sense with custom made $50,000 shotguns. But for anything "common" its prohibitive unless done at scale
yeah...the stuff they were shipping to the u.s. was nothing that stood out as spectacular, but still...

Back
Top Bottom