HR 1022 now has co-sponsors!!!!!

H.R.1022
Title: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn [NY-4] (introduced 2/13/2007) Cosponsors (12)
Latest Major Action: 2/13/2007 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. COSPONSORS(12), ALPHABETICAL (Sort: by date)

* Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007
Rep Crowley, Joseph [NY-7] - 3/7/2007
Rep Fattah, Chaka [PA-2] - 3/7/2007
Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51] - 3/7/2007
Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 3/7/2007
Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 3/7/2007
Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-14] - 3/7/2007
Rep Meehan, Martin T. [MA-5] - 3/7/2007
Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 3/7/2007
Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 3/7/2007
Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 3/7/2007
Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD-8] - 3/7/2007

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR01022:@@@P

TIME TO GET SERIOUS FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR01022:@@@P

TIME TO GET SERIOUS FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well now...those are surprises....not.

I sure am glad I called and wrote Barney Frank's office this week, looks like I got him to co-sponser the bill.

Lot of good contacting your congressman does in Massachusetts.

I sure am glad I called and wrote Barney Frank's office this week, looks like I got him to co-sponser the bill.

Taxation without representation. How is representation even possible when it's so difficult to find two citizens on the same page about ANYTHING. They should all publish an official tally of e-mails and phone calls their office receives and they should be recorded by a neutral individual. Then if they vote against that tally, they should be booted from office.

Well, what the heck, I guess I'll try writing my congressman.

Last edited:

The problem is that us gun owners are our own worst enemy, if every gun owner in the state showed up to vote and voted only the pro-second amendment ticket we would see an overwhelming defeat of these liberal commies, and if some managed to keep their positions it would be enough of a wake up call to make them listen.

The problem is that us gun owners are our own worst enemy, if every gun owner in the state showed up to vote and voted only the pro-second amendment ticket we would see an overwhelming defeat of these liberal commies, and if some managed to keep their positions it would be enough of a wake up call to make them listen.

Amen....I've been doing research on gun owner voter turnout and the numbers, (or lack) I was seeing made me too discouraged to continue. One statistic was a poll of 12,000 gunowners, (that's a large statistical sample by the way) and the voting percentage was: 5.6% [crying]

This is why I'm getting sick of being involved in the shooting sports. I love shooting but I absolutely HATE all the political B.S. that's involved with being a shooter.

This is why I'm getting sick of being involved in the shooting sports. I love shooting but I absolutely HATE all the political B.S. that's involved with being a shooter.

Well, it even goes beyond that. It goes to deep divisions within our ranks. Trust me when I say, I'm not a paranoid person - however, I am keenly aware of the reaction on the rifle range when I open my rifle case and start setting up my M1A, or sight in my IMI Model B on the 50-yard lane. I have seen more than one set of rolling eyes, heard more than one time whispers of "do you believe this guy" or "what the hell is that?". I have seen 2-round magazine limits enforced on the rifle range and had flyers torn down when I tried to get an AR-15 target shooting group together. Before you say it - I'm not a rifle range mag dumper either. I know they are out there, but I am not one. Truth is, I could care less about hunting personally, but I would fight with everything to ensure hunters rights, as I support hunting - even though I quit hunting 20-years ago. Trouble is, the reverse generally (not always) can't be said about hunters feelings about target shooters - especially those who favor military rifles.

Until we unite as one cohesive force, our rights will slip away. Military rifle shooters will be the first pins down, (we usually are), but the rest will fall unles we are a united front. Until everyone from every shooting sport believes in and fully supports the rights, freedoms and choices of others, we are all little more than legislative targets....

Until we unite as one cohesive force, our rights will slip away. Military rifle shooters will be the first pins down, (we usually are), but the rest will fall unles we are a united front. Until everyone from every shooting sport believes in and fully supports the rights, freedoms and choices of others, we are all little more than legislative targets....

I've been saying that for a long time. Hell, I see it in the same general sport... I'm a cowboy action shooter...but you get the IPSC and IDPA guys that think we're nuts... Or think that it's a waste of time. Hey, we're pretty much Retro-IDPA. LOL! But they think that their guns are more important in the bill that passed than single actions. It drives me nuts.

