• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need help choosing my first pistol.

Hello

I have a problem.

I have a hard time making important choices.

eg. I went back and forth on 30 different cars to by before I chose the wrong one. And now I have to sell it.(even though I love that damn car.)

So, my delema is what pistol to get. I don't want to make a mistake

Some that I'm looking at are Ruger SP101 2.25'' 5-shot .357 Mag.
also maybe Para-Ord Stainless Warthog 3'' 10+1 .45 ACP. Don't know. Leaning towards revolver. [thinking]

-Chris

You will gets lots of comments, many people advising you to get a .22,
not a bad idea and a fun gun to have), and some people reminding you
to do a search since this is a common question.

I'll just say, handle as many quality pistols as you can get your hands on
and see what feels right. I would recommend starting with a 9mm or a
.38 (or 357 shooting 38s) if you choose to jump straight to centerfire.

The Para Warthog is not a beginner's gun.

In fact, both pistols you refer to are carry guns. I'd start with something more general
purpose. Perhaps a 6" revolver or full-size automatic. Get it, take a class,
shoot a lot. By then you will be plenty experienced to choose a carry gun.

Also, look in the equipment exchange. There are often some killer deals there.
Like a Sig 9mm in CT for $400 ...

Good luck,
Firtree

+1 on firtree's comments, also most of the answers you get will be personal preference not "Fact" based. some folks favor revolvers, some autos find what you like and go with it. The wrong gun in you waistband is always better than the right gun in your safe.

Chris - what do you want the gun for? Is it for personal protection? Is it for target shooting? From the two you mentioned, it sounds more like protection. The gun should fit comfortably in your hand and your finger should hit the trigger in the proper place. The folks at the gun shop should be able to show you what's a good fit if their worth their salt.

If you want it for protection, then you want something that will have stopping power, i.e. - a minimum of a .38 in a revolver, or a 9mm in a semi. If you've decided on the 2 you mentioned, then the .357 would be cheaper to practice with because you could use .38's in it.

As long as you're happy shooting the gun and will practice with it, no gun is a bad gun.

I agree to stay away form the Warthog for now, But the SP101 is an great gun! If you can buy more then one gun then yes you should get a fullsize as well and practice a lot but if not then IMO the SP101 in .357/.38 is a great choice. But think about getting the 3" barrel that might help out a little with recoil and accuracy. Plus .357 has many different ammo options for personal defense, wilderness defense and target or .38 spl. for easy cheap practice.

Most important is to make sure it is comfortable in your hand and on your hip (or however you intend to carry it).

I'm planning on getting a ruger single-six .22 for my first pistol, but I'm planning to use it for target shooting. Right now I'm not getting it for self defense but I may look for something for that in the future. Like Lynne said it all depends on what you want to use it for.

-Tom

Profane (very cool screen name, by the way) for revolvers, you have lots of great manufacturers to choose from. That Ruger SP101 is a great gun, but a similar wheelgun from Smith & Wesson, for example, would be too.

Also, for whatever it's worth, most gunsmiths feel they can do a better action job on a S&W than they can on a Ruger.

Paras, at least right now on NES, do not enjoy a good reputation for service after the sale.

Once you have your wheelgun, whichever you choose, let the customizing begin!

I would not recommend either as a first gun. Neither is particularly easy to shoot, due to the short sight radius. Para has had quality control issues.

I suggest that you get a full size gun as your first gun.

Smith & Wesson 686 or Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel would be my recommendation. A Ruger Security Six (the GP 100's predecessor) would work as well.

Lets start at the very beginning.... A very good place to start. When you learn to read it's "A , B, C" When you learn to shot its "Don't do like me".

Don't Do Like Me....

(my apologies to R&H and Julie Andrews)

Seriously, DO NOT just go buy what looks cool. Take your time to figure out what you WANT to do with the gun and then research the right tool for that use.

Remember, your first gun will not be your last gun. Just like your first car isn't your last car.

Would be terrible to get a DA revolver and then decide that you get a kick out of Cowboy shooting. (C-fer, come show this man how it used to be done)

Hate to see you get a handful like the Warthog and decide you like IDPA, but can't control the gun well enough to really become a good shot. (Cross-X, maybe another member of Metrowest Tactical)

The point is that you need to go to some of the matches and see what is going on. I'll guarantee someone will let you borrow equipment. But unless you have some idea of what you want to do, it is VERY hard to recommend hardware.

And if games are not your thing and you want the gun for personal protection, then I strongly suggest you get a nice double action auto or revolver in a full size frame that costs less than $500 and go take some training so that you get to know what to really look for in a defense gun for yourself. I have a safe full of pistols that I got because they were small, or powerful, or 'recommended' and now they sit in the safe most of the time.

Heck, borrow a rig for a weekend and take Rob's course over at Hopkington and learn about IPSC. (assuming you have the basics of marksmanship down)

Don't have the basics? Take Riverside's Basic Pistol course and not only get an extended coaching session in marksmanship basics, but also get to handle and shoot just about everything out there you might want to try.

Or, you can do what I did when I got started in pistols and drop a bundle on a custom .45 1911 that you discover has features you don't like and doesn't really carry well. I'll never sell the gun as I love the way it shoots, but its not a good carry choice for me at all.

Hope that helps.

I've been carrying for a long time and can absolutely agree - stay away from the WartHog for now. It looks cool - it is cool, but it's really too much gun in too small a package for your first carry. I carry a ParaOrdinance LDA 6.45 It's single stack 3-inch 45ACP and even for me, it's A LOT of gun. I like the .357 Mag idea, but as suggested, I'd go for a slightly longer barrel length to start. Even a .357 is a lot of gun to begin with but their are rounds available that will ease you in to the larger magnum cartridges. Start off slow - get training. If you're leaning auto, look into a M&P in 9mm or .40 S&W.....Hope this helps. Good luck!

I would suggest a 4 inch model 66 to start with it's a gun that you will never sell.

+1

66-1.jpg

66_rubber.jpg

I would suggest a 4 inch model 66 to start with it's a gun that you will never sell.

+2

However if you get a 2.5 or 3 inch, it is a little more easily carried.

This or the 65 (fixed sights vs adjustable on the 66) will allow you to shoot any variety of .38 special rounds OR .357.

The 66 was my first gun and I'll always have it.

Sorry for the lousy pic. I placed the gun on my scanner way back when and this is what came out. Too lazy to take another.

66.jpg

S&W no longer makes the 66 so if you want new you will have to get the model 620 which is the replacement for the 66, I have one and love it! Of course there is nothing wrong with buying used either and you might find a great deal.

Not everyone (or, perhaps, even many) will agree, but if you are purchasing your first handgun, this probably means that your effort to learn good handgun marksmanship is in the future. That being the case, there are only two candidates, depending on your predilection for pistols or revolvers: a S&W .22 M17 (or the current production equivalent, which I think is 617) or a S&W .22 M41.

Learning to shoot a handgun with some proficiency is a long process; it consists of a few tricks, a lot of mind over muscle, and a lot more practice. Both of the recommended candidates are inherently accurate and easy to shoot. Anything else will either stretch out the process or teach you some bad habits that will be very hard to break later on.

I should have included the Model 66/65 in my original recommendation.

I should know, I love my Model 65. Accurate as hell.

Still, any DA revolver in 38 Special or 357 Magnum (you can shoot 38 Special in a 357) with a 4" to 6" barrel from Smith & Wesson or Ruger is an excellent first handgun.

If you do not know anything about shooting, I would concur with any variation of the Smith & Wesson Model 17 (blued) or 617 (stainless) that you can afford. The best way to learn to shoot a handgun is with a 22 rimfire.

I was in your shoes not long ago, shopping for my first gun. I wanted one gun that could do it all. I wanted a gun I could take to the range and learn to shoot. It needed to shoot cheap, low to medium-power ammo that wouldn’t rip my arm off after 20 shots. But I also wanted a gun that was drop dead reliable and had the stopping power to use for self defense. I wanted a gun that was simple to maintain and didn’t require a degree in gunsmithing to disassemble and clean. And I wanted the gun to be “cool,” which meant brand name, image, and a big bang.

In the end I decided to purchase a used Smith & Wesson model 686, .357 magnum double action revolver. I could not have been happier with my decision.

The S&W .357 was the perfect all around first gun for me. It has a smooth trigger and a great set of adjustable sights, which makes it very easy to shoot. I can shoot single action at the range (pull back the hammer manually before each shot), or double action (pulling the trigger pulls back the hammer automatically) if I’m ever in a jam. I shoot reloaded .38sp at the range, which is a fairly cheap, medium power ammo. At home it sits in my nightstand loaded with .357 hollow points that will stop anything that comes walking through my door. It’s unbelievably reliable (I’ve never had a single problem with the gun, no matter what I’m shooting) and it’s a snap to clean. And it’s a Smith & Wesson wheel gun, which is definitely cool.

There are several S&W .357s out there, the above applies to just about all of them. Mine is the model 686 with the 4” barrel, which I got it used but in great shape for about $250 (Gunbroker.com). The only downside of this model is it’s a little big and heavy, so if you plan to carry you may want to look for something smaller.

As was mentioned several times on this thread, keep in mind this will not be your last gun. I bought a Ruger Mark III (.22 auto loading pistol) shortly after I got the S&W, which is a GREAT training gun. But if I had to choose one gun for the rest of my life, it would be hard not to choose the S&W .357.

However, whatever you get, there’s one thing you MUST do – as soon as you get it, take pictures and post them under the “New Acquisitions” thread.

Heh heh, we were all in your shoes at one time or another. My wife is going thru it now (another post).

If you search back under my screen name I went thru the same about 1 -2 years ago. I knew I wanted a compact glock for carry, a bright and shiney 357 for the asthetics and a 22 to shoot for fun. 1 year to the day when I first posted my 'want ad' on this forum I was proud to say that I finally aquired all 3 pistols.

I did get a few others that I tried out and traded away but the ones that I had in mind the very first day I got my LTC I still have.

Glock 23
S&W Model 10
S&W Model 19
Colt Det. Spl. Agent
Ruger MkIII 22/45

DSCF0108-1.jpg

Oh definitely get the 357 over the para. But to second the others, try to get a larger frame like a 13/19/65/66 in a 3" barrel. You can still carry it without too much of a burden and it has the full length extractor.
My 2.5 and 3" carries the same but when using at the range, the 3" is much better in dumping empties. The 2.5, you have to whack the rod, have two or three spent casings fall out, spin the cylinder, whack the ejector rod again to move empties out of the charge holes and pluck them out if they are stuck.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting a ruger single-six .22 for my first pistol, but I'm planning to use it for target shooting. Right now I'm not getting it for self defense but I may look for something for that in the future. Like Lynne said it all depends on what you want to use it for.

-Tom

Tom, you may want to consider the Ruger MkII or III for target. It is a little more versatile I think. Unless you just like having a wheely.

Profane: Go to a rental range (Smith and Wesson in Springfield MA may be near you) and shoot a bunch of stuff.

A .45ACP pistol is really too much for a first gun IMO (especially in the Warthog package). You'll develop bad habits that are hard to break.

The revolver recommendations are great. Do consider getting 2 guns if you can, and make 1 a .22. They are super cheap to feed and help you with the basics of shooting.

Good luck,

A .45ACP pistol is really too much for a first gun IMO (especially in the Warthog package). You'll develop bad habits that are hard to break.
+1!

Heck, Matt - a Para P10 (the precursor to the Warthog and essentially identical) was too much gun for ME and I've been shooting for 25 years.

I was using my P10 for IDPA and I discovered that I was developing a nasty flinch due to the muzzle blast - full power .45 is a lot for a 3" barrel. I traded it away and picked up a P12 (3.5" barrel). That extra half inch of barrel makes all the difference in the world for me.

Chris - what do you want the gun for? Is it for personal protection? Is it for target shooting?

+1 on Lynne's questions, and I'd add:
Are you planning to carry it for protection or keep it in the house?

Why you want it and what you plan to do with it will go a long way to putting you in a "category" or type of gun to select. Full size, compact, revolver or auto, caliber, etc. There's a big difference between choosing something to carry every day vs a fun gun to shoot a ton and maybe enter some friendly matches with. I wouldn't think of carrying my S&W 625 around all day, but it sure is fun to shoot. I'd also never enter any competitions with my little Seecamp 32 cal auto.
Also, when choosing a caliber, think of ammo costs. A 45 is nice to have, but at $25 per 100 rounds will you be able to shoot it as much as you might want? You still have a lot more questions to ask yourself to make sure you make the right decision. You might want to find some friends that have a gun or two you could try first. Or go to a range that rents guns to check out a few.
Good luck, and happy hunting.
-Cuz.

Hello thanks for all the suggestions.

A few people asked what use will the gun serve I want it for none other than concealed carry.

I got 2 shotguns, 2 rifles and Killer for home protection!

Furthermore, I am not a novice at shooting pistols.

I should have written in more detail. What I actually wanted to get help with was what gun is more comfortable to have on a belt OTW. (#1 Choice is pocket carry though.) Because I've been shooting all my life doesn't mean I know what it's like to lug around a handgun all day. I just need help on whats more pleasent to ride next to.

Also, I'm 98% sure of the Ruger but some suggestions may sway my vote.

-Chris

OH. That's very different!

For pocket carry I'd go with the wheelgun; I have a J frame S&W that likes my front pocket. I just do NOT like putting a single action pistol in my pocket; too nervous about snicking that safety off.

And you may want to read Goose's thread about the problems he's been having with Para recently. (this does not reflect everyone's experience, but it is disquieting...)

I am not a novice at shooting pistols.

I should have written in more detail. What I actually wanted to get help with was what gun is more comfortable to have on a belt OTW. (#1 Choice is pocket carry though.) Because I've been shooting all my life doesn't mean I know what it's like to lug around a handgun all day. I just need help on whats more pleasent to ride next to.

If this is the question, then I'm still down to two candidates (albeit different ones): a 2-1/2 or 3" stainless S&W .357 (probably loaded with +P .38 Spl.), preferably round butt with Pachmayr grips or a Sig 239.

Alright, here I go changing my mind again. I'm entertaining the thought of a Glock in 9x19mm.

Either compact or sub-compact

Or hell, maybe .40 S&W

I don't know.

Plenty more suggestions wanted and needed.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom