I have made a difficult decision…

For the past two years I have utilized a Crimson Trace laser grip for my Glock 27. I have made the difficult decision to remove the laser from my carry gun.

Two years ago, when I first placed the laser on the Glock, my accuracy immediately declined. However, after a short time, my speed and accuracy greatly improved from what it had been without the laser. I believe that for some time I was faster and more accurate because of the laser. However, I now believe that the laser is holding me back. Let me share why I believe this:

After thousands and thousands of rounds I now instinctively find the target without the aid of the laser. So I am really at a point were I do not even look for the laser anymore. My concentration now is solely on finding the front sight.

Another problem with the laser is that because I am left handed the presence of the laser moves my hand lower on the handle of the pistol. I anticipate that removing the laser will move my hand higher increasing my speed and control of the handgun.

I do not regret using the laser. It has been a great tool to build my confidence, especially in shooting from retention. However, at this time I am hopeful that removing the laser will open up new opportunities as I seek to increase my skills.

The best thing that a laser does is to help you refine your trigger control and sight alignment. That's the reason I have a couple of sets on my instruction guns.

Ken

Last edited:
Update…range report…

I must admit I have felt uncomfortable over the last several days since I took my laser off. Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the range to test my shooting without it. I was amazed at how much more accurate I was without the laser. My follow up shots were faster than I ever thought possible.

I believe this has been a great move for me. I am very excited at what the future will hold as I seek to increase my skills.

Jim Conway was the one who told me to take the laser off. He told me that the laser was slowing me down (I must admit that I did not believe him). Well, in the end of the day it is evident that Jim was right and I was…well…a newbie…

Thanks Jim…

If it it the grip style laser that is holding you back,maybe you should try a lasermax guide rod style unit.This will allow you to keep the laser but also keep your natural grip.I have a 27 and large hands so I know how awkward the grip is and very small.I hope this helps.

Man... if the laser grips are causing you to grip down on a Glock 27 you can't be holding on to too much!!! That thing is tiny! I bet after a few trips you'll see drastic improvements just because you can grip the gun that much better. And the way it was intended!

I have them just on a SW 642 and plan to keep them on there. The recoil is so unpleasant that I don't want to do much practice with this gun (my hand hurts for days after I put 30 rounds through it), and the laser grips have been a quick way to become accurate right away.

As for the other guns that I'm actually willing to practice with, I'm not planning to get any lasers for them.

Back
Top Bottom