Hunting with a Shotgun

Thank you sir.
Wasn't trying to be rude I was really just asking a question. I plan on taking a Hunters course this year if I find time so I can learn about MA laws

Wont say online.

I dont hunt alot. So flame me if ya want. However last year they ate literally 20,000$ in stock on my property. So i will kill them since Hinder and other deer repellants arent working.

Which all adds up to the fact that you dont or didnt have a hunting license. Which makes you a poacher. Not a very bright one either.... [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

, or do I need to shoot and pray?

Brilliant, that is how poachers like yourself end up killing people. [rolleyes] Shooting at sounds in the woods in the dark. [rolleyes] Fing idiot!!! You are a perfect example of a person that should be IQ tested before given a gun permit! Do you even have a FID or LTC?

I got 60 acres of land and theres a lot of deer the past 2 years. I just got my shotgun last year and went out hunting last year twice. Came close to getting a deer, but didnt.
My question to you relates to hunting at night. I used a homemade treestand. Do you carry a flashlight and hit the deer with it to freeze them up? Its too uncomfortable to hold the light and sit on the stand and hold my pump action. Is there any lights bright enough that mount on the gun to make it easier, or do I need to shoot and pray?

Why why why?[laugh2] Who thinks jacklighting deer is legal? Wtf? There is some much wrong with this line of thought[sad2]

Brilliant, that is how poachers like yourself end up killing people. [rolleyes] Shooting at sounds in the woods in the dark. [rolleyes] Fing idiot!!! You are a perfect example of a person that should be IQ tested before given a gun permit! Do you even have a FID or LTC?

Well I have been around a lot of people that you would never call smart... but they seem to know how to be safe and respectful.

Am I the only one who has been watching this thread and shaking my head in disbelief. I have to give the folks who have been giving honest answers some credit for having more patience than I have. The thread starts out as a hunting thread with the question which basically asks 'how do you jack deer?'. Then it slowly turns to a thread in which the OP is actually a land owner with a huge deer problem.
I don't even have the energy to address all the discrepancies but at least I feel better now that I've aired my concern.

tspills is one of those people that strives to make themselves a "test case" for something. Didn't you just recently get or apply for your firearms permit? I suggest you read and follow the laws carefully. Otherwise you will be the statistic that the anti's use against us.

Edit: based on post history you were looking to apply for an LTC 12/28. Unless your issuing dept at your locality has some RIDICULOUS turn around time, you can't be hunting with a shotgun legally anyways since you can't own one legally. Unless you are talking hunting with a black powder gun. (or you have an FID)

Nashmack is that you?

Last edited:
I got my FID 15 months ago I believe. The recent application was an LTC application.

I know all about storage laws, where you can carry etc.
I admit I am ignorant to hunting laws. I did spend last night reading for a few hours to learn though.

Last edited:
popcornic3ba6.gif

Btw, what is the penalty for hunting without a license, hunting at night, etc? Isn't it enough a conviction would result in being a prohibited person?

Last edited:
I got my FID 15 months ago I believe. The recent application was an LTC application.

I know all about storage laws, where you can carry etc.
I admit I am ignorant to hunting laws. I did spend last night reading for a few hours to learn though.

Even if you have an FID you were still hunting without a license. Your not ignorant, your a criminal.

O man. I was estimating. Get a life. And yes. Except I do not like blondes, and Im more of a motorcycle or BMW guy.

I too have been watching this thread, is this some sort of a sick joke to get people riled up? Or is this person seriously going online and admitting to the public that he was trying to jack deer at night. There should be absolutely no tolerance for this matter whatsoever. Not only would this make one unsuitable for a FID/LTC but also I would expect a person to receive a hefty fine and also prison time.

Not only would this make one unsuitable for a FID/LTC but also I would expect a person to receive a hefty fine and also prison time.
This is MA. While it is punishable by time in a house of correction, he'd likely not spend a day in the h of c for a first offense.

I too have been watching this thread, is this some sort of a sick joke to get people riled up? Or is this person seriously going online and admitting to the public that he was trying to jack deer at night. There should be absolutely no tolerance for this matter whatsoever. Not only would this make one unsuitable for a FID/LTC but also I would expect a person to receive a hefty fine and also prison time.

I was thinking it is a reporter fishing for a story.

I think one of the keys to getting rid of problem animals legally , with the proper permits, is that you are not allowed to use any weapons that are not legal during the regular seasons.
That means you will be restricted to a shotgun or muzzleloader, no artificial lights,silencers,rifles etc. ,even with a degradation permit.

I have posted some of the laws from the links below and summarized the penalties.
Use the links for the full official text of the laws.

MGL 131 INLAND HUNTING AND FISHING

131 11 Hunting License issuance of same

Section 11. A person shall not fish in any inland waters of the commonwealth, unless he is a minor under fifteen years of age, nor hunt or trap any bird or mammal except as otherwise provided in sections four, fourteen, fifteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-three and thirty-seven without first having obtained a sporting, hunting, fishing, or trapping license. No sporting or hunting license shall be issued unless the applicant provides to the issuing authority proof of compliance with section fourteen.

