I quit

OP, you really need to reassess how and why you hunt. I have not hunted deer in years, but was very fortunate to have been taught how by two true hunters.

My Dad started teaching me about deer long before I was old enough to pull the trigger. He used to take me and my brother into the woods and showed us how to look for deer sign. Scrapes and yards, shed antlers and droppings, tracks near water, what they like to eat and even occasionally worn trails where they travelled. He was really good at it and used to say that for every hour you spend hunting, you need to spend 12 hours scouting in the off season. He knew the woods he hunted as well as the deer.

My Dad died before we ever hunted together, but my brother in law was an avid sportsman and took me hunting the very next year. I shot a deer on my first hunt with him but never would have if he was not with me. He made me wait to take that shot until the buck wandered close enough to the stand. He calmed me down as my adrenaline was pumping. It was not a perfect shot, but I hit that 8 pointer right in the shoulder and he dropped right there. My BIL told me that the only thing better than getting a deer himself was helping a new hunter get one.

OP- you really need to reevaluate how and why you hunt. It is not for everyone and the amount of time, effort and patience required is huge.

Try skeet and trap or plates and pins. Lots of shooting and instant results. That is why people love it.

I'm not as successful as I would like either. I don't think anyone is. Often times it's because I fall asleep in the stand. One time I woke to see a deer walking the trail right in front of me at 20 yards. No clue I was there. But by the time I managed to get the bow without startling it - it had moved out of a shooting lane. Never saw another deer that day... Another day I got into the tree and hadn't even hauled up my shotgun and a 6 point buck chased several does right by my stand - grunting up a storm. Sounded like a freight train rolling through the woods. Wow what an experience. I got that buck about a week later...

I wonder how many have passed under me while I've been sleeping... But hey - last year was my first so I'm far from a pro. I only tagged 2 bucks. One from the ground and one from a tree. But I put in a ton of effort. I took time off of work and I hunted every single Saturday. Every day it was sun up to sun down. I packed a small lunch and had at it. Brought some TP in case nature called, etc. I wasn't leaving the woods until it was dark or I was dragging a deer.

I think part of your problem may have been that hunting is only a 3 month event for you. PRobably only a small number of days during those 3 months too. For me - it's a year long event. I'm going out in the woods today again to try to find a new spot. I'll pack snacks, bring my small camo stool and just sit out there and see what happens around me after the woods settle. Hopefully I don't get rained on. I've got trail cams out, trophy rocks, etc. Maybe I'll find a new spot and cut some shooting lanes, etc. We'll see how the day goes. I try to have several spots planned - and hunt them depending on the prevailing wind. Once I have a spot picked out I try not to visit it between late August and the start of the season. I love it. I love being out in the woods. I don't even care if I see anything. I usually don't see what I'm hunting - but I usually see something cool.

If you're just walking out into the woods with no plan, no scouting, paying no attention to the wind, making a bunch of noise, getting impatient, and having a bad attitude - than no wonder you aren't successful. Hunting isn't for you. Stick to something fast paced with instant gratification - like playing Cabela's Big Game Hunt on your PC.

OP, sounds like you have anger issues. You need to get your mind right before you handle firearms again.

As for hunting, I've never really had an interest. One of my fellow jakes bagged 4 deer last year, while working. All were hit by cars in our town. He has a deal with the pd to get called right away. He would have had more but the rest were ruined by the impact. He's big into hunting and actually takes 2 weeks off every deer season to go. In 10 years, he's tagged probably 2 that I know of. Majority of his meat came from work.

- Todd

So I'm quitting hunting, this is going to be a rant from somebody with 7 posts so move along if your not interested. The short version is I'm fed up and I do to enjoy it.

The long version: I have been trying to hunt for about 6 years every Saturday and after work during shotgun and blackpowder for 3 years and some turkey and bird hunting thrown in. I have never gotten anything I have seen 2 deer, one I didn't have a tag for and one was running 150 yards away. I have asked other experienced hunters to take me with them and they all agree. Until the season rolls around and then they must be washing their hair the whole month of December because they are no where to be found.

