"In control of" defined, by precedent. Yay, I found it!

HooVooLoo

NES Member
One of the places they filmed the "Stonado" movie.
I searched high and low, and finally found what being in control of a firearm really means legally, but only through caselaw. It is not a Black's Law dictionary-type-definition in MA, but it will suffice. Was found in the AG's amicus brief on Commonwealth v. Runyan, which is still under argument.

2. Section 131L’s plain language permits an owner or other lawfully authorized
user to keep an operable firearm for self-defense in the home.

...§131L’s requires only that firearms be securely stored; it does not prohibit any possession of handguns whatsoever in the home. Moreover, § 131L’s plain language includes an exemption that allows owners and other lawfully authorized users to use firearms for self-defense in the home. More specifically, § 131L(a)’s second sentence exempts firearms “carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user” from storage.

(“Where the language of a statute is plain, it must be interpreted in accordance with the usual and natural meaning of the words. In particular, absent clear indication to the contrary, statutory language is to be given its ‘ordinary lexical meaning.’”
Commonwealth v. Biagiotti, 451 Mass. 599, 601-02 (2008)).

The plain and ordinary meaning of the language used in § 131L(a)’s second sentence is that the section’s safe-storage provisions are inapplicable whenever a firearm is “carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.”

This straightforward reading of the statute is confirmed by the Legislature’s use of the phrases “carried by” and “under the control of.” Both of these phrases have established meanings that are sufficiently broad to permit the use of a firearm for self-defense in the home. The phrase “carried by” indicates that the exemption applies whenever the firearm is in the hands or on the person of the owner or other lawfully authorized user... Muscarello v. United States, 524 U.S. 125, 134 (1998) (“‘Carry’ implies personal agency and some degree of possession[.]”).

In a similar context, the Court has stated that “‘[c]arrying’ a firearm occurs when a defendant knowingly has more than momentary possession of a working firearm and moves it from one place to another.” Commonwealth v. Ramirez, 407 Mass. 553, 558 (1990) (quoting Commonwealth v. Seay, 376 Mass. 735, 737 (1978)) (defining “carrying” for purposes of G.L. c. 269, § 10(a)).

This definition is sufficiently broad to permit an owner or other lawfully authorized user, who is carrying a firearm, to keep the firearm available for self-defense in the home.

The phrase “under the control of” is even broader. “‘Control’ requires that one exercise dominion over a particular item.” Commonwealth v. Gray, 5 Mass. App. Ct. 296, 299 (1977).

Individuals generally have dominion or control over objects that are on their body or within their reach. In the context of searches incident to arrest, for instance, the Supreme Court has construed the term “immediate control” to mean the “area from within which [the arrestee] might gain possession of a weapon[.]” Chimel v. California, 395 U.S. 752, 763 (1961); see also Commonwealth v. Alvarado, 420 Mass. 542, 554 (1995) (same).

Ordinarily, this zone of control extends to any weapons within the arrestee’s reach. See Alvarado, 420 Mass. at 554 (“A search incident to arrest is limited to the area within the arrestee’s immediate control as its purpose is to protect the arresting officer from weapons . . . , which may be within the arrestee’s reach… Riley v. Kentucky, 120 S.W.3d 622, 629 (Ky. 2003) (defendant properly found in control of 2 firearms “which were laying in an unobstructed location only six to eight feet from where he was sitting”).

Safe-storage statutes in other states shed further light on the meaning of the phrase “under the control of.” See Seideman v. City of Newton, 452 Mass. 472, 478 (2008) (“We derive the words’ usual and accepted meanings from sources presumably known to the statute's enactors, such as their use in other legal contexts[.]”) (quoting Commonwealth v. Zone Book, Inc., 372 Mass. 366, 369 (1977)).

California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin all have safe-storage laws that, like § 131L(a), provide exemptions for when the firearm is carried by the owner or “within such close proximity” to the owner that the owner can readily retrieve the firearm. Thus, like the standard applicable to searches incident to arrest, other states’ safe-storage statutes define control in terms of what is or is not within the owner’s reach.

These legal definitions of control were available when § 131L was enacted and, thus, presumably known to the Legislature… Given the similarity of statutory purpose and language, the phrase “under the control of” as used in § 131L(a) is properly interpreted in the same manner as these generally-accepted legal definitions.

Accordingly, §131L(a)’s “under the control of” exemption applies whenever a firearm is in such close proximity to the owner or other lawfully authorized user that it can be readily reached and retrieved for that individual’s use, including for self-defense in the home.

In sum…§ 131L’s plain language demonstrates that… So long as a firearm is on or in close proximity to the owner or other lawfully authorized user’s person such that it can be readily retrieved, the firearm may be kept unsecured and fully operable and, thus, immediately available for self-defense in the home. See Heller, 128 S. Ct. at 2822; Commonwealth v.Cantelli, No. 08-422, 2009 WL 1514958, *2 (Mass. Sup. Ct. May 29, 2009) (Sanders, J.)

*whew*

Last edited:
You must have missed it then...

(defendant properly found in control of 2 firearms “which were laying in an unobstructed location only six to eight feet from where he was sitting”).

Accordingly, §131L(a)’s “under the control of” exemption applies whenever a firearm is in such close proximity to the owner or other lawfully authorized user that it can be readily reached and retrieved for that individual’s use...

...So long as a firearm is on or in close proximity to the owner or other lawfully authorized user’s person such that it can be readily retrieved, the firearm may be kept unsecured and fully operable and, thus, immediately available for self-defense in the home.

OK I see what is spelled out in front of me, but it doesn't clarify if you're actually in control of ...

Nevermind I see you are "Not in MA". Good for you!! :)

hmmmmm here is the problem with the nightstand. You are sleeping and thus not in control.

Babysitters have been arrested for injuries a child/baby suffered because the baby sitter was sleeping and was not in control of the child.I think parents have had children taken away for the same reason when the child wanders off. They are "unsuitable" WHOA its the same word in the gun laws! Yep the suitability bites you in mass everywhere you turn. The state knows better than you. Get used to it.

Sleep with a holster on you and you are just fine. [wink]

An amicus brief is NOT precedent. It is the opinion of one particular party (in this case, the AG). It is not the opinion of any court, and thus is not binding on any court.

Furthermore, as discussed above, the opinion may not cover the situation where you are sleeping. Yes, it is in your reach, but that doesn't mean you are in control of it when you are sound asleep.

See, if they benefit by arresting you while "in control" of a firearm, the definition is expanded to mean a mile away. But if they benefit by arresting you if the firearm is not close enough, the definition is phrased in terms of millimeters. Conversely, if they benefit by arresting you when sleeping, "in control" does not apply while asleep. If you would ostensibly benefit from being asleep when they arrest you, the definition is such that "in control" does not cover while sleeping.

Thanks for playing calvin ball.

Best advice. If you are ever asked from where you retrieved your gun, the answer is "from legally valid storage".

Last edited:
Man, that clears up EVERYTHING! <sarcasm off>

More gobbledeegook. Leave it to MA to define a term using 'in control of' and 'within reach' in a circular fashion, so as to leave the reader still completely confused.

carl-agntsa.jpg

Thanks for playing calvin ball.
That pretty much sums up MA laws. Our Courts are an abomination to freedom. They have no shame in making up whatever suits their agenda. Since that agenda, driven by unopposed elections and rampant corruption in the state house, is shared by the legislators and the executive branch - no one feels a need to check and balance anyone else.

Just get a quick access handgun safe and put it on your night stand
Yes, and then some night set the alarm for the middle of the night and see how rapidly you can get in and out of said safe in the dark...

It ain't pretty...

If it is rapid, then your combination is too simple and your young child will be able to figure it out...

Yes, and then some night set the alarm for the middle of the night and see how rapidly you can get in and out of said safe in the dark...

It ain't pretty...

If it is rapid, then your combination is too simple and your young child will be able to figure it out...

It works for me, quick and easy.

So what if it's rapid, and simple, it's still a lot harder for a young child than an unlocked up handgun in a holster or worse, no holster. I don't leave it there all the time, just when I am sleeping. I also keep a flashlight right there next to it. They are made with finger grooves, that your fingers fit into and then you type a sequence, no need to even look at it.

It works for me, quick and easy.

So what if it's rapid, and simple, it's still a lot harder for a young child than an unlocked up handgun in a holster or worse, no holster. I don't leave it there all the time, just when I am sleeping. I also keep a flashlight right there next to it. They are made with finger grooves, that your fingers fit into and then you type a sequence, no need to even look at it.
I have one - it's quick and easy in theory... In practice is another matter...

teach your children about guns and what they are capable of and the kid issue should be non existant.

So you are willing to trust a 6, 8, 10 or 12 or 14 year old ( pick a cut off point) to do the right thing and not turn an unsecured weapon into a lethal tragedy? I'm not.

How about one of his friends that you haven't trained? Kids don't always do or don't do what you have taught them. That is why they are called kids.

So you are willing to trust a 6, 8, 10 or 12 or 14 year old ( pick a cut off point) to do the right thing and not turn an unsecured weapon into a lethal tragedy? I'm not.

How about one of his friends that you haven't trained? Kids don't always do or don't do what you have taught them. That is why they are called kids.
Let me state that I do not condone leaving firearms or any weapon for that matter unattended in the presense of children(I also keep mine in a keyed safe).But i do believe when children are taught about them that they are less likely to mess around with them.My kids arent allowed to point toy guns at people so that its stuck in their head that weapons can be dangerous.

I misunderstood your comment. I agree with you. Kids need to be trained. Although I let them point TOY guns at people, I've taught them the difference between Toy and real.

If I am equidistant from my gun as an another person, then am I still in control of it, even if it is within my grasp? Can two or more people share control of an object according to the court's definition?

A woman has her gun in her purse by her side in the family car. Her 18 year old son is sitting in the passenger seat. The gun is easily within reach of both persons (The kid has a longer reach). Seems both persons are in control of it according to the definition.

I dunno. The only entity in the whole state with the experience, intelligence, and wisdom to answer this question is the SJC. [rolleyes]

The same standard should apply to guns, as would be applied for a bag of drugs. They shouldn't be able to say one is "in your control" and the other is not, when both are equally accessible.

If I am equidistant from my gun as an another person, then am I still in control of it, even if it is within my grasp? Can two or more people share control of an object according to the court's definition?

A woman has her gun in her purse by her side in the family car. Her 18 year old son is sitting in the passenger seat. The gun is easily within reach of both persons (The kid has a longer reach). Seems both persons are in control of it according to the definition.

The legal term would be "constructive possession".

Just get a quick access handgun safe and put it on your night stand
Note that he never said to put the gun in it, just to put the safe on your night stand. See above comments about "legally valid storage". [wink]

The legal term would be "constructive possession".
Which still doesn't explain anything, only gives us a term. Would you care to define that for us?

Back
Top Bottom