131 66 Shotgun shell size and prohibited possession of same

Section 66. A person shall not, except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, BB shot or air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals might be found, except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset; provided, however, that the director shall promulgate rules and regulations prescribing the type and size of such BB shot.

131 68 Hunting with light, artificial prohibited

Section 68. A person shall not hunt any bird or mammal except raccoon or opossum by the aid or use of any artificial light, or hunt any bird with a swivel or pivot gun. Any weapon or equipment used in such hunting by any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be confiscated and forfeited to the use of the commonwealth and disposed of by the director of law enforcement for the best interest of the commonwealth; and any motor vehicle, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, or other vehicle, boat or canoe so used may be seized and libeled in accordance with the provisions of chapter two hundred and fifty-seven.

131 72 tagging of deer

A person shall not have in his possession or under his control in any motor vehicle or transport the carcass of a deer except as provided in rules and regulations promulgated by the director. Possession of the carcass of a deer except as tagged or authorized herein shall be prima facie evidence that the same was unlawfully taken. Proceedings under any rule or regulation made under authority of this section or of section five and which pertains to the tagging or reporting of any deer killed may be begun in the district court within the judicial district of which the deer is found or the defendant lives

131 87 Arrest without warrant

Section 87. The director of law enforcement, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and deputy environmental police officers, wardens and members of the state police in areas over which they have jurisdiction and all other officers qualified to serve criminal process may arrest without a warrant any person found violating any provision of this chapter or of any ordinance, rule or regulation made under authority thereof, or other general or special law relating to fish, birds, mammals or dogs, and may seize any fish, birds or mammals unlawfully taken or held, which shall be forfeited to the commonwealth and disposed of by the said director for the best interest of the commonwealth. Wardens shall enforce the laws relating to fish, birds and mammals. Any of the foregoing persons authorized to arrest without a warrant may, in the performance of their duties, enter upon and pass over private lands, whether or not covered by water.

131 88 Display of fish and game and equipment

Section 88. The director, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and deputy environmental police officers, wardens and members of the state police in areas over which they have jurisdiction may request any person whom he reasonably believes to be engaged in hunting, fishing, or trapping, or to be unlawfully in possession of fish, birds or mammals, or to be in possession of fish, birds or mammals unlawfully taken, or in possession of unlawful equipment or ammunition, to forthwith display for inspection all fish, birds, mammals, equipment or ammunition then in his possession, and may arrest without a warrant a person refusing or failing to comply with such request.

131 89 Search warrants; seizures and forfeitures

Section 89. Fish, birds or mammals unlawfully taken or held, or any equipment, the possession or use of which is prohibited by any law relating to inland fisheries and game, may be the subject of a search warrant as provided in chapter two hundred and seventy-six. Any boat, vessel, bag, locker, package, crate, any building or other dwelling house, any motor vehicle as defined in section one of chapter ninety, or other vehicle, or anything else used to take, hold, keep, possess, transport or hold for transport fish or wildlife taken in violation of a law relating to inland fisheries and game may also be subject of a search warrant as provided in chapter two hundred and seventy-six. Persons authorized to arrest without a warrant may seize any boat, vessel, fish car, bag, box, locker, package, crate, any motor vehicle as defined in section one of chapter ninety, or other vehicle, or any other personal property used in violation of a law relating to inland fisheries and game and hold the same for forfeiture by the commonwealth. Any fish, birds, mammals, equipment, and property, as specified herein, described in such warrant, may be seized and shall be forfeited to the commonwealth; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to fish, birds, mammals, equipment, or property, as specified above, passing through the commonwealth under the authority of the laws of the United States. Such search warrants may be issued to the director of law enforcement, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and members of the state police in areas over which they have jurisdiction. Any fish, birds, mammals and equipment described in such warrant may be seized and shall be forfeited to the commonwealth; provided, that this section shall not apply to fish, birds, mammals or equipment passing through the commonwealth under authority of the laws of the United States. Fish, birds or mammals so seized shall be preserved whenever in the opinion of the said director, or his agent thereunto duly authorized, proper facilities therefor exist, until, in the opinion of said director, the necessity for further preservation thereof ceases, at which time said fish, birds or mammals or equipment may be disposed of by the said director for the best interest of the commonwealth. Whenever seizure, and confiscation or forfeiture is authorized by any provision of this chapter, unless another procedure is therein indicated, such seizure, confiscation or forfeiture shall be conducted in accordance with the provisions of chapter two hundred and fifty-seven.

131 90 Penalties

131 11 punishment of 50 to 100 dollars and or not more than 30 days jail plus 300 to 1000 for each deer taken

13 66 50 to 1000 dollars and or not more than 1 year in jail

131 68 100 to 500 and or not more than 6 months

131 72 50 to 100 dollars and or not more than 30 days in jail

Back
Top Bottom