• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I may have been burned in online firearms transaction

About a month ago, I responded to a classified ad for a Ruger 10/22 over at www.rimfirecentral.com. The guy only had 4 posts but his pictures showed all the stuff and he seemed legit from what I could tell. I sent the seller in Alabama a $250 US Postal Service money order along with a cover letter into which I had pasted a description of goods from his classified ad. I kept a copy of everything, including the MO receipt. I gave him the address for an FFL (Collector's Gallery) to ship the rifle to and sat back to wait for my cool new Ruger rifle, Volquartsen parts, and associated hardware.

Nothing yet. No product has shown up at Collector's. No response to emails since I sent the payment. His profile at rimfirecentral shows his last activity was November 5, about when I sent him the MO. Now after almost four weeks, I'm really not feeling good about this transaction. So today I took my receipt to the post office, filled out a Money Order Inquiry form, paid a $5.20 fee, and I should hear back soon from the USPS whether or not the MO was cashed. If it wasn't, I think I'm eligible to get a full refund 60 days after the date of the MO. If it was, I guess I get to see what, if anything, the postal inspector can do for me.

I'm an optimistic, trusting guy, and maybe some sort of extenuating circumstance has befallen him, but I'm getting pissed off here. I think 3+ weeks is plenty of time to ship the firearm, or at least to respond to an email.

I guess I need to wait to see if he cashed the MO, or wait to see if the package shows up. Any suggestions on anything else I can do?

Did you send a copy of the FFL to the seller? I always have to send that, sometimes I've faxed it. In any circumstance, he should have gotten back to you. That sucks.

I've bought hundreds of items on eBay over the years and have never had an issue until recently.

I bought a black leather jacket online and paid via PayPal. The total cost was about $125. After two weeks and no product I emailed the guy. He claimed a death in the family had caused him to fall behind. I waited another two weeks and emailed him again. I got no answer so I reported the problem to eBay and PayPal.

The good news is that PayPal issued me a credit within a week.

But based upon your recent experience I wonder if this type of problem is on the rise with a bad economy? The guy I bought from had a 100% rating on about 35 transactions so I felt safe.

Maybe this is just another side affect of layoffs and people sucking wind?

Rich

Now if it was done via a Postal Money order...if they track the person down is that mail fraud?

I had a problem with a 600 money order that was lost in the mail (never cashed) so the wait for a refund was almost 6mos and I have to get a lot of people involved from a few calls from the senators and congress offices. Post office kept saying should be within a week or so and finally I guess they got tired and told my wife to come in and they would cut a check which they did, makes you wonder why they did not just put a stop on it (even if I had to pay for that) and cut a check the next day.

I for one will never d a PO MO ever again for anything over 100.00
Good luck with getting your rifle or a refund, hope it works out.
Bruce

But based upon your recent experience I wonder if this type of problem is on the rise with a bad economy? The guy I bought from had a 100% rating on about 35 transactions so I felt safe.

Maybe this is just another side affect of layoffs and people sucking wind?

Rich

Now I only purchase from ebay stores and avoid people selling items.

I wouldn't consider it a side affect of layoffs or the economy. If someone screws you over and basically steals from you, the economy didn't make them do it, they were a loser to begin with.

I would also not be so optimistic about this. If possible, i would try to pay by a method that you can protect yourself with. Paypal and credit cards are the only method i use for online transactions. cash if i meet someone in person.

Google his user name, real name, email address, etc (if you have that info).

Sometimes these a**h***s leave a trail/history without even realizing it.

Now if it was done via a Postal Money order...if they track the person down is that mail fraud?
It absolutely is, and from what I hear, the Postal Inspectors take this sort of thing VERY seriously. Also, if he mailed the check, that puts it under the USPO's authority.

As LoginName suggests, google can be your friend. You can also check with the moderators of RimfireCentral, too - they might be able to help. They moderate very actively, so posting a slam at this guy might or might not get deleted. I'd think that a simple posting of the facts would get the mods to help out, though - it's to their benefit to keep their classified ads clean.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Google his user name, real name, email address, etc (if you have that info).

Sometimes these a**h***s leave a trail/history without even realizing it.

+1 I do this BEFORE dealing with anyone. I ask for a home phone number, google it for the address, call the number and see if it all matches. I even check online real estate assessments for ownership, etc--real stalker like [smile]. At least then you know where the person lives. If it's a business or apt. building then it's a crap shoot. People sometimes use 'drop' locations and have things mailed to a known address then they go pick it up before the real residents.

Do you know if Collector's actually mailed or faxed the signed FFL? Jack.

Not sure. I provided him the name, address and telephone number of Collectors.

I have the guy's address, as well as an email domain from a county in Alabama (where I suspect he's a county employee), and I fully intend to make his life miserable, either with the Postal Inspector or without, if I determine he's trying to stiff me.

Do a reverse address search on the whitepages.com. I know someone who is going down to Bama soon. Hell I'd even post his info up on here and that site. Put this douche's name and address everywhere if you know he screwed you over. Maybe someone can look him up if they visit his area.

with very few exceptions, I use USPS MOs and the US mail to send funds and correspondence, as mentioned by a few already, mail fraud is not something taken lightly by the USPS.

with very few exceptions, I use USPS MOs and the US mail to send funds and correspondence, as mentioned by a few already, mail fraud is not something taken lightly by the USPS.
I bought a used Dillon XL650 a few years ago from a seller on GT using a USPS MO and the post office did nothing to help me when I got reamed. The guy did sent me the Dillon but it was missing parts and in different shape than what he had told me. Because I was on Glock Talk Reloading so much the regulars stood by me and found out he wasn't such a nice guy on a few other forums. We did get the word out about him but he probably changed his username and burned other people. Ever since it happened EVERYTHING except a few guns here at NES I've bought has been new. I learned the hard way.[wink]

Thats not the end of the road. The crime is called mail fraud. I think the Postal Service takes it very seriously. You need to file a report with the Postmaster General to investigate the federal (interstate) mail fraud. A person cashed it and it was mailed to somebody's address, so they have a starting point for their investigation.

so the wait for a refund was almost 6mos]

If you lose a "bank check" (or "bank money order"), there uis a 6 month wait before they will issue a refund.

I paid for a catered meal at a big match with a bank check, after being told in no uncertain terms that the food would not even be removed from the truck if I attempted to pay with a personal or club check rather than certified funds. The cook did a great job with the meal, and threw the bank check out. The caterer was most unhappy when I told him he would have to wait 6 months before we got the $$ from the bank which we would forward him, "waiving our right to apply a service charge for our effort." When he told me that "was not good enough", I sent a certified letter outlining our intent to pay when we got the money - and took a certain pleasure with the line "If we had been permitted to pay by club check, rather than be treated as a bad check risk, this envelope would contain a replacement check rather than an explanation of a 6 month delay." He called us 6 month later to the day, and has his $$ a couple of days after that.

Not sure. I provided him the name, address and telephone number of Collectors.

I have the guy's address, as well as an email domain from a county in Alabama (where I suspect he's a county employee), and I fully intend to make his life miserable, either with the Postal Inspector or without, if I determine he's trying to stiff me.

I had a incident about 15 years ago, the product was misrepresented, the item cost $800.00.

Spoke with the seller, didn't get anywhere, one conversation with the Postal Inspector, and the seller changed his mind and returned my $800.

I do not think the average Joe wants to mess around with mail fraud.

I don't know how that site works, but I am very familiar with ebay. You have the option of doing an advanced search with ebay's permission for the sellers, or buyers contact info, including phone number. Perhaps contacting the site and explaining the situation to them would yield some positive results?

Good luck,
Tim

Back
Top Bottom