If Trump were to be elected, what actions could he take to support the Second Amendment (2A)?

Trump is a NY liberal at the end of the day. The left has gone complete insane, but don't forget who Trump is at his core. He's still a lefty at heart. We saw that with bump stocks. Him saying to take the guns first and worry about due process later. He's not going to go out of his way to help 2A. I hope I'm wrong, but the evidence isn't there.

I am just curious,

If Trump were to be elected in 2024, what actions could he take to support the Second Amendment (2A)?
Is that going to affect Massachusetts?
Considering he supported red flag laws, a bump stock band, and Diane Feinstein's pass at an assault weapons ban, probably not a goddamn thing.

Although Trump is certainly no friend of 2A, neither is Biden. Biden has been one of, if not the most anti-2A president ever. Trump is the lesser of 2 evils.

No doubt.

I think anyone thinking Trump is pro-2A is hopelessly naive. Anyone thinking Biden is better is completely delusional.

So it’s between bad and worst.

I wouldn't say that.

It's between not-great and worst.

Trump won't actively help RKBA, but he's unlikely to actively hurt it either. He'd probably rather just leave it alone. He's not idealogical about it either way.

I'm not sure what you're driving at by asking the question, honestly. If you're expecting to see some 2A crusader who rides in on his white horse and makes a big show out of dismantling every gun-control measure ever passed, you can forget about it. No such candidate is ever likely to get establishment support, and it's hard to get elected without any establishment support. Remember, neither side is truly RKBA because both sides would ultimately rather see the government have a monopoly on armed force.

While I don't in anyway believe that Trump is some kind of second coming of Jesus he kept us from getting Hillary. He would replace Brandon. He would more than likely put better judges on the bench than Brandon or anyone else for that matter. Good? probably not. Better? definitely.

Although Trump is certainly no friend of 2A, neither is Biden. Biden has been one of, if not the most anti-2A president ever. Trump is the lesser of 2 evils.
Remember too that this is Trumps last election, last term if elected, so he doesn’t need to pander to any constituency to raise money for the next campaign. I’ll take that as he’ll do more for the Second Amendment than any other viable candidate.

Realistically, doing anything in DC requires political capital. Even Trump wins in a landslide, he still has priorities on what he spends time and political capital on, while the SwampTM throws everything and the kitchen sink at him. I think if he could reverse the tide of illegal invasion domestically, exit Ukraine favorably/keep China in check diplomatically, and nominate some pro-liberty judges administratively while give some enemies domestic aneurisms, it would’ve worth my vote in gold personally.

he promised us the world last time and did absolutely nothing actually we lost ground. as much as I would like to think that if he gets in he's going to do the right thing he did not do it the last time.
I don’t see how you lost ground. You all can get unrestricted LTCs now because of his appointees to the SCOTUS. Thats the most ground MA has ever gained on gun rights since the revolution. Everything else that’s ever happened in MA with regard to gun rights has been lost ground.

You’re also going to gain a hell of a lot of ground once the challenges come to AWBs if they’re heard by decent judges. And the only way that’s gonna happen is if Trump gets reelected to appoint them.

I am just curious,

If Trump were to be elected in 2024, what actions could he take to support the Second Amendment (2A)?
Is that going to affect Massachusetts?
He already did. He put 3 justices on the SCOTUS. Had Hillary won her 3 would have taken your 2A rights away. Bruen, which I consider more important than Heller, WOULD have been 6-3 against.

You want to support the 2A, join every 2A rights organization you can and stop voting for Democrats.

Trump, or any leader, is a single entity capable of doing little without an army. Over 95% of gun owners and 2A supporters in America DO NOTHING to support gun rights in America. No 2A rights organization memberships, no financial donations, many vote for god damned Democrats. Until this changes, and we gain millions of 2A Soldiers for the cause, not much will change in the long game. And no, sitting around your house bitching about bump stocks doesn't count.

Everyone saying he can't do anything is flat-out wrong. There are tons of things he could do, including helping to oust Republicans who are weak on 2A and appointing pro-2A judges to the courts of appeals and in the district courts. He could attack any bureaucracy involved in the harvesting and aggregation of gun owners' data without warrants. He could set the civil rights department of the DOJ on any group involved in attacking the 2A.

The worst thing he will do is allow another bump stock fiasco as part of some deal, he will most likely do very little one way or the other (which is good), but the sky is the limit and ultimately comes down to how he manages to staff the government. It sounds like they've learned some lessons, but that remains to be seen. Expecting Trump to be perfect on any of the core issues for Republicans is asking for a miracle. However there is no doubt that a Trump win is better for the 2A than anyone coming from the left, including Nimarata.

Edit: Some of you don't give the guy any credit. I am fairly certain Trump appointed judges in places like CA that have struck down silly attacks on gun rights by lunatics like Newsom.

Agreed and there was definitely some turn over that is good. But conservatives need to be careful because among their ranks are the 'back the blue, muh law and order' conservatives and they will tell you right to your face "The police need to be better armed than citizens because reasons" (law and order BS reasoning). So although the outlook for 2A is generally positive, the CA1, CA2 and Ca9 are still wholly under the democratic sphere with no hopes of changing. All we have is the hope and prayers that they do stupid things like they just did in the RI magazine ban case the other day. The judges on SCOTUS are smart enough to see the end run that was done around Heller, now we get to see if the political capital was worth it or not.
I missed this announcement. Can you elaborate?

Biden enacted more gun control than any president in our history. More than Trump and Obama combined I believe, and he’s on track to do more. Let that sink in.
Biden was enabled by Trump when Trump ignored the Administrative procedures act and implemented the bump stock ban. The ATF grabbed the football and ran away with it. This is why I don't like either Trump or the NRA.

He already did. He put 3 justices on the SCOTUS. Had Hillary won her 3 would have taken your 2A rights away. Bruen, which I consider more important than Heller, WOULD have been 6-3 against.

You want to support the 2A, join every 2A rights organization you can and stop voting for Democrats.
I have always said the only thing Trump did (right) was his court appointees.

In the grand scheme of things, most Presidents do very little that can not be undone by a future POTUS or Congress, but the right court appointees, especially SCOTUS are effective in shaping the direction of the country for decades and for years after that so long as their rulings stand.
(See Roe v Wade)

but that being said, we had a Republican President and for the first 2 years of his presidency a Republican controlled congress.

He could have asked someone to introduce just one piece of legislation to help the 2A community and we got squat.

His administration gave us the Bump Stock ban.

Now I think they are gimicky, and I'd never own one because I like precision in the placement of my shots, but it is still IMHO an infringement of my rights to ban them and he allowed it to happen on his watch

I know we are better off having had Trump for those four years, and in the long run we who lean conservative are better off, but I still would have liked to have been tossed a bone from the desk of the President in the way of a signed piece of pro 2A legislation

Back
Top Bottom