I was not prepared...

In March of 2005 I was at the hospital with my mother and 3 young boys visiting my wife who had just given birth to my little girl. After the visit my mother, boys, and I left my wife's room to begin the trip back to the car. After getting off the elevator on the first floor I noticed a man in a johnny wrestling with another man just a few feet away down the hall. I quickly grabbed my kids and went through a set of doors trying to get my family farther away from the disturbance. As I pulled everyone down a side hall I saw the man in the johnny break away and run in our direction. While we were huddled by an exit, the man burst through the door an stood about 15 feet away facing us. He paused for a moment as it appeared he was contemplating what his next move should be. With my hands I forced my children behind me while I stood facing the man. As I faced the man down I was not prepared to fight him. Instead of stepping away from my children, to close the gap with the man, I just stood there, perfectly erect, hands near by my side...my stance was such that I could have easily been pushed over.

All of a sudden the man he was fighting with came running and slammed the man against the wall with impressive force. The two went down...the man with the johnny was out of the fight.

I later learned that the man with the johnny was a murderer who had just checked himself into the hospital with wounds he received from killing an individual. A nurse recognized the his description and called the police. The disturbance I came upon was a plain clothes officer attempting to take custody of him.

Lessons...

I was not mentally prepared to protect my family. The events on the ground were occurring faster than I was able to respond to them in my mind. From this I have learned to always have a plan...when I see a potential issue I never keep my hands in my pockets or by my side...I never allow my feet to be place in such a way that I would fall back if pushed...I would never allow my family to be so close to me that they would be in the fight if one ever began. I also carry a handgun when my feet hit the floor till they are back in bed in the evening...add a knife during the day...add a flashlight at night.

+1 For years I was bouncing down at Lansdowne. We had all kinds of traning from people but the number one rule of thumb that sticks in my head to this day is always have your hands at the ready. even when face to face with the one who wants to harm you. we were taught a bunch of different ways to keep your hands at a defensive ready without looking like your the agressor.

Perhaps I'll edit this later for more detail, but I had my (renewed) carry permit for about a year prior to carrying. One day I went to a local store that was well lit and with my kid in the car nearly got knifed by some kid in the parking lot for some money.

He actually held the knife to my stomach then for some reason decided to peek into the car to see what it was that had me distracted enough in the first place for him to approach me. He saw my kid in the car, told me to take care of my kids and walked away just like that.

So....I carry whenever and wherever now. Not that it would have saved me on that day, but it taught me about dropping your guard in 'safe places'. No need to get paranoid, just have to realize that you have to keep your eyes open and be prepared for anything because it can happen anywhere.

I will also add that this event occurred at Newton-Wellesley Hospital, which is considered an upper class "safe" area.

Adjusting to a new way of life...

I do not feel paranoid as I regularly survey my surroundings for threats...I feel like I am being a good steward in my responsibilities to protect and provide for my family. Long before I began carrying a gun I acquired term life insurance in the event that if I died leaving my family financially burdened they would be provided for. I never want my family to collect on that policy...but it would be irresponsible not to have it...same is true with carrying and training with a firearm.

I am not morally culpable for the death of any aggressor...

Whenever I leave my wife and kids behind...my gun assures me that I will do everything in my power to come back to them. I have determined that I will never take the life of any person...I will, however, respond to the actions of another person. If someone attempts to hurt my family or take my children's father away, whatever the result will be on account of their actions...

I read somewhere sometime ago about the importance of predetermining my reaction to another's actions...similar to "drawing a line in the sand". If as I walk to my vehicle I see a suspicious individual, with hand in jacket closing the gap towards me I predetermine that at so many feet I will respond in the certain way...20 feet "can I help you?"...15 feet, I try to create distance from threat "Stop!! I do not feel safe"...10 feet, I try to get away from threat, raise my voice, hand on gun...continue to maintain 10 feet, if individual continues, draw gun from holster...if individual shows weapon, pull trigger until threat is gone.

However, if as I walk to my vehicle I see a suspicious individual, with hand in jacket closing the gap towards me I predetermine that at so many feet I will respond in the certain way...20 feet "can I help you?"... [individual] "Yea man do you have five bucks?"...[me] "sorry dude...I gave at the office"...suspicious individual leaves.

Same story...I make the same predeterminations...results vary on account of the individuals actions.

Training...

I am a firearms hobbyist. I enjoy studying trigger mechanisms and the actions and designs of various rifles and handguns. I greatly enjoy shooting my firearms. However, I only shoot two: A glock 27 with GAP finger extension; An ar-15 rifle.

Strangely, I have no desire to shoot any other weapons. No trigger is like my trigger, no grip is like my grip, no recoil is like my recoil. My glock is the definition of what a handgun is to me. I am sure there are better handguns with better triggers, with better reliability, shooting better calibers...but as has been said, "THIS IS MY GLOCK. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE."

I don't want to sound like a nut but my carry gun is very special piece of equipment to me. I would not feel comfortable shooting another Glock 27...I only want to shoot mine. I know it as if it was a part of my body. Again...it is not the best there is...but it is the one I trust (as much as one can trust a piece of machinery).

Training is part of the stewardship responsibility of carrying a firearm. No man will every train enough...but all should train as much as they can.

Back
Top Bottom