There was an incident last season where someone may or may not have shot at me. It's just not fun anymore. My wife wants me to to quit, when I asked her why she said you aren't the same person 3 months of the year. Your always angry. Aren't hobbies supposed to be relaxing. I didn't have an answer for her. I talked to my brothers who are the only people who I can con into go with me and one brother said he wouldn't care either way if we never went again. The other brother told me the last time we went he didn't even load his gun because "you can't shoot anything if you don't see anything."

the hunters that I do talk to give me pointers but most of the info they give me just confuses me even more. When you dig a little deeper they don't hunt in mass anyway. They take guided trips to PA. One guy took 4 deer last year in mass and didn't tag any of them his methods are questionable at best.

The last day I went hunting it was Christmas morning and I was so fed up I unloaded into a tree.

So o im done, I don't even want to shoot anymore at this point. Has anyone ever felt like this or am I just crazy?

This sounds fake

Meh. I had venicen the first time a few weeks back and it was pretty awesome. I still doubt I'll end up hunting. I try to go hiking a lot, I did much more when we lived in our last place on a state forest. Over a few years I've seen dozens of deer in my yard and in the woods and in the moment never really had the desire to shoot them even had I had all my ducks in a row. I have no issue with it, it just doesn't appeal to me.

If I were to hunt Id likely just go for my usual hikes and bring a shotgun with me. If I see something worth eating... so be it.

The long cold days of sitting around twiddling thumbs honestly sound a lot like the Marine Corps, so I usually just tell my buddies to have fun.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

So in my last post I described what hunting was to me and I said I would do it again. Well, it may be sooner rather than later. I went over my sister's house the other day to drop off some boat charts to my BIL. My nephew (16) came out to show me his brand new birthday present. A Remington 870. So we're getting him his hunting license and I think we'll go this winter to the Berkshires. I was probably more excited than he was. lol

Anyway, that is what hunting is about. Yes, some are more serious than I am about it but it's about getting away out into nature and sharing those stories at night over a beer and an open fire with good friends and making memories for a lifetime.

Heck, if I don't get a deer let alone see one I'll order a venison roast from roach brothers....lol

If you are having issues with people or your usual hunting spot maybe change areas or zones.

Last edited:
This is a rant he should have probably kept to himself. No offense but hang it up, we don't need people like you in the woods.

Your probably unsuccessful because you haven't (paid your dues) I.E. put time in. You need to spend 3X the amount of time scouting as you do hunting to truly be successful.

So I'm quitting hunting, this is going to be a rant from somebody with 7 posts so move along if your not interested. The short version is I'm fed up and I do to enjoy it.

The long version: I have been trying to hunt for about 6 years every Saturday and after work during shotgun and blackpowder for 3 years and some turkey and bird hunting thrown in. I have never gotten anything I have seen 2 deer, one I didn't have a tag for and one was running 150 yards away. I have asked other experienced hunters to take me with them and they all agree. Until the season rolls around and then they must be washing their hair the whole month of December because they are no where to be found.

There was an incident last season where someone may or may not have shot at me. It's just not fun anymore. My wife wants me to to quit, when I asked her why she said you aren't the same person 3 months of the year. Your always angry. Aren't hobbies supposed to be relaxing. I didn't have an answer for her. I talked to my brothers who are the only people who I can con into go with me and one brother said he wouldn't care either way if we never went again. The other brother told me the last time we went he didn't even load his gun because "you can't shoot anything if you don't see anything."

the hunters that I do talk to give me pointers but most of the info they give me just confuses me even more. When you dig a little deeper they don't hunt in mass anyway. They take guided trips to PA. One guy took 4 deer last year in mass and didn't tag any of them his methods are questionable at best.

The last day I went hunting it was Christmas morning and I was so fed up I unloaded into a tree.

So o im done, I don't even want to shoot anymore at this point. Has anyone ever felt like this or am I just crazy?

If i were you, i think i'd try fishing instead. Get a canoe, some gear, couple a beers, much more relaxing....

Get a tree stand, put it on an active run, and be in it LONG BEFORE sunup.
Or the last 2 hrs before sundown also.
Scout your area before the season gets here and know your area. I hope you know what deer droppings look like, scrapes and hoof prints.

Relax, when your waiting for the sun to fully come up ( you are in the woods when it's dark?) take the time to listen to the woods come alive. Turkeys, birds ect. Watch the chipmunks running around. Very relaxing. As my fishing buddy used to say " Suns up, beers cold, phone ain't ringing. Fish is only a bonus!"
Sounds like your approaching it like its a shitty job you got stuck with.

Dave

It sounds like you're really lacking in the patience department. I feel for you - I'm the same way. I tried for a couple years to hunt from stands and then sold all my deer hunting stuff. Once I started still hunting, I had no luck - but found it much more enjoyable.
Pheasant hunting, or "armed walks in the woods and fields" is another thing. You don't need to be quiet, you don't need specialized gear, unless you want it. I hunt without a dog, but with a good pair of boots.
I have yet to get a deer, and I don't really care. I used to have pretty good luck with pheasants, and thought that made the hunt. Then I started hunting with my 4 year old daughter - now I don't get birds anymore - but I love hunting even more!

I am going on year 6 of hunting in MA. I have seen a few deer, taken zero shots/zero kills. Love every minute of it. Even the days I accidentally nap under a tree. Make the best of it. I recently became a step-father, and this Saturday morning I took my 10 year old step son out in the woods with me. We had a blast, showing him tracks and seeing if he could identify them. I go out knowing we wont get anything, he asks me every 15 minutes when the deer are coming, and cannot keep quiet/still, but man is it awesome being out there. Forget the kill. Enjoy the peace.

I have not shot a deer since 1994. That is mostly due to not doing my homework and really only getting one day a week to hunt. I absolutely love being in the woods watching the forrest come to life as the sun rises, it is an enlightening experience for me. I have spend $2k a year for the last three years to hunt Maine and I have not seen a single deer but still enjoy my trip and will do it again.

I have not shot a deer since 1994. That is mostly due to not doing my homework and really only getting one day a week to hunt. I absolutely love being in the woods watching the forrest come to life as the sun rises, it is an enlightening experience for me. I have spend $2k a year for the last three years to hunt Maine and I have not seen a single deer but still enjoy my trip and will do it again.

Sort of in the same boat, been going for many many years. I will be the first one to tell you I get out what I put in…hence the Zero deer results.
The one time I did get an opportunity, I celebrated before I shot and completely missed. [laugh]

Going forward will be different, My son and I (He's 13) are going to focus on them all year. We are going to put our effort in scouting. Hope to have an awesome report for you next fall.

On a certain level, I can sympathize with the OP. I've been trying for 15-16 years now and up until last week, I've never even been presented with a shooting situation. Hour upon hour on stand with nothing to show for my time. More experienced guys promising to take you but not following through. I've seen deer in my trail cam. I've heard them moving in the woods without showing. Twice in all this time I've seen a doe but, naturally, no doe permit that year. Last year at 4:15 one morning in the middle of shotgun season, my wife dragged me out of bed and snapped on the back light to show me the 3 does and an 8 point buck that went right about their buisiness, completely ignoring the flood lights in the backyard. It would have been such an easy shot... Whitetail's have a middle finger. Don't you doubt it. So I feel your pain. I really do.
But that's where the sympathy ends. Emptying your magazine into a tree and then throwing your weapon is unforgivable. Please let that be your last day in the field. Ever. I really don't care if I offend you because it's ******* moves like that that gives the rest of us a bad rep. You obviously have no love or appreciation for the wilderness and you're plain dangerous. Stay home and watch televised sports.

Wow. I thought this thread got locked months ago. I preferred the unedited version. [thinking]

You have to laugh when we are supposedly some of the smartest animals on the planet and yet many of us are constantly outsmarted by an animal that will run into the middle of a highway and stare at your headlights as you barrel towards it doing 70mph. [laugh]

I haven't shot a deer myself in 3 years but my group of hunting buddies shares meat when we do drives and make a kill. Everyone participates, so everyone gets an equal share if we down a brown. Usually its between 4 and 6 of us in a group at any given time, so we really don't have the same manpower as the groups of 20+ that do very well during shotgun season. Not knocking those guys at all... If you have the tags you want to fill the tags. It's just a tad more difficult when you have a smaller group and try to find the perfect area of woods to push through.