But still, you're right. All of us have the thing that goes bang. Some just use it in different ways. And when they succeed in taking one away, the rest are sure to follow.

I've been saying that for a long time. Hell, I see it in the same general sport... I'm a cowboy action shooter...but you get the IPSC and IDPA guys that think we're nuts... Or think that it's a waste of time. Hey, we're pretty much Retro-IDPA. LOL! But they think that their guns are more important in the bill that passed than single actions. It drives me nuts.

But still, you're right. All of us have the thing that goes bang. Some just use it in different ways. And when they succeed in taking one away, the rest are sure to follow.

Hey I take offense to that comment!!! I'm an IPSC guy and I think Cowboy Action shooting looks like a ton of fun... Might not be my cup of tea but def. looks like a fun time. We all lose whenever they take away any more of our guns. Even if it is something we don't care about it will affect us in the long run.

One would hope that the Zumbo incident becomes a pivotal moment to start closing the gaps in our ranks.

Well, it even goes beyond that. It goes to deep divisions within our ranks. Trust me when I say, I'm not a paranoid person - however, I am keenly aware of the reaction on the rifle range when I open my rifle case and start setting up my M1A, or sight in my IMI Model B on the 50-yard lane. I have seen more than one set of rolling eyes, heard more than one time whispers of "do you believe this guy" or "what the hell is that?". I have seen 2-round magazine limits enforced on the rifle range and had flyers torn down when I tried to get an AR-15 target shooting group together. Before you say it - I'm not a rifle range mag dumper either. I know they are out there, but I am not one. Truth is, I could care less about hunting personally, but I would fight with everything to ensure hunters rights, as I support hunting - even though I quit hunting 20-years ago. Trouble is, the reverse generally (not always) can't be said about hunters feelings about target shooters - especially those who favor military rifles.

This is why I make a conscious effort to STAY AWAY from clubs where people
do that kind of thing. I don't need a bunch of fudds or trap on sundays
types breathing down my neck. (None of that... "YEW BOY IZ RAPID FIRIN!"
The irony is one of the clubs I use is typically frequented by hunters, but
interestingly enough I have not run into -ONE- person that was ever really critical
of the guns that I've had out on the line. I absolutely refuse to fund "antis"
at clubs if I can possibly avoid it. I like clubs where at least most of the
members get along.

I do agree with what you say though- those who shoot the "controversial"
guns typically are more apt to defend everyone's rights. I may call the
range nazis "fudds" or "trap on sundays" types but I would never
interfere with or say anything critical about their chosen shooting hobbies, so I don't
really get the derision coming in the other direction. It makes no
sense. (and if they didn't continually criticize the other shooting sports,
we wouldn't even have developed pet names for these a**h***s. )

-Mike

C-pher-

Even though I have no desire to own a single action revolver, I was still
pissed that barrios gutted the bill that badly. I'm mostly an auto guy
but I was hoping SOMEBODY would get SOMETHING out of it. IMO more
people getting more of (any kind) of handgun is a "Good Thing" for
every shooter as a collective.

IMO every American should have the right to own something down from a
black powder musket all the way up to a GE minigun. A defeat of any
regulation which in any way blocks that is good for 2nd amendment rights
as a whole.

-Mike

Last edited:

+1

Quite frankly I could care less about hunting. I for one don't quite understand the mindset of hunters who seem to look down on shooters who own military type rifles - and for the most part just use them for target shooting - and never actually kill a living thing with them. While the hunters themselves are the ones that are using their fancy high end rifles and shotguns - to go out and actually kill living things.

What kind of fu&$^ed up morality is that?

I got my LTC Class A - I bought a couple of semi-auto handguns - I just got my first couple of CMP Garands - and I have more coming. I fully intend on getting an AR of some form - an M1A, and whatever else I can afford, pass by the wife - fit in the safe. I truly hope that I never have to shoot anything more than paper targets with any of them. I hope I never have to shoot an innocent animal with any of them.

I didn't do any of this because I needed another hobby - although I have to admit that shooting is fun. I would have been just as happy to spend the sizeable amount of money that this will entail on something else - a new computer, a motorcycle, a flat screen tv, a few trips, woodworking tools, etc. - but none of these things will matter much if they are being carted out my front door by looters - or the government starts down the road of taking away even more of our rights than they have already.

I just figured it was time to start standing up for what I believed in - which is a society more along the lines of what our founding fathers thought we should have - than what we have today. I look at the guns as a protest. They are a very clear way of sending a message that I am exercising my rights as a citizen to do what every person should have the right to do - defend themselves. Like we told Zumbo when he wrote that now infamous column - the 2nd amendment is not about hunting. The people who don't get that are the ones with the perception problem - not me - and not any of the other people who choose to use military type firearms.

Last edited:
One would hope that the Zumbo incident becomes a pivotal moment to start closing the gaps in our ranks.

I was reading the High Road forums the other day and there was a new apology posted by Zumbo where he pledged to become fully involved in the fight to defend the 2nd amendment - for everybody. From what I read it sounded like he has had somewhat of an enlightening. Don't know how true it is - time will tell.

I do believe that Zumbo could become a potent force against the anti's - and to teach the Fudd's a lesson or two about which side the fence they are really sitting. With the distortion in the mainstream media of the true nature of the Zumbo thing - and the use of the Zumbo incident by the Brady's and others like them - if Zumbo was to come out and give them both barrells as a born again 2nd Amendment supporter it might truly be a good thing . Time will tell whether that really happens though.

Just To Let You Know....

I see this thread has slipped into the second page. I suppose it's understandable - even I get that complacent, helpless feeling when the empty suits start to stir in DC. However, I thought I'd let you know that the list of cosponsors is on the rise. I don't see a strong front to potentially filibuster this bill if it moves forward so now may be the time to act.

I understand folks are all hooked into E-Mail and online polls, (it's so easy isn't it?) - gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done "something", but until I'm blue in the face I will proclaim that for the most part E-Mail and online internet polls are a monumental waste of time. What needs to happen is good old fashioned letters and phone calls to all elected officials, (regardless of their stand). What needs to happen is bolstering of the ranks and appeals to the hunters and boltgunners. A letter writing campaign to folks like Cabelas, Dicks, Zander Mountain and other large pro-gun companies wouldn't hurt either.

I'm sure Zumbo didn't help much, but it seems the anti-gun defeat in DC and elsewhere have not bolstered our cause either. If it were so, the updated co-sponsors list would not have expanded to 30:

H.R. 1022 CO-SPONSORS 30 NOW!!!!!

Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007
Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 3/13/2007
Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23] - 3/9/2007
Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 3/9/2007
Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 3/13/2007
Rep Delahunt, William D. [MA-10] - 3/13/2007
Rep Eshoo, Anna G. [CA-14] - 3/9/2007
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 3/9/2007
Rep Hirono, Mazie K. [HI-2] - 3/13/2007
Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] - 3/15/2007
Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] - 3/15/2007
Rep Markey, Edward J. [MA-7] - 3/13/2007
Rep McGovern, James P. [MA-3] - 3/13/2007
Rep Miller, Brad [NC-13] - 3/9/2007
Rep Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [NJ-8] - 3/13/2007
Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 3/15/2007
Rep Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [NY-28] - 3/13/2007
Rep Tauscher, Ellen O. [CA-10] - 3/15/2007
Rep Wexler, Robert [FL-19] - 3/9/2007

I see James McGovern added his name to the list. He is supposed to be my Rep. I sent him a letter and haven't heard back from him. Looks like all the MA Reps are signing on. Not really surprised.

I see this thread has slipped into the second page. I suppose it's understandable - even I get that complacent, helpless feeling when the empty suits start to stir in DC. However, I thought I'd let you know that the list of cosponsors is on the rise. I don't see a strong front to potentially filibuster this bill if it moves forward so now may be the time to act.

I understand folks are all hooked into E-Mail and online polls, (it's so easy isn't it?) - gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done "something", but until I'm blue in the face I will proclaim that for the most part E-Mail and online internet polls are a monumental waste of time. What needs to happen is good old fashioned letters and phone calls to all elected officials, (regardless of their stand). What needs to happen is bolstering of the ranks and appeals to the hunters and boltgunners. A letter writing campaign to folks like Cabelas, Dicks, Zander Mountain and other large pro-gun companies wouldn't hurt either.

I'm sure Zumbo didn't help much, but it seems the anti-gun defeat in DC and elsewhere have not bolstered our cause either. If it were so, the updated co-sponsors list would not have expanded to 30:

Same'ol, same'ol... 18 of the 30 from the 3 usual suspects states (MA, CA, NY). [rolleyes]. Guaranteed there will be more added (I fully expect the 7 remaining MA delegates to cosponsor the bill. the good news (if one could call it good news), is that this bill doesn't have the nearly same momentum as the previous version did. The previously filed bill started out with 68 cosponsors (ended up with 111).

While I agree that emails and phone calls need to be made, now is not really the time... it's still to early in the game. The time to hammer the asshats is after it's discharged from the Judiciary Committee and the bill is fresh in everyones minds.

I'm a cowboy action shooter...but you get the IPSC and IDPA guys that think we're nuts... Or think that it's a waste of time. Hey, we're pretty much Retro-IDPA. LOL! But they think that their guns are more important in the bill that passed than single actions. It drives me nuts.---C-pher

I’m a IDPA/IPSC guy and I like the idea of shooting SA revolvers, double barrel or pump shot guns and of course lever guns. Yeah C-pher your guns are just fine.
But I don’t know why you got screwed in the recent bill.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Wise words indeed.

But, it won't happen, though we shouldn't stop trying. We can't afford to give up.

As long as Zumbo's and Petzal's exist (Fudd's), we are condemned to fight a "Soft War" with one hand tied behind our backs.

+1

Quite frankly I could care less about hunting. I for one don't quite understand the mindset of hunters who seem to look down on shooters who own military type rifles - and for the most part just use them for target shooting - and never actually kill a living thing with them. While the hunters themselves are the ones that are using their fancy high end rifles and shotguns - to go out and actually kill living things.

I hunt WITH military type rifles. I use an AK or a Romanian Dragunov in the woods. I remember a few years back, hunting with my M14, and having other hunters walk a semi-circle around me, they must have thought I was nuts.

I frequently remind the mouthy ones that their precious "hunting rifles" are NOT protected by the 2A, like my military weapons are supposed to be. That rankles their feathers, for sure. Strangely enough, up here, the Skeet Shooters are very sympathetic to our cause of protecting military weapons. They, for some reason, get it.

Yeah, McGovern's joining up with these asswipes has me good and pissed off. Here's the letter (the old-fashioned kind) that I wrote to him upon reading this thread:

18 March 2007

Congressman James P. McGovern
430 Cannon Building
Washington, DC 20515

Re: Don’t Sponsor HR 1022

Dear Congressman McGovern:

I recently read that you are now a co-sponsor of HR 1022. This is the first time in my life I have chosen to write to an elected official. I am writing to let you know that I am intensely displeased to hear that you are a co-sponsor of this bill. By co-sponsoring this legislation, you are certainly not representing my interests, nor do I believe your action to represent the interests of the majority of your constituents.

This bill is bad news for law-abiding gun owners, sport shooters, and collectors, who already spend an amazing amount of time and effort trying to understand and obey existing gun laws. It is good news for criminals and terrorists, who will illegaly own and use firearms against us no matter what laws you co-sponsor, and who will feel emboldened when the citizenry is more disarmed than ever.

I urge you to withdraw your support for HR 1022.

Sincerely,

Mark A. Worthington

I was planning to call Mr McGovern Friday while I was driving to NY; the weather put paid to that idea. I will be writing him tonight. Perhaps if he gets enough calls & letters we can make him change his mind.

Can't we expect a handful of Democrats to vote against HR 1022 along with virtually all Republicans? And isn't the margin of Democrat control miniscule?

[sad]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom