• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need help choosing my first pistol.

If you're comfortable with shooting handguns, I'd still stay away from the Warthog. After 20-years of carrying autos, I have been bitten by the S&W 642CT bug... Go to Smith and Wesson and get out your Visa for the rental range...Go M&P, 642, etc, etc,....

Furthermore, I am not a novice at shooting pistols.

I should have written in more detail. What I actually wanted to get help with was what gun is more comfortable to have on a belt OTW. (#1 Choice is pocket carry though.) Because I've been shooting all my life doesn't mean I know what it's like to lug around a handgun all day. I just need help on whats more pleasent to ride next to.
Well, that certainly does change things.

For pocket carry, I find the Glock 26 too fat. The SP101 is a good choice, but quite heavy. You might consider the S&W 642. I do not recommend the various S&W scandium/titanium/boyThisThingReallyRecoilsium models -- those just convert dollars into recoil.

I like my Kahr PM9 for pocket carry, but it is difficult to find. The Kahr MK9 is a little easier to find, but is also quite heavy like the SP101.

For belt carry, a Glock 19/23 or S&W M&P Compact would be worth looking at. Also a Sig P239 or 229.

The trick is that you need to try one before you buy one!

I tried the G27 (.40, same frame size as the G26) and found the recoil downright unpleasant. My friend who owns it loves it!

I tried another friend's G23 (.40, same frame size as the G19) and found it quite pleasant to shoot. It's now on my "short list" to buy.

For small revolvers, a well respected MA Dealer once told me that most of the snubbie Scandium/Titanium revolvers have such unpleasant recoil that people buy them, shoot them once or twice and then either sell them or pack them away in the safe. As small/light as I'd recommend is the S&W 642. With factory grips and shooting standard .38Sp in it, it's not bad to shoot. Changing grips can make a difference positive or negative. It will also hide well in the pocket of some pants (with largish pockets).

For belt carry, the G26/27 or G19/23 can be worn comfortably by most. Although concealment demands careful clothing, I find the 1911 to be the most comfortable gun I own to carry!

Different body shapes make a big difference wrt to CCW, so again you need to try it (with good leather/Kydex and a good gun belt) to see what works for you.

For range shooting, some guns fit some people better than others. What works for one of us may well not work for someone else. That's why trying other people's guns at the range is a cool way to find what works for you.

I carry a glock 23 and love it, I am thinking of getting a G27 now b/c the 23 can be a bit too big with some clothing. Both are great guns IMO. But I also want to get a snubbie as well, maybe a S&W 637 or 64, ruger sp101 all of these a good guns and to me ride good on the hip, but as far as pocket carry you need a snub .38.

And then after you get the gun you have to find the right rig, which can be just as hard!

Right now I am trying to decide if my next gun (which I will get this summer) will be my first 1911, a G27 or a snubbie .38 for super CCW!

Another thing to consider is what you carry it in. The rig you put the CCW in can make all the difference as to comfort/concealment.

I still have not taken it, but the GOAL concealed carry class gets rave reviews and I think you get a chance to try different rigs.

Matt

I think in CT you also have the options of Taurus and Charter2000. They both make good revolvers, and Taurus also makes some good autofeeding pistols.

Back
Top Bottom