I am going on year 6 of hunting in MA. I have seen a few deer, taken zero shots/zero kills. Love every minute of it. Even the days I accidentally nap under a tree. Make the best of it. I recently became a step-father, and this Saturday morning I took my 10 year old step son out in the woods with me. We had a blast, showing him tracks and seeing if he could identify them. I go out knowing we wont get anything, he asks me every 15 minutes when the deer are coming, and cannot keep quiet/still, but man is it awesome being out there. Forget the kill. Enjoy the peace.
Nick great to hear you took your step son out. I took my 12 year old out for the first time last Saturday and saw nothing. In fact I returned with the two boxes of Sabots you sold me. Looking forward to XMAS and the two 10/22's under the tree.

I'm a very unsuccessful hunter.
While I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to, I don't do it just for the kill/meat.
It's the stuff you don't see everyday. Fresh air, exercise.
Watching the critters. Light hitting patches of ice just right.
If I go out and come back with nothing but memories. I'm good.
attachment.php

This sounds like me. I just hunted upland and considered it a nature walk. Rarely killed something but came back refreshed. My doc had me stop these woodland walkabouts but had some great times with friends over the years and a bunch of great memories.

I'm a very unsuccessful hunter.
While I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to, I don't do it just for the kill/meat.
It's the stuff you don't see everyday. Fresh air, exercise.
Watching the critters. Light hitting patches of ice just right.
If I go out and come back with nothing but memories. I'm good. View attachment 109766

While I was set up on the ground in some brush and tall grass two days ago a young hawk flew in and landed on a branch that was maybe 2 feet from me. I literally could have reached out and touched him. Never been that close to one in my life. He hung out for a few min. giving me a chance to get a really good look at him. He was every bit as curious about me as I was about him. I wish I had a camera with me he was impressive. That 5 min alone made the trip worth it.

While I was set up on the ground in some brush and tall grass two days ago a young hawk flew in and landed on a branch that was maybe 2 feet from me. I literally could have reached out and touched him. Never been that close to one in my life. He hung out for a few min. giving me a chance to get a really good look at him. He was every bit as curious about me as I was about him. I wish I had a camera with me he was impressive. That 5 min alone made the trip worth it.

I got an eye-level view of a red-headed woodpecker yesterday at 5 yards. Did you know that have an outer and two inner eyelids to keep their eyeballs from popping out?

I can feel this guys pain. I got my LTC over a year ago and rushed out for a Ruger 22. Little did I know that ammo was a huge issue, tons of junk 22 on the shelves just ruined the experience. Got a 9mm and only junk overpriced 9mm on the shelves. I supported a local club but have about $1,000 in pistols & ammo that is useless after waiting 3 months chewing my nails off for my LTC to come in with no restriction.

Borrowed a long rifle 22 from a friend and went to the range and was hitting a bullseye standing up from 100 yards through the iron sights. Realized I have no business firing a pistol and had just found a new hobby. Took a hunters ed class and by the time this fall came - I had just finished a 3 year project hot rod, repaired my boat and was about 90% recovered from a nasty fall in the spring. I wasn't overly motivated to go hunting but my buddy & his family convinced me. Picked up a $500 shotgun, about $300 in clothing and against all odds I was waking myself up at 2am to get dressed and drive to the hunting location. Money was tight, my better half was angry about all the money I've spent on toys this year along with dealing with me whining and complaining about my injury all year long.

Everyone got me so jacked up "deer are running everywhere out there, don't worry we will see deer everywhere, you'll shoot at something, we all will" etc etc. All I heard from September through November was stories about them taking their first deer and how our location is stuffed with dumb deer just standing still waiting to be shot. Telling me I had nothing to worry about regarding scouting. Turns out, you have to be an effing mountain goat to climb certain areas, it's a 2 hour walk to their stands and it that location appears to be a night feeding spot now. I went out 5 times with them and saw nothing, the fresh tracks were always down low after we'd walk out at 3/4pm and after digging with questions I later learned it's been years since anyone in this large group has taken a shot or taken a deer from this location.

Wanna talk about deflated? I'm about a grand deep in hunting gear & supplies and let everyone convince me not to do my own scouting and learn anything. Fortunately, they will answer every question I ask but the sucky part of it is that they hunt as a group and really just push deer to each other. I'm not too sure anyone truly has the experience or knowledge to guide me in the proper direction to actually develop skills to hunt on my own or with a hunting partner.

Granted I've only been out 5 times and yes it would've been great to see something at the very least - but I did have fun every time and I never took it too serious after the first 2 trips when I realized that I shouldn't have listened so much and done my own scouting. Watching my buddy go head over heels into the river was great, or placing my shotgun outside of my hunting blind only to tip over and slide about 50 feet down a hill all tangled up in my blind, or trying to make my way through all my layers of clothing only to pee all over myself - or my buddy not knowing how to use the spray bottle of urine and blast himself in the face with it, couple giggle fits over the radios, or the self-proclaimed ears of the forest guy setting up 50 yards to my left, as I'm watching a squirrel sneak up behind him and climbing into his pack trying to get at his lunch.

Yes, I'm frustrated and it was only 5 trips - but I did have fun and this spring I plan on putting a lot of time into scouting. I should learn and be successful. I don't take my boat out onto the known waters that are easy to fish - I'm hard headed and have an overwhelming desire to fish the crappy ponds that everyone gets skunked on and learn how expose fish to air. There was one particular place that everyone slammed and hated that they drive by every day and never bother fishing...that for 3 years I tossed my boat in the water 2-3 times a week and got skunked for weeks or longer before I slowly started to figure it out. It was incredibly rewarding and it's a great feeling to bring a buddy out there who hates the place and show them what I've learned. I hope I can do that with deer hunting.

Once you pull the trigger, the hunt is over. That is but a small part of hunting. The thrill ain't the kill. It is being in the woods soaking up and enjoying everything that is there.

If hunting for you IS the kill, then you have it all wrong. Take up bowling.

If hunting for you is NOT the kill, then you should take up bowling. Cause you suck at hunting.

Heckhole,

Where in world are you living that people said deer would just be hanging out ready to be shot?

If you really want some good info go the "the hunting beast" and "huntingchat.net". The beast is has folks that are more spread out in the country and the huntingchat is more more New England folks.

Granted I've only been out 5 times and yes it would've been great to see something at the very least - but I did have fun every time and I never took it too serious after the first 2 trips when I realized that I shouldn't have listened so much and done my own scouting.

Five times is only scratching the surface. I have gone weeks with out seeing a deer in Western Mass.

I have a friend who has been hunting 50+ years who typically shoots 4-6 deer a year in several states. He hunts hard and so far he hasn't pulled a trigger yet this season. Sometimes it just doesn't come together.

Watching my buddy go head over heels into the river was great...

Did that in late December in October Mountain State forest years ago. I was by myself and aways from the truck. I drove home on the pike in my underwear with the heat blasting.[rofl]

Granted I've only been out 5 times and yes it would've been great to see something at the very least - but I did have fun every time and I never took it too serious after the first 2 trips when I realized that I shouldn't have listened so much and done my own scouting. Watching my buddy go head over heels into the river was great, or placing my shotgun outside of my hunting blind only to tip over and slide about 50 feet down a hill all tangled up in my blind, or trying to make my way through all my layers of clothing only to pee all over myself - or my buddy not knowing how to use the spray bottle of urine and blast himself in the face with it, couple giggle fits over the radios, or the self-proclaimed ears of the forest guy setting up 50 yards to my left, as I'm watching a squirrel sneak up behind him and climbing into his pack trying to get at his lunch.

It sounds like you had a few laughs and made some good memories.

If you really want some good info go the "the hunting beast" and "huntingchat.net". The beast is has folks that are more spread out in the country and the huntingchat is more more New England folks.

Great advice.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom