If overpenetration is not an issue......

If over penetration is not an issue then use a 1" riffled hollow point slug. That will most assuredly stop most anything. 00 buck comes in a lot of sizes, what size are you proposing? What gauge? To many variables in your question.

Last edited:
At inside distances, anything from #4 buck to slugs will do the work if a bad guy gets in front of your shotgun.

You'll still have to aim the shots, because even #4 buck barely spreads at 20-ish feet with an 18" cylinder bore barrel.

If over penetration is not an issue then use a 1" riffled hollow point slug. That will most assuredly stop most anything. 00 buck comes in a lot of sizes, what size are you proposing? What gauge? To many variables in your question.

12g/2.75/9 pellet

I have #4 Turkey loads in the Mossberg's magazine (5)...and a 5 shot sleeve on the stock that has 00 in it. The #4 is for inside...the 00 is for outside if necessary (then I have to drag them back into the house...).

If over penetration is not an issue then use a 1" riffled [sic] hollow point slug. That will most assuredly stop most anything. 00 buck comes in a lot of sizes, what size are you proposing? What gauge? To many variables in your question.

If "over penetration is not an issue," you are almost certainly NOT in a building. If you are outside, non-LEO self-defense scenarios involving shotguns in MA are, shall we say, limited. This would preclude such a penetrating load as a slug.

As for the assertion that, "00 buck comes in a lot of sizes," I beg to differ. "00" is the size, regardless of what gauge it is loaded in.

My HD choice is #4. If I could find those Remington combo loads, I'd get the 4x6 combo.

When I say over penetration is not an issue what I mean is that if I were to ever need my HD shotgun, other houses will only ever be at my back. If I shot down my stairs or out my bedroom door, the round could go through every wall for I care, I live up against conservation land without a house for miles.

If "over penetration is not an issue," you are almost certainly NOT in a building. If you are outside, non-LEO self-defense scenarios involving shotguns in MA are, shall we say, limited. This would preclude such a penetrating load as a slug.

I am most certainly in a building. It's called MY HOME! If I choose to shoot the bad guy and the wall out at the same time, why should you care? I choose to use a slug.

Clearly you don't own your own property.

Last edited:
I am most certainly in a building. It's called MY HOME! If I choose to shoot the bad guy and the wall out at the same time, why should you care? I choose to use a slug.

Then choose to accept the consequences of collateral damage caused by your less-than-ideal ammo selection, possibly compounded by poor aim.

A known consequence of home-invasion-induced stress.......

YOu'll never know with 100% certainty that there is nothing beyond that exterior wall.
It could be your family, a neighbor, neighbor's kid, LEO responding to the call.

By the way. A 1 1/8 oz load of #9 shot in the confines of a typical home is going to have the stopping power of a slug. The pattern won't have a chance to open much at all but the shot won't have much energy after it passes through a wall.

I'm in the same boat - over-penetration is of little concern here. I use Federal Vital-Shok 2 3/4 00 Buck, with a couple of Brenneke KO's in reserve (sidesaddle). Truthfully, I can't imagine needing more than one, (man, that would be loud as hell), and hope I never have to, but have more on deck just in case...

Then choose to accept the consequences of collateral damage caused by your less-than-ideal ammo selection, possibly compounded by poor aim.

A known consequence of home-invasion-induced stress.......

Collateral damage? I don't live in a condo. I have a home on 22 acres of land. The nearest neighbor is 1000 yards away! Stop applying your Boston condo rules to me. I can shoot my AR out back in my range and "the neighbors" never know. We don't all live like you.

My HD shotgun is filled with 2.75" 00b.

EC, is the #4 selected based on penetration characteristics of walls or damage to bad guys? Or both?

Both. I figure that 41 .24" pellets will cause more damage than 9 .33" pellets. The smaller pellets will penetrate kevlar body armor, and fewer walls.

I have had the good fortune to shoot a section of wall from my home after some construction. My house was built in 1750, and as such, has no drywall, except the basement. I was surprised by how heavy the 3'x3' section of wall was and by how much effort it took to get buckshot to penetrate it...I have it on video somewhere and should see if I can dig it up and download it to my computer. It was pretty interesting...I would think modern drywall construction would certainly lead to one being more concerned with round penetration....

I have had the good fortune to shoot a section of wall from my home after some construction. My house was built in 1750, and as such, has no drywall, except the basement. I was surprised by how heavy the 3'x3' section of wall was and by how much effort it took to get buckshot to penetrate it...I have it on video somewhere and should see if I can dig it up and download it to my computer. It was pretty interesting...I would think modern drywall construction would certainly lead to one being more concerned with round penetration....

If you get it uploaded I'd love to see that!

Back
Top Bottom