Hunting Dogs

saltyoldman

NES Member
If you hunt with a dog, let see a picture of your best friend and tell us how and why you choose him. Did you train him or her yourself. And how did you do this past season

This is Freddie. He is three and half years old. Last hunting season we easily limited out in pheasant hunting. He is just a joy to work with and listens well. He truly is my best bud. I choose an english setter because I had one as a kid (although untrained) and knew his temperament would be great. I had help training him since this was my first attempt at training. The help was both professional and through the American Hunting Dog Club. Ever other week during the spring and summer the club has a training clinic on Sundays. So he is on planted birds, hopefully, thru wing, shot and fall. Lets see your guy or gal
Freddie small file.jpg

This is Guinness. A friend knew he was being fostered. Got him at 1 years old, almost zero training and no hunt training at that point. Got him in November and was able to get him out twice during late duck season that first year.

I’ve done all his training. He is an amazing retriever! He just picked it up right from day one. That was his first water retrieve on a goose, 12+ pounds!

His yard training bumpers live in a five gallon bucket with pheasant and duck wings. His first day of pheasant hunting looked like he had been doing it for a couple years, very readable.

The only ‘downside’ is super high energy during bird season.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.jpeg
    IMG_5679.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5677.jpeg
    IMG_5677.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
Uncle Fester, most hunting dogs are 90 percent family pet and only 10 percent hunting friend. Whenever I get 90 per cent of what i seek.. i see it as win. That dog will be a loved addition to your family....

Broc what great pictures of that Brittany... pointing then retrieving.

Jkelly rex looks like he enjoys himself

I’ve had labs that didn’t hunt. They’re still family!
👍 It all depends on genetics and there’s no life guards at the gene pool.
I’ve seen great dogs and not so great dogs all from the same litter.
I’m just here for the TTT because I love me some working dogs.
Mine doesn’t hunt…….. Not birds anyway but, you can bet your life she’ll work.

1715547472800.png

@cstockwell you must have some cool pics????

After owning many working labs, we decided to get a pudelpointer after my grand daughter had a severe asthmatic episode triggered by allergies.

Rigby points a woodcock: 1000002851.jpg

And retrieves a goose:

1000001992.jpg

And a duck:

1000001436.jpg
Early season woodcock:
580.jpg

And his favorite is pheasants:
1000000232.jpg

As for training, I highly recommend joining a hunting dog club. I was a long time member of several retriever clubs with my labs, and now I am a member of a couple NAVHDA chapters. Hunting season only last a few short months. The rest of the year is training season. Get out with your buddy and spend time with a bunch of other people that enjoy the same things. Most clubs have training days throughout the summer. You and your dog will learn a lot, and you will meet some new friends and hunting buddies. Plus you will have a much better trained dog come opening day.

After owning many working labs, we decided to get a pudelpointer after my grand daughter had a severe asthmatic episode triggered by allergies.

Rigby points a woodcock:View attachment 880456

And retrieves a goose:

View attachment 880459

And a duck:

View attachment 880460
Early season woodcock:
View attachment 880463

And his favorite is pheasants:
View attachment 880462

As for training, I highly recommend joining a hunting dog club. I was a long time member of several retriever clubs with my labs, and now I am a member of a couple NAVHDA chapters. Hunting season only last a few short months. The rest of the year is training season. Get out with your buddy and spend time with a bunch of other people that enjoy the same things. Most clubs have training days throughout the summer. You and your dog will learn a lot, and you will meet some new friends and hunting buddies. Plus you will have a much better trained dog come opening day.
This is so important!
I have friends with Guinness’ relatives and they train in a group setting. SO much easier with extra hands and the dogs get breaks, so not overworked.
My schedule really doesn’t give me that opportunity much, but training is an every day part of life for a hunting dog.
All my dogs, even the non hunters have had the same training routine. It’s just a part of my life as much as theirs.

Uncle Fester, most hunting dogs are 90 percent family pet and only 10 percent hunting friend. Whenever I get 90 per cent of what i seek.. i see it as win. That dog will be a loved addition to your family....

Broc what great pictures of that Brittany... pointing then retrieving.

Jkelly rex looks like he enjoys himself
I’ve had labs that didn’t hunt. They’re still family!

That picture was shortly after we brought her home about 8 years ago. She's a been much loved addition to the family that I take field hunting occasionally, but mostly she's just running free in the woods and enjoying herself.

What breeder did you get Guiness from? And do you know what training groups they train with?
I didn’t get Guinness direct from the breeder. He was fostered by the original owner at 11 months and taken in by an English Lab breeder, in New Hampshire. My (now) friend Sharon found out about him and a mutual friend let me know.

His breeder is also in New Hampshire I believe. My friends are in the Haverhill area and train at their club there, HHR&GC, and also travel to Vermont a bit. All the dogs do hunt trials and hunt.

Last edited:
That picture was shortly after we brought her home about 8 years ago. She's a been much loved addition to the family that I take field hunting occasionally, but mostly she's just running free in the woods and enjoying herself.
I got my Drake at 4 months. Could never cure him of the gun shyness. Had it when I got him. From the day I brought him home, sharp, sudden noises bothered him. I tried all the suggested remedies at the time, 2004-5. Nothing helped.
But man, he had blind retrieves, multiple blinds, whistle commands and hand commands down! 100 yards away, would sit and wait on whistle/hand command. Corps of Engineers people at the Canal finally stopped arguing over the difference between ‘on leash’ and ‘under owner’s control’. Never could hunt him though.

Back
Top Bottom