• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interest to join Central MA police force

Iv been thinking about joining the police force for the past year and a half.
I have no military training or any similar training at all.
Closest I have been into is 4 ride along shifts I went with some friends who are Worcester PD officers.
MA runs the police exam every two years. The 2015 was in April and there is no date on the 2017 yet. I emailed them asking and the response was keep monitoring the website. The website seems to not be update accurately or often but it is what it is.
I have no education that can be considered relevant.
I have run in issues with the law before (all motor vehicle related) including some criminal charges that were dropped.
It seems like with the exception of MA the rest of the country is in high demand for police force. Not sure why.
But in general I'm here to discuss thoughts and maybe learn a thing or two I may not
know or havent thought about.

Take the Civil Service exam...see how you score. If you score high you'll get an interview ,be honest about you past. It will come up in your background checks. You said charges were dropped? no convictions would be best!
Then apply to the various college campus police and/or county sheriffs departments. get some experience in law enforcement that way.

Iv been thinking about joining the police force for the past year and a half.
I have no military training or any similar training at all.
Closest I have been into is 4 ride along shifts I went with some friends who are Worcester PD officers.
MA runs the police exam every two years. The 2015 was in April and there is no date on the 2017 yet. I emailed them asking and the response was keep monitoring the website. The website seems to not be update accurately or often but it is what it is.
I have no education that can be considered relevant.
I have run in issues with the law before (all motor vehicle related) including some criminal charges that were dropped.
It seems like with the exception of MA the rest of the country is in high demand for police force. Not sure why.
But in general I'm here to discuss thoughts and maybe learn a thing or two I may not
know or havent thought about.

Just observational info(I'm not LE) but as far as reasons why it's a very hard job to get in MA but not elsewhere... the pay seems to be better in MA, plus there is a lot to be made in detail work that other states don't get.

Prison guard is a way to get your foot in the door and it's not impossible to get in.

I do have a friend that simply took the CS exam and did well enough, then waited, he got in the troopers that way a few years ago without any prior LE experience. He was in a good situation though where he could just wait until they called him. (self employed)

Last edited:
From what reasearch I've done, the gravy train is much better in MA with the tradeoff being it's much harder to board it. LE in a lot of other states are getting trash grade salaries. (some of them the salary is so low it makes me wonder why people even fill the jobs... long term job security, I'd guess. )

-Mike

Appreciate the responses guys.
According to indeed and some other sites a WPD/MA state police (not interested in that) starts around 60k. In my case that would be a pay cut but I'm not bother by that at all.

The reason is compensation.

In much of the US, police officer is a modestly, and even underpaid, profession. In MA, it's somewhat more lucrative. For example, a recent article about the Framingham PD mentioned four police officers on leave and their recent salaries (including details) of $142K, $131K, $149K and $153K. Add to that a generous pension and lifetime medical.

Yes, the details are extra work - but other states don't have a system of "hire our officers for $40+/hour to watch your hole or we will shut down construction" policy that MA does. The availability of this lucrative extra work is a benefit contributing to the attractiveness of the job.

MA effectively pays "above market" for police, market being defined as the intersection of supply and demand curves, so the end result is that police jobs are very hard to get. The positive is that police forces can be very selective about the quality of officer added to the ranks. States that are in "constantly recruiting" mode pay closer to market and as a result don't have a metric shitload of people trying for every opening. The extra pay, and low turnover/high selectivity, may be why we don't seem to have the extent of police abuse in MA we read about in other states. We may be getting our money's worth in quality.

Similarly, toll collector jobs are probably easier to get in states that pay market, rather than political union rates, for the positions.

Last edited:
The reason is compensation.

In much of the US, police officer is a modestly, and even underpaid, profession. In MA, it's somewhat more lucrative. For example, a recent article about the Framingham PD mentioned four police officers on leave and their recent salaries (including details) of $142K, $131K, $149K and $153K. Add to that a generous pension and lifetime medical.

Yes, the details are extra work - but other states don't have a system of "hire our officers for $40+/hour to watch your hole or we will shut down construction" policy that MA does. The availability of this lucrative extra work is a benefit contributing to the attractiveness of the job.

MA effectively pays "above market" for police, market being defined as the intersection of supply and demand curves, so the end result is that police jobs are very hard to get. The positive is that police forces can be very selective about the quality of officer added to the ranks. States that are in "constantly recruiting" mode pay closer to market and as a result don't have a metric shitload of people trying for every opening. The extra pay, and low turnover/high selectivity, may be why we don't seem to have the extent of police abuse in MA we read about in other states. We may be getting our money's worth in quality.

Similarly, toll collector jobs are probably easier to get in states that pay market, rather than political union rates, for the positions.

Hawaii likewise pays its cops (and firefighters) far above market rates, so competition is fierce. The fire department will commonly have hundreds of applicants for a couple of open spots.

Your not going to get a job with zero experience. There are some thing that are easier to do that others. I was a veteran with a college degree, and EMT, dispatcher and a unpaid volunteer for many years before landing a job. Don't just look at the civil service exam. there are many departments that are non civil service that test often.

Good luck.

Not being a VET and having no connections already in the Department puts you at a severe disadvantge.

Having several family members and many more friends that are police officers. At least for civil services city's and towns you have 3 ways to get in.

A, Veteran or military status
B, College degree
C already have Leo experience like corrections or aux police.

From talking with them it seems that regardless of score in my city veteran status puts you on the top of the list. (3 friends took the same test friend 1 scored a 98 friend 2 score a 91 and friend 3 scored a 89. Friend 2 & 3 were hired on the first round. friend 1 who had a degree and was a part time officer in another town was hired in the second round.

I believe civil service in 2N+1. If there are 3 openeings, the department is given the top 7 scorers to pick from (2*3+1).

looking into the same thing this coming year...with 5 years in the Marine Corps Reserves, I probably have a slight edge, but I think it's only 1 point having not had a deployment.

i'll settle for CO for a few years until i can ride the gravy train.

and before all the heavy hitter cop haters out there start using me as a whipping post, i'd like to think that I could BE the change I would like to see in law enforcement and maybe make a difference in the way some of you guys feel about the position as a whole. i'm about as reasonable as they come, and never had any reason to think i'm better than anyone or above the law as it is written...so i think i'd actually be a-o-k with some of you guys.

in closing...join the reserves...or the national guard. it's a rewarding experience...regardless of how much it sucks the shit out of a sick goats ass from time to time...you'll meet life-long friends and experience things/go places you would never have the opportunity otherwise.

just my $.02

looking into the same thing this coming year...with 5 years in the Marine Corps Reserves, I probably have a slight edge, but I think it's only 1 point having not had a deployment.

i'll settle for CO for a few years until i can ride the gravy train.

and before all the heavy hitter cop haters out there start using me as a whipping post, i'd like to think that I could BE the change I would like to see in law enforcement and maybe make a difference in the way some of you guys feel about the position as a whole. i'm about as reasonable as they come, and never had any reason to think i'm better than anyone or above the law as it is written...so i think i'd actually be a-o-k with some of you guys.

in closing...join the reserves...or the national guard. it's a rewarding experience...regardless of how much it sucks the shit out of a sick goats ass from time to time...you'll meet life-long friends and experience things/go places you would never have the opportunity otherwise.

just my $.02

Agree. Join the reserves. But I would say this about law enforcement. It's nights weekends and holidays. I was offered a job as a cop in a major city-35k pay cut. And with cameras everywhere it's getting worse. Shoot someone and it's justified your career is over. I would say to anyone thinking of joining take a hard look at it. It's not all glory and glamor. It's a lot of bs and stress. I am not knocking the profession or those that do it. But if I had to do it over again I would be an electrician or a trauma nurse. Both of these skills the military will give you.

These are my two cents. I guess almost getting turned into a red stain overseas a few times made me realize life is short. I work for the Feds right now and it's a good gig. Shit they even pay my commuting costs. I don't make overtime but I am home every night and weekend. But it's all what you want.

You don't just "join" you have to be selected, and hired. There are alot of steps in between, and alot of competition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just my opinion but look into the reserve academy and try to find work as a part timer. While doing that take all the civil service tests you can, police, department of corrections and sheriffs office even fire if your interested. Best of Luck!

Reach out to your local town/ non-civil service agencies. See if you can get a local chief to sponsor you for the reserve/ intermittent academy. You will have to front the cost and there is no guarantee of work - however it will make you eligible to work as a reserve/ Auxillary/ special. Have a cover letter and resume ready to go and have your friends on Worcester P.D. write you a letter of recommendation, both for the sponsorship of reserve academy consideration and a separate one for employment. Take civil service as well as any other department exam offering open examinations. Once you have reserve/ intermittent, pursue work as an Auxillary, Reserve or Special. Also consider pursuing EMT or even the possibility of enlisting (if you're so inclined).

Also - be