• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In the New Mexico Wilderness, a Survivalist Compound Asks $30 Million

So if we are to apply that to the total reported 312 acres, that's $1,296,151. for the entire set of parcels and $437,835 for the house. So $1,733,986. assessor's value for the entire thing he's asking $30M for.
There is a substantial risk to any buyer there will be an "at market" assessment.

I got bit by that in the 80's - a 4 family was taxed a 2.21 times the residential rate, but the city compensated by routinely under assessing the small 4 unit buildings. The one day, boom - Assessments went up by about 150% to full market. In the words of the Rochester, NY city attorney I spoke to at the time "We've been looking for ways to take more money from you investors". The big guys got "capitalization assessment" (assessment based on percentage of estimated rental income) so only the small scale investor was targeted.

I'd never buy a property where there was a huge divergence between price and assessed value unless that was typical across the market in that taxing jurisdiction, or there was something like a "declared percentage investment" such as "30% of value assessment".

There is a substantial risk to any buyer there will be an "at market" assessment.

I got bit by that in the 80's - a 4 family was taxed a 2.21 times the residential rate, but the city compensated by routinely under assessing the small 4 unit buildings. The one day, boom - Assessments went up by about 150% to full market. In the words of the Rochester, NY city attorney I spoke to at the time "We've been looking for ways to take more money from you investors". The big guys got "capitalization assessment" (assessment based on percentage of estimated rental income) so only the small scale investor was targeted.

I'd never buy a property where there was a huge divergence between price and assessed value unless that was typical across the market in that taxing jurisdiction, or there was something like a "declared percentage investment" such as "30% of value assessment".

For sure, there can be assessment true-ups from time to time depending on which way the wind is blowing for the jurisdiction. I just feel this guy is trying to sell a story and is nowhere near neighborhood comp pricing, where the rich people homes are like $1-3M, including good acreage. Maybe he's got redundant generators and a koi pond. Still not going to make it worth $30M. Maybe he actually shelled out tens of millions to build it. Doesn't mean it is worth that much. Just means he spent that much.

But I suppose it doesn't really matter because I didn't end up winning Mega Millions. Can't make an offer. Good thing I waited to see if I won.

For sure, there can be assessment true-ups from time to time depending on which way the wind is blowing for the jurisdiction. I just feel this guy is trying to sell a story and is nowhere near neighborhood comp pricing, where the rich people homes are like $1-3M, including good acreage. Maybe he's got redundant generators and a koi pond. Still not going to make it worth $30M. Maybe he actually shelled out tens of millions to build it. Doesn't mean it is worth that much. Just means he spent that much.

But I suppose it doesn't really matter because I didn't end up winning Mega Millions. Can't make an offer. Good thing I waited to see if I won.
QFTMFT

Goes for custom gun builds as well.

Anyone want to guess if this is an "access chute" to a much larger and more opulent underground lair...?
The "upstairs" is a mock display...

1659377439990.png

"This Just IN..."

All Yaks will be replaced by up-armored "Battle Stags TM "

battlestag.gif ezgif-4-7be10d4c4d.gif DecisiveDisfiguredIrishwolfhound-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom