I quit

Good decision to quit if you don't enjoy it. No sense in spending money on being miserable.

But,.....it also says a lot about your level of perseverance.

I dunno about that. I've tried stuff I hated a few minutes after I tried it: tennis, basketball, and other stuff. Sometimes you know immediately. Sometimes it takes a little while.

I don't hunt, because I'm not interested if I can pick it up at Stop&Shop. If the SHTF I'll start hunting.

You are not a hunter. You are not smart enough. You are not mature enough. And that is saying a lot because I have seen some pretty dumb and immature individuals who were good hunters.

Change your screen name to Vegitarian. It is an indian term for shitty hunter.

I agree completely

QUOTE=Buggin;4044122]I'm a very unsuccessful hunter.
While I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to, I don't do it just for the kill/meat.
It's the stuff you don't see everyday. Fresh air, exercise.
Watching the critters. Light hitting patches of ice just right.
If I go out and come back with nothing but memories. I'm good. View attachment 109766[/QUOTE]

If it was me, I would of looked harder or just been happy that it didn't go to waist. What should the guy of done? Posted an ad in the newspaper looking for the hunter that couldn't find his deer.

No, he KNEW I was there. My mistake was waiting ten minutes before chasing after it, waiting for it to bleed out. Wounded Deer always head to water when it is wounded, instinct I guess, so I knew when it would be. This hosier heard my shot, then my yelling for my buddie, he saw an opportunity and ran with it. Not the kind of sportsman I would want to be.

I just love the way people on here know everything, about everything. Guess that's why I come here..............

No, he KNEW I was there. My mistake was waiting ten minutes before chasing after it, waiting for it to bleed out. Wounded Deer always head to water when it is wounded, instinct I guess, so I knew when it would be. This hosier heard my shot, then my yelling for my buddie, he saw an opportunity and ran with it. Not the kind of sportsman I would want to be.

Got it.

Yeah, you made the right decision, take a year or two off and re-think your desire to continue hunting.

If you want to continue, get advice from experienced hunters, and then FOLLOW that advice. I cant tell you how many guys waste experienced guys' time asking questions and then they never follow through.

A buddy of mine tries and tries to deer hunt, but has had very little luck hunting. He gets infuriated that he sees no deer, but when you give him advice, he NEVER actually follows it, he just continues to do his failing tactics over and over.

Often, He blames others for his failure to find deer; last season he even ranted to me about a mutual friend of ours who gave him a great spot to hunt. he actually accused the friend of purposely giving him a terrible spot just to screw him over. The spot was infested with deer before my buddy went smashing through the woods with his 2 man stand, then he proceeded to put up the behemoth-stand in a terrible spot. To top it off, every time he hunts, he tells me how he "scouts" the entire area on foot - scenting the place up and driving all the deer away. He's generally a good guy, but man does he suck at hunting.

Good luck

I just love the way people on here know everything, about everything. Guess that's why I come here..............

I've harvested scores of deer, and if i shot a deer and couldnt find it, and some other unknown hunter found it and harvested it, i wouldn't be terribly upset, at least someone got the meat. I would certainly think the other guy was a wise-a$$ because he obviously left the hide to mock your inability to find it.

PS I dont agree that wounded deer go to water. Most shot deer will try to create distance as fast as possible (like running down hill if possible as its easiest) and when they get exhausted, they often head into thick brush to hide while they rest / bleed out. If you double-lung shot the deer, it most likely would have died within 50 yards during its initial 'flight' stage. If you know you lung shot it and you track it and the bleeding stops, look in the immediate brush as the deer is likely dead within 25 yards of you. If you gut shot it, the guts will probably block up the wound and it will bleed internally - this is where better tracking skills come into play.

not trying to mock your experience, just throwing info out there, good luck

Quiters never win, and winners never quit!

That's why it's called hunting, and not killing.

Stick with it. You will have success at some point. Follow the 80/20 rule. For every amount of time you spend in the woods during the season, spend at least 80% more time during the off season learning where the animals eat and hang out.

GL whatever you choose to do.

StevensMarksman

Personally I wouldn't agree with this nor would I myself educate a new hunter with these two points. If a good shot is made one of the worst things you can do it take pursuit right away, IMO at least. Let it lay down and bleed out not spook it and have it run as far as it can into the thickest shit it can find before dropping dead, because it will. Many believe this also hurts the meat quality. I am on the fence on this having not experienced it in any deer I have eaten. I have had wounded deer head away from water close to as often as head towards it. It's a good rule of thumb if you looking for one but it is certainly not a hard and fast rule, again IMO. I am no expert with hundreds of kills but I have been doing it for 25 years with a bow and rifle and have killed a few dozen. YMMV.

Just out of curiosity, did you see him do all this or is it what you and your buddy surmised from what you knew at the time? Did you ever see this guy? I am not saying it didn't happen that way, shitheads in the woods do stupid stuff like this.

So I'm quitting hunting, this is going to be a rant from somebody with 7 posts so move along if your not interested. The short version is I'm fed up and I do to enjoy it.

The long version: I have been trying to hunt for about 6 years every Saturday and after work during shotgun and blackpowder for 3 years and some turkey and bird hunting thrown in. I have never gotten anything I have seen 2 deer, one I didn't have a tag for and one was running 150 yards away. I have asked other experienced hunters to take me with them and they all agree. Until the season rolls around and then they must be washing their hair the whole month of December because they are no where to be found.

There was an incident last season where someone may or may not have shot at me. It's just not fun anymore. My wife wants me to to quit, when I asked her why she said you aren't the same person 3 months of the year. Your always angry. Aren't hobbies supposed to be relaxing. I didn't have an answer for her. I talked to my brothers who are the only people who I can con into go with me and one brother said he wouldn't care either way if we never went again. The other brother told me the last time we went he didn't even load his gun because "you can't shoot anything if you don't see anything."

the hunters that I do talk to give me pointers but most of the info they give me just confuses me even more. When you dig a little deeper they don't hunt in mass anyway. They take guided trips to PA. One guy took 4 deer last year in mass and didn't tag any of them his methods are questionable at best.

The last day I went hunting it was Christmas morning and I was so fed up I unloaded into a tree.

So o im done, I don't even want to shoot anymore at this point. Has anyone ever felt like this or am I just crazy?

I think you are putting way too much stress on the actual outcome! Hunting for me is about the entire experience........If I spend an entire day in the woods......by myself.....or with my son......and don't even see a deer......I'm happy. I'm being honest......I'm happy just with the time spent in the peace and quiet.........in the outdoors. If you can look back at all the time you spent in the woods hunting and be upset about it.....stressed about it......because you didn't bag a deer.......then you should give up hunting because you don't have the right attitude for it. Sorry to be so blunt......but that is how I see it. If you do go back and hunt again......when you are out there.......when the sun is just coming up........fog is lifting..........hearing the woods "wake up" in the morning........try enjoying that.......if you can't enjoy it then you just don't get it and I actually recommend you quit........I hope you don't though and you find a way to enjoy what I just described/

Last edited:
I think you are putting way too much stress on the actual outcome! Hunting for me is about the entire experience........If I spend an entire day in the woods......by myself.....or with my son......and don't even see a deer......I'm happy. I'm being honest......I'm happy just with the time spent in the peace and quiet.........in the outdoors. If you can look back at all the time you spent in the woods hunting and be upset about it.....stressed about it......because you didn't bag a deer.......then you should give up hunting because you don't have the right attitude for it. Sorry to be so blunt......but that is how I see it. If you do go back and hunt again......when you are out there.......when the sun is just coming up........fog is lifting..........hearing the woods "wake up" in the morning........try enjoying that.......if you can't enjoy it then you just don't get it.

^This bears repeating^

^This bears repeating^

I've actually been out there with my son and hoped I didn't see a buck.........because I was not in the mood to dress one that day! A lot of the enjoyment is even in the prep.......teaching my son how to pack his clothes in trash bags with leaves and pine needles a week or so before the season.......getting the guns sighted in at the range before......getting up early.........getting everything loaded up.........its all part of the experience and time spent with my boy.

I hunted for 3 seasons before I bagged a deer. I only hunted for deer but I did enjoy the alone and quit time it provided.

You have no patience and shouldn't hunt. If you think you are going to get something every time you go out, you are setting yourself up for a very unpleasant time.

- - - Updated - - -

I've actually been out there with my son and hoped I didn't see a buck.........because I was not in the mood to dress one that day! A lot of the enjoyment is even in the prep.......teaching my son how to pack his clothes in trash bags with leaves and pine needles a week or so before the season.......getting the guns sighted in at the range before......getting up early.........getting everything loaded up.........its all part of the experience and time spent with my boy.
+1

Just like the guy who throws his golf club doesnt belong on the course. You dont belong in the woods. Glad u quit.

I pretty much quit MA a while back as well. They manage the deer herd poorly in this state.

Now i hunt in other states....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take up crochet or basket weaving. They are safer for those around you. Keep away from knitting, long needles and such.

I am not a hunter but my brother in law is. He made me go with him and his brothers a few times. We saw some dear off in the distance, nothing close enough to shoot at. But you get up and it's cold. You grab a cup of coffee and take a walk outside and that chilly morning air hits you in the face and suddenly you are more awake than coffee can ever make you. You suit up and grab your shotgun...as you are walking the trail to your hunting spot you make a plan, a strategy if you will and then you separate. After you walk a bit from the others all you can hear is the attempted muffled crunch of your footsteps and that of each breath you take and can see on each exhale. Then you hold your breath a bit to see if you can faintly hear anything that might be near you. Eyes wide and checking for brown or orange.

But it was just me alone in the middle of the woods with my gun. You could almost imagine how it was way back when and it just felt like that is the way it should be.

At the end of the day after seeing nothing and deciding on how big of a story to make up for the evening you head back without ever firing or hearing a shot. Light a fire throw a couple of steaks on the grill and toss back a few cold ones and see who has the biggest lie of the day. Nothing like a beer and a steak and a bunch of BS stories and the smell of a fire in the middle of the woods and just hanging out being men (well, kind of - stupid antics and grab a$$ that goes along with a couple of mushrooms acting like unsupervised children on an overnight summer camp trip)

Of all the times I went I only ever saw one dear. Heading out for a long weekend with the guys and doing 'men' things. No kids, no women and no vegetables. Beer and meat and guns and coffee.

If any of us ever got a dear that would have been the icing on the cake. But that was hunting for me and I'd go again in a heartbeat.

I don't even want to shoot anymore.

If you ever hunt again, I suggest you go to a game preserve. Pay the extra cash to hunt pheasant. It's expensive and like hunting in a zoo, but you may find it more gratifying. Farm pheasants are slow and easy to shoot. When you miss a bird remember that's part of the sport, too. Don't blame the dog, the guide, or your gun.

If you ever do shoot again, which I'm not advocating, please remember that gun safety shall never be compromised. If you need to throw something, put down the gun, and throw some big rocks straight up.

I hunted deer for years. I never saw a single deer. It was great.

Now, I hunt pheasant. I hunt to walk the fields with the dogs, get together with friends, and hang out for food and drink after. If I see a pheasant, I try to shoot it.

I don't hunt around here. Black powder and shotguns??? F THAT!...

The boss throws a hunting trip every year in Wisconsin and my 300 win mag gets one or two every year.

Last year my water bottles froze after one hour in the tree stand, but I was in my thermal suit with those chemical things in my boots and gloves.

I shot a deer right in the boiler room running at 200 yards.

This is where all the time at the range pays off.

Back
Top Bottom