Important reminder for all hunters...

This ought to be part of every hunter safety course...

I agree.

Thanks for posting that video. After watching it I would consider it required viewing for any hunter, veteran or beginner. It brought tears to my eyes.

I'll be passing this link along.

Hunt Safe!

This is especially scary stuff for a n00b hunter like me- I've never seen a deer through a scope (well, not one that was attached to a rifle)... and they talk about "buck fever" which I'm sure is what the shooter suffered from.

I hope to remember to do a mental/visual check for 1. Antlers > 3 inches 2. 4 legs 3. White tail before pulling the trigger, but who knows when the time actually comes.

Holy crap! I am assuming that was the actual 911 call. They were all eerily calm for what was going on.

Although a tragedy, and I am sure completely unintentional, this is the classic case of not knowing what you are shooting at. 100% avoidable and IMO it is borderline on being able to use the word "accidental." Accidents certainly can, and do, happen when hunting (i.e. you can fall with your gun on ready, someone can be behind your target you did not know about, etc.). This guy seems to have hit what he was shooting at...

My heart goes out to those guys and his family. I cannot even imagine.

One time I shot while hunting in which someone was in the area behind my target (but I knew it and didn't think before I blasted a couple of quick shots at a charging buck at about 5 yards). The feeling I got immediately after when I realized my partner was over the hill, and before I knew I he was OK, I will never, ever forget. I don't think I drew a breath until I saw him.

Be safe this December.

WOW! Listening to the 911 call made me cry. Seeing his widow made me cry. Thanks for posting this. I don't hunt, but the lesson is there for all of us.

This is especially scary stuff for a n00b hunter like me- I've never seen a deer through a scope (well, not one that was attached to a rifle)... and they talk about "buck fever" which I'm sure is what the shooter suffered from.

I hope to remember to do a mental/visual check for 1. Antlers > 3 inches 2. 4 legs 3. White tail before pulling the trigger, but who knows when the time actually comes.

And don't forget your backstop.

I think if you emphasize fair chase and ethical shots you can innoculate yourself against buck fever. I've passed on more shots than I've taken this bird season (including a 50 yard setup on a big tom turkey in which I was angled a little bit toward a dirt road), and it has made me feel good at the end of the day not to have taken shots that have been darkened with doubt.

I just like being out there in the woods, wild and free. If I harvest I consider it a bonus to a great day in the field. When I sit down to supper, I want to be able to eat my game with a clear conscience: that I had the discipline and respect to take the game in a humane and ethical manner.

Even if the young man who pulled the trigger had shot a deer instead of his buddy, how could you possibly take an ethical shot in the darkness only aiming at "deer sounds"? Even if he were the only person in the woods, and SURE that what he heard was in fact a deer, taking the shot would be so incredibly unethical that it boggles the mind.

The thing about hunting is that you never have to pull the trigger. There is no rule that says that you are required to harvest. So if you're going out for the first time, just think of it as walking in the woods with your gun. If the opportunity presents itself, pull the trigger of course. If you don't feel right, just observe and learn as much as possible about your quarry.

Back
Top Bottom