I just want to shoot my rifles

I currently have a membership to MFS and they do not allow rifles..The problem now becomes how to find a place to shoot my rifles as it seems most clubs are full or require a sponsor or require 80+ hours of volunteer time. With my current life, work and other hobbys I can not see myself even having time to go shooting 50 hours never mind volunteer more hours than that just to be able to use the facility. I can understand the need to help in a club to keep it up and running just have no idea how I could give that many hours

I missed the last run at Worcester Rifle and Pistol and besides praying that I might get in next year is there any place that allows for pay and shoot ??

Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated...My poor rifles are getting cold [laugh]

Have you looked at Harvard? Seems like you are a half hour away from there. Yes you need a sponsor, but my understanding is that they have a pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings, and you can usually go there and talk to someone about sponsoring you.

As for hours, yes they have work hours, but I believe you can buy your way out of that. If I lived closer, I would be all over HSC.

Have you looked at Harvard? Seems like you are a half hour away from there. Yes you need a sponsor, but my understanding is that they have a pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings, and you can usually go there and talk to someone about sponsoring you.

As for hours, yes they have work hours, but I believe you can buy your way out of that. If I lived closer, I would be all over HSC.

Harvard is 150/year, and 75 if you perform 4 work hours.

my coworker an MFS member said that MFS is building a rifle range. no dates to when it's gonna be available. at least my coworker doesn't know. you may ask around at MFS

my coworker an MFS member said that MFS is building a rifle range. no dates to when it's gonna be available. at least my coworker doesn't know. you may ask around at MFS

They've been saying that since they moved into the new building

The first question I ask someone when they tell me they're looking for a club is "what kind of shooting do you like to do?" If the club you're looking at doesn't have the right facilities or culture look somewhere else. Sounds like you may have outgrown MFS.

[cheers]Shirley ..
.great club, great people, no hassles, very reasonable...did I say great people

...it seems most clubs are full or require a sponsor or require 80+ hours of volunteer time. With my current life, work and other hobbies.

The club I belong to requires a sponsor, attend a meeting and go through an orientation. What wrong with that? You do have to make an investment when joining a club. Would you want to be shooting next to someone who isn't familiar with club safety rules and such?

If you can't find the time just go to a sandpit somewhere and take you chances.

I currently have a membership to MFS and they do not allow rifles..The problem now becomes how to find a place to shoot my rifles as it seems most clubs are full or require a sponsor or require 80+ hours of volunteer time. With my current life, work and other hobbys I can not see myself even having time to go shooting 50 hours never mind volunteer more hours than that just to be able to use the facility. I can understand the need to help in a club to keep it up and running just have no idea how I could give that many hours

I missed the last run at Worcester Rifle and Pistol and besides praying that I might get in next year is there any place that allows for pay and shoot ??

Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated...My poor rifles are getting cold [laugh]
8 Point in Sterling is a no frills no BS range from what I have heard. It is only like $60 a year. Not sure how long the range is. I know a few people who belong. Outdoor only. I think Fil on here is a member, you might want to PM him to ask questions.

The club I belong to requires a sponsor, attend a meeting and go through an orientation. What wrong with that? You do have to make an investment when joining a club. Would you want to be shooting next to someone who isn't familiar with club safety rules and such?

If you can't find the time just go to a sandpit somewhere and take you chances.

I knew there would be one lol I am not lazy nor do I just want to show up and shoot and run away.. My point was that I do not even have 50 hours to devote to shooting never mind volunteering that many hours... I would certainly give any free time I do have to a club,,, it just does not seem possible to put in as many as required by a lot of clubs

thanks to all for the suggestions and I will look into some of those clubs when I get home and off a cell phone

I knew there would be one lol I am not lazy nor do I just want to show up and shoot and run away.. My point was that I do not even have 50 hours to devote to shooting never mind volunteering that many hours... I would certainly give any free time I do have to a club,,, it just does not seem possible to put in as many as required by a lot of clubs

thanks to all for the suggestions and I will look into some of those clubs when I get home and off a cell phone

Harvard doesn't "require" you to do any type of work, or volunteer for anything. If they have a project they will ask for volunteers, and those that show up, get "paid" (I think) $15 an hour, which is taken off of your dues, up to $75. There are hundreds of members who pay the full dues and never volunteer. There is absolutely zero pressure to participate. Totally up to you.

I knew there would be one lol I am not lazy nor do I just want to show up and shoot and run away.. My point was that I do not even have 50 hours to devote to shooting never mind volunteering that many hours.

I never said you are lazy and my club doesn't require volunteering - that's up to you. I guess what I am trying to say is most all clubs have a process for membership that I would hope centers on safety and making you familiar with the club facilities and how to use them.

Just wanted to take a second to say Thank You to a NES member here who was nice enough to take me to an outdoor range for me to check out [grin] Thanks a million Dave

Hopkinton on Lumber St. $180/yr if you don't do any work hours. Plenty of rifle bays etc. If it hasn't changed, you pretty much just show up for a board meeting in the club house and tell them you want to be a member. They vote "yes". And you give them money. Then you do have to be certified on the ranges you want to use just to make sure you aren't a bozo. Then you have access.

Back
Top Bottom