• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Injury accidents on training ranges:

JimConway

Instructor
The latest from John Farnam

Nearly all independent trainers, like myself, have witnessed students perpetrate NDs on ranges. Genuine ADs, resulting from defective guns and/or ammunition, do occur, but they are extremely rare.

The vast majority of NDs involve single shots, and the errant bullet subsequently impacts harmlessly. However, every so often a student is shot accidentally, due to an ND.

The vast majority of these injuries involve handguns and are self-inflicted.

In nearly forty years of conducting shooting instruction on ranges, I've personally witnessed three. All involved handguns, and all were self-inflicted.

The first (early 1980s) involved a student getting his support hand in front of his muzzle during a low-light exercise. The single, 9mm hardball
round passed through the side of the small joint of his ring-finger. Doctors
subsequently fused the joint, so all he got out of it was the inability to flex his ring-finger completely.

His pistol was a S&W with a two-stage decocking lever, and the student had failed to decock after firing his first rounds. As he fumbled for the lever, one of his other fingers found the trigger just as his support-hand wandered out ahead of the muzzle.

The next took place on an outdoor range in the Midwest eight years later.
A student, a gunsmith, dropped his G17. Instead of just letting it fall to the ground, he fumbled with it. Again, a finger made contact with the trigger. The single round (hardball) went through his thigh, inside to outside. In fact, I saw the bullet hit the ground next to him after it exited.

Happily, the bullet passed through without hitting his femoral artery, nor his femur, nor anything else particularly exciting. We transported him to the local hospital emergency room where they did little more than put a band-aid on entry and exit wounds and send him on his way. He was never admitted, and, less than an hour after his arrival, departed and returned to the Range with us and completed the Course, albeit with a slight limp!

The last took place at an indoor range on the West Coast fourteen years ago. A student holstered her Taurus copy of Beretta. It was Taurus'
1911-style Beretta-copy and was thus correctly carried cocked-and-locked. She had
a generic hip-holster, but her finger was wrapped around the trigger, and the pistol's manual safety was mysteriously "off," as she slid the pistol into the scabbard. Of course, the holster itself shoved her finger into the trigger, and the pistol functioned normally.

She was a slim gal, so the bullet (9mm hardball) made nothing more than a twelve-inch streak-mark down her right leg. It then demolished itself on the concrete floor. The bullet never actually penetrated her skin, so there was scant bleeding. She was treated and released at the local hospital, again spending less than an hour there. Unlike my gunsmith, however, she did not return to the Course.

Happily, none of the three incidents produced significant injury, but they did happen, and any one of them could have been much more serious. More to the point, I was standing within a few feet of each student when the NDs took place. In the second case, I saw trouble in the making and moved to prevent the accident. I was not fast enough!

The lesson here is:

Realistic training with guns is dangerous! In relative terms, it is far less dangerous than driving to the range on a public road, but risk can never be completely eliminated. It can be reduced, monitored, and managed, but risk is always present.

Even reverting to cold ranges does not eliminate risk. In fact, I believe cold ranges are actually more dangerous than hot ones, but, however you want to argue the issue, no trainer I've ever heard of, in the public or private sector, claims to run a range that is "completely safe." Anyone who does is a naive fool!

It is the mission of us trainers to "manage" risk, avoiding unnecessary and extreme risks, but accepting the fact that some risk attaches to every exercise we put students through.

Many "career-minded" in military and law-enforcement training have decided to "dumb-down" firearms training in an effort to eliminate the possibility of anyone getting hurt. That attitude is cowardly and fraudulent, and, in addition, fails on both counts:

No one receives quality training, and we still have accidents!

When accidents, and near-accidents, occur, we need to look as what we're doing, tweak as necessary, and then boldly drive on, every looking for opportunities to make training ever more realistic and relevant.

We can never forget who is working for whom!

/John

More from John Farnam
16 Nov 10

Comments on the conduct of range training, from a friend:

"At our IDPA Club we, per 'regulations,' run a cold range. Several months ago, one of our experienced participants was presenting an orientation lecture to new members.

He was showing everyone where the 'dry-fire area' was, and stated, '...
when you need to dry fire, this is the place to do it,' as he pointed to a brick wall.

He then 'demonstrated' the procedure by facing the brick wall, drawing his pistol, and firing a live round! His bullet struck the wall leaving a large divot, but producing no personal injury. However, the incident surely got everyone's attention, and forever confirmed his 'credibility!'

He had worn his pistol in from outside, and had apparently forgotten to unload it prior to entering the range area."

Comment:

Watch these experts!

Here is yet another example of a "Cold-Range Commando" who talks a great fight, but doesn't personally live it. Like so many others, he evidently assumed that guns magically unload themselves the instant one crosses the threshold onto a cold range!

Many, as in the foregoing example, who are demonstrably good at hitting targets on ranges, are still dangerously incompetent, and altogether unsafe, gun-handlers. The problem is, of course, that they are too accustomed to handling "safe" guns.

Conversely, during hot-range training exercises, I've found that clearly articulating to students the behavior that is expected of them, and then trusting them to live up to the standard, simultaneously produces better training and fewer accidents than when you, in effect, tell them that they are all idiots who can't be trusted with anything dangerous, and then proceed to treat them like children.

My students take great personal pride in living up to expectations of competency, rather than living down to expectations of stupidity. When you treat students like idiots, don't be astonished when they consistently fail to disappoint you!

Another friend puts it this way:

"Unintentionally shooting someone (including yourself) you don't want to shoot, requires a monumental failure of intellect. You have to blunder twice, coincidentally. You have to misuse the weapon, as you're simultaneously pointing it where you don't want bullets to go."

"Safe gun" is a ridiculous, and dangerous, contradiction of terms!

/John

Thanks for putting up your site.
This is MUST reading for all gun owners

While I agree that it's a must read for all gunowners, that is NOT my site. That happened to a guy who posts on Glocktalk under the name DustyJacket.

I was wondering about that.

So that's two people who think I've parked a JHP in my leg? [laugh] Chances are a park'd RIA would rust itself shut before I had an ND with one.

ETA: I've never had any kind of AD/ND/high velocity near circumcision before.

So that's two people who think I've parked a JHP in my leg? [laugh] Chances are a park'd RIA would rust itself shut before I had an ND with one.
No, I was looking at the site and given the location and age of the fellow thought that it wasn't you.

I had an AD back in the day while teaching students in the Corps. I should have gotten fired/in trouble/lost rank, but a lot of little factors saved my butt. I was teaching Marines at the CQB school down in VA. We were practical application sessions after a class and I was working with my students on pistol drills going from standing to kneeling. This was supposed to be dry fire time. All instructors wore condition one pistols everyday when we were down range with students, so wearing and using it daily was second nature to me. Instructors fired/demo'd many rounds of pistol and sub-gun each day. But before giving this dry fire demo, I should have unloaded and showed clear. I know that,,, I did not do that.

My pistol was pointed in a safe direction and after the round fired -- it startled me, but I just played it off. I've always been quick on my feet and I instantly thought the best thing to do was to not lose bearing and just continue to march. [hmmm] It wasn't like this range complex was dead quiet; there was other people using other cells on the same range complex. And somehow my students kept quiet. My students definitely could have hung me out to dry if they wanted to. I saw an instructor relieved of duty for this in the past, so I got very lucky in many way. It happens, and I messed up big time, but at least my weapon was pointed in a safe direction.

Hell, it'd probably rust itself OPEN with the slide locked back. [rofl]

-Mike

One of the big reasons I only shoot on my own land these days is the people at the ranges. We have had many shoots where people have no ( or seem to not have any ) concept of safety everything form muzzle sweeping to shooting at non targets. Of coursed the only two times I have actually seen injuries where both from the same thing. Laser bore sight alignment tools. I personally watched one go boom the second I heard and turned to see the result. The first case a piece of the tool ended up stuck in the guys forehead. In the second case a piece of the barrel sheared off and impaled the guy next to him in the leg though it was only a inch or so long. I will NEVER understand that one. How do you forget you have a object in the end of your barrel?

Back
Top Bottom