Hunting with a Shotgun

I got 60 acres of land and theres a lot of deer the past 2 years. I just got my shotgun last year and went out hunting last year twice. Came close to getting a deer, but didnt.
My question to you relates to hunting at night. I used a homemade treestand. Do you carry a flashlight and hit the deer with it to freeze them up? Its too uncomfortable to hold the light and sit on the stand and hold my pump action. Is there any lights bright enough that mount on the gun to make it easier, or do I need to shoot and pray?

First Question: Where are you located?

If its Mass, then take a look-see at the abstracts. If you're not from Mass, then disregard.

Even easier: Here's the cut & pasted rules pertaining to the hunting hours...

Hunting hours are from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset on each day of open season except for:
• hunting for rabbit, hare, fox and coyote which closes at midnight. See Sunrise-Sunset table.
• spring turkey hunting
• raccoon and opossum hunting
• WMA Reg. #10 which states that no person shall hunt before sunrise or after sunset on any WMA where pheasant or quail are stocked during the pheasant or quail season (Oct. 16–Nov. 27) except for the hunting of raccoons and opossums between 9pm and 3am.

Oh yeah, IIRC use of artificial lights for hunting is also a no-no in MA.

Last edited:
I honestly thought this was a gag post.

A flashlight is invaluable heading to and from your stand before and after legal hunting hours, but keep it in our pack if actually hunting. We don't jack deer in these parts.

Read up and best of luck.

Another good tip is to make sure that you unload your firearm before hoisting it up to your stand (climbing with a shotgun is a good way to get hurt.)

I got 60 acres of land and theres a lot of deer the past 2 years. I just got my shotgun last year and went out hunting last year twice. Came close to getting a deer, but didnt.
My question to you relates to hunting at night. I used a homemade treestand. Do you carry a flashlight and hit the deer with it to freeze them up? Its too uncomfortable to hold the light and sit on the stand and hold my pump action. Is there any lights bright enough that mount on the gun to make it easier, or do I need to shoot and pray?

This is why we don't like "City Folk" hunting in the western end of the state.[rolleyes]

Do you have a hunting license?

Do you have a hunting license?

Wont say online.

I dont hunt alot. So flame me if ya want. However last year they ate literally 20,000$ in stock on my property. So i will kill them since Hinder and other deer repellants arent working.

Wont say online.

I dont hunt alot. So flame me if ya want. However last year they ate literally 20,000$ in stock on my property. So i will kill them since Hinder and other deer repellants arent working.

I hope that you don't show such blatant disregard for all of the other firearms laws. See, where I come from, we call that poaching. It's illegal, immoral, and just plain wrong. It's folks like YOU, who make the rest of us look bad, because when you get caught jacking deer at night, you will be front page news, and all of the anti's will be saying "See...that's what people with guns do". If you lost $20,000 in stock, there are legal means of dealing with the problem. Please, do us all a favor, and look into it.

Thank you sir.
Wasn't trying to be rude I was really just asking a question. I plan on taking a Hunters course this year if I find time so I can learn about MA laws

I would'nt advise the shoot-n-pray thing..unless your prayin' the game warden or enviornmental police don't throw you in prison.

Last edited:
Stupid Question: If you are on your own property can you hunt anytime or do you have to follow the hunting rules (ie deer season, time of day, etc)?

The General Laws of Massachusetts

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIX. AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION

CHAPTER 131. INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES

Chapter 131: Section 1I. Damage by moose or deer

Section 1I. It shall be the responsibility of the division to provide technical assistance and advice regarding the control or elimination of damage by moose or deer to property which is deemed to be actively devoted to agricultural or horticultural uses as defined by sections one and two of chapter sixty-one A. The director of the division, or his designee, shall respond to all requests for assistance made under the provisions of this section within fifteen days of the receipt of such requests.

I hope their 15 days are more realistic than other deadlines given by MA laws! [rofl] I mean after all how long is the growin' season?

The General Laws of Massachusetts

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIX. AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION

CHAPTER 131. INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES

Chapter 131: Section 1I. Damage by moose or deer

Section 1I. It shall be the responsibility of the division to provide technical assistance and advice regarding the control or elimination of damage by moose or deer to property which is deemed to be actively devoted to agricultural or horticultural uses as defined by sections one and two of chapter sixty-one A. The director of the division, or his designee, shall respond to all requests for assistance made under the provisions of this section within fifteen days of the receipt of such requests.

I hope their 15 days are more realistic than other deadlines given by MA laws! [rofl] I mean after all how long is the growin' season?

They will issue special permits etc. Go through the proper channels and document everything.

From post #15 @ http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...87342-Hunting-on-a-private-land-out-of-season

n mass, you will contact the Mass Environmental Police 800 632 8075 to record the problem. You will be referred to contact the Mass Wildlife HQ @ 508 389 6300 for a degradation permit. Mass wildlife will check with MEP to see if a history exists of intrusion. If a permit is issued, you must make a log of all animals taken under the permit. To qualify for the permit the crops being threatned must be a major income source. Over 51% of your annual income. This is not a permit for some private garden or decorative flowers. The only persons authorized to take animals under the permit are: 1. Landowner, 2. Immediate family of the landowner, 3. Full time regular employee of the buisness. Not a contractor or someone hired to kill the animals and then be fired. The animals destroyed must be in the act of destroying the crops that are being protected by the permit. Just because the animal is seen on the property does not meet the requirement.

Also all animals taken must be turned over to the EPO's

IANAL so here is the MGL link

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/131-37.htm

or for more info of problem critters

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regul...ons_damage.htm

After catching up with the last two pages, my only advice is to read up on the Abstracts. If the deer are still an issue, do what has already been mentioned and contact the EPO.

There are also a lot of legally licensed hunters looking for areas to hunt. Hunters are a great management tool, know the regs and will probably teach you what you need to know.

I meant for off-season, which this currently is for deer.

Shotgun!? Why the hell arent you poaching your deer with a rifle like any other good jack lighting poacher??

Invite some real hunters in to thin your herd or look into the crop damage permit options that might be available. My crop farmer friend in NY gets 15 doe permits a year and year round crop damage permits if he asks for them where he can shoot deer all summer with a rifle in a zone that is usually shotgun only.

Ps. Please let us know your general location so I can be sure to stay far away from you....

Back
Top Bottom