If reloading- do you still buy commercial ammo?

Well, I enjoy reloading and reload for 9mm, 40 S&W and .45ACP. To date I don't shoot enough .38 or .357MAG or .223 to reload.

However- I can't pass up a good deal on commercial ammo that I usually reload. I found 50 round boxes of .45ACP for $10.97 (CCI Brass), 100 rounds of .40 S&W for $19.98 (WWB) and 100 rounds of 9mm for 14.56 (WWB). I bought a bunch since time is at a premium lately and I'm not to keen on reloading in the sweltering heat.

Do you reloaders cheat sometimes? [smile]

Only if I don't have time to get to the press....

or a caliber I don't load for. My main revolver will only set off Federal primers, so most factory stuff is out anyway.

I just noticed though, WWB = Winchester White box = Wally World Box (at those prices- I'm right, yes?)

Don't know if someone else already caught it- I'm a bit slow sometimes- I do 95% of my shooting in USPSA revolver division, after all.... ;)

Last edited:
I just noticed though, WWB = Winchester White box = Wally World Box (at those prices- I'm right, yes?)

lol.. I think technically WWB stands for Winchester White Box. Not sure what Wally World Box is but it was from Wally World!

It's pretty common for the "value packs" that people get to mainly be purchased there, that's all. These are the random things that fly through overtired minds....that just came from Wal-Mart ;)

I reload and buy factory ammo. My brass has got to come from somewhere, and I like to have some free time to do something other than reload. My free time is pretty hard to come buy as it is.

If you want to talk about cheating, I found some .357 mag blazer (aluminum) for $9.50 a box a couple of weeks ago that I bought 5 boxes of and didn't feel the least bit bad.

I buy Wally World White Box for my bi-annual qualifications. Other than that, I reload everything but carry ammo.
The only exception is 30-06 CMP ammo.

relaoding

I just got into this recently. I intend to reload 9 38 45. I have loaded about 200 9's and a small amout of 45's. I've stopped buying factory ammo for
now. My plan (and they do change) is to reload in the winter, i have a heated space. I shoot bullseye in the winter and thats 22 ammo and
i can't reload that. This is my suggestion for the limited knowledge i have.

JimB

What's the current break-even point of reloading vs. buying new? I'm firing 40S&W (although I'm getting hooked to shooting, so that may soon change)..

It seems like it's a hell of a lot of work, although I can see the appeal.

.45ACP example. (all figures rounded up to nearest dollar)

Large pistol primers: $15.00/500
Brass : can be found free at many ranges
200g Lead SWC : $22.00/500 in quantity
W231 powder : $4.00/500 give or take

500 rounds of .45ACP therefore costs about $41.00 plus about two hours or less of your time.

500 rounds of .45ACP WWB is now selling for about $28.00/100 or $140.00/500 or a difference of $99.00/500 rounds.

A basic Dillon 550B set up with .45ACP dies, scale, tumbler, and misc. accessories can be had for around $600.00 with careful shopping, less if you buy used. By my calculations, you have to shoot about 3000 rounds or so to get back your investment. Note that there are less expensive set-ups than the 550. YMMV, but I'd say it is a no-brainer, you shoot better too.

I reload .32 long, .32 Mag, 7.62x25, .30 Car., 9MM .38, .357, .40 S&W, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45ACP, .45LC, 12, 16, 20, 28ga, and .410, .223, .243, .30-30, 7.62x39, .270, .308, 7.62x54, and .45-70. I cast most of my pistol bullets. And I keep a box of factory for most of them for home defence.

I just looked at that list and now understand why I spend most of my time reloading or at the range.

. but I'd say it is a no-brainer, you shoot better too.

That's the thing I like. My handloads shoot much better than factory loads (unless I want to shell out some serious $$$ for match ammo)

But like anybody, I won't pass up a deal. Hell I own ammo that I don't own guns for because the price was right [wink]

I figgure I'll either buy a gun, or shoot it through a friend's gun.

Arrrr

-Weer'd

PS: I personally rather enjoy a nice quiet morning with an old Movie on (I don't really pay much attention to it) and the presses a goin'

So true! Especially considering it's almost impossible to find good, once used .45 brass at the range thee days.

There -IS- an upside for those of us that have ranges with plenty of range pigs.... no problems finding free brass. [laugh]

-Mike

What's the current break-even point of reloading vs. buying new? I'm firing 40S&W (although I'm getting hooked to shooting, so that may soon change)..

It seems like it's a hell of a lot of work, although I can see the appeal.

Money wise it is cheaper, but for me at least, it's performance especially with rifle loads. I can tune the ammo to a particular gun to get it to do what I want. You can't always get that out of factory ammo. I will still buy factory ammo like somebody said earlier, you gotta get you're brass from someplace.

Yea, I was in heaven at the S&W shoot. [rofl2]
+1.

I am ashamed to admit that I don't function test defensive ammo. I have one gun and setup that I know works and I have not bought new ammo since well before I started reloading.

I can't see paying for brass at all. There is simply too much of it out there. If I broke 1k a month I could see running out.

I can't see paying for brass at all. There is simply too much of it out there. If I broke 1k a month I could see running out.

It depends on the caliber. I recently bought some new .460 S&W Mag and 10mm brass because it's unlikely that I'm going to find any lying around. However, I never have and probably never will buy .38 Special or .45 ACP brass.

Reload almost all the ammo I shoot except 223 and some times 9mm and of course I don’t load 22LR.
I have to load 356TSW 9x21.5 because there is hardly any factory ammo for sale.
I also purchase small amounts of factory ammo in 9mm, 10mm, 45acp and 380 for carry. This is usually Federal Hydroshock or Winchester Silvertips

I buy ammo for calibers that I don’t shoot enough to reload for. I also buy ammo for guests to shoot as I don’t want to be part of the problem should there be a “Ka-Boom” type incident.

It would bother me greatly if someone was hurt shooting my firearm and my reloaded ammo. Not knowing if the problem was my reloads could be devastating.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I also buy ammo for guests to shoot as I don’t want to be part of the problem should there be a “Ka-Boom” type incident.

It would bother me greatly if someone was hurt shooting my firearm and my reloaded ammo. Not knowing if the problem was my reloads could be devastating.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Great point. I tend to do this as well.

Back
Top Bottom