Installing/Changing AR-15 Pistol Grip

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I ordered a complete lower (minus stock) on the second AR-15 lower receiver group purchase. However, I have a different style pistol grip which I want to install on it. Do you have to remove the trigger group to do this or can it be done with the trigger group in place?

Thanks in advance for any help.

there is a screw up inside the grip. You just undo the screw, take the grip off, don't lose the selector spring, put the selector spring in the new grip, slide it on while lining up the selector spring and making sure it doesn't bind, and screw in the new grip. simple.

Oh, and when you pull the old grip off, you might want to cover the pin for the selector with your finger so it doesn't fall out.

Just so you know, I did it and I had no idea about any of the selector parts that needed the grip to stay in place. Basically, the whole mechanism fell apart and I had to put it back together. I figured it out, though, and it didn't take long, and I'm not that smart... so I'm sure you can do it.

Use a small piece of tape to secure the screw to the screwdriver... it makes it easier to poke the screw up through the grip and into the hole and it keeps the slot/screwdriver lined up (don't forget the lock washer).

Also, clean and lube the selector spring and detent and the hole before reinstalling. A drop or two of any good gun oil will do.

Don't over torque the grip screw, but make it tight so it engages the lock washer (that should be present).

Can anyone recommend some good reading to familiarize myself with the parts and how they fit together?

There have been instances when I've needed to be allen wrench-qualified. [wink]

My Colt pre-ban requires a screw-driver but I just looked at my Bushie and it uses an allen-wrench type fastener. I wonder what the Anvil Arms lowere receivers use?

My Colt pre-ban requires a screw-driver but I just looked at my Bushie and it uses an allen-wrench type fastener. I wonder what the Anvil Arms lowere receivers use?

The AnvilArms grips just use a flathead bolt. I replaced mine with a Tango Down Battlegrip which used an allen. I wish they had also just used a flathead, as I hate allen wrenches.

I checked out my Bushie carbine last night and some of what people are saying about the selector switch and spring is starting to make sense. I have a NIB Hogue grip and it has a small hole in the top right side of the grip which is where I suppose the selector spring goes - is that correct?

I checked out my Bushie carbine last night and some of what people are saying about the selector switch and spring is starting to make sense. I have a NIB Hogue grip and it has a small hole in the top right side of the grip which is where I suppose the selector spring goes - is that correct?

Yep.

The one thing that no one is telling you is that the pistol grip also holds the safety detent and spring in place. Be careful not to lose the spring and detent when removing the grip. Be sure when installing the new grip that the safety detent is in with the pointy end in first and you do not crimp the spring in the grip when installing.

The one thing that no one is telling you is that the pistol grip also holds the safety detent and spring in place. Be careful not to lose the spring and detent when removing the grip. Be sure when installing the new grip that the safety detent is in with the pointy end in first and you do not crimp the spring in the grip when installing.

John, thanks for the tip.

I told him that in my first post [frown]

[smile]

I told him that in my first post [frown]

[smile]

I thought that I had seen that somewhere before but could not remember where.

But, no problem. Sometimes I have to be told something three or four times before I truly understand. [smile]

It's also spelled out in the link that I posted.

PISTOL GRIP ASSEMBLY
PARTS: Selector detent, selector detent spring, pistol grip, pistol grip screw, lock washer
TOOLS: Allen key or flat-blade screwdriver (depends on your screw type)

Install detent, pointed end towards the selector, and the spring into the receiver from the bottom.
Carefully compress the spring with the grip and make sure spring fits into hole in grip.
Check the function of the selector with the grip held in place; if too tight (unable to rotate) you may need to either cut the spring, or clean out the hole in the grip.
Once feel is acceptable, secure the grip in place with the screw and lock washer.
9.gif

It's also spelled out in the link that I posted.

That part of the thread you referenced put it all together for me. In fact, I was so impressed with it that I registered on the forum. Pictures or hands on instruction works best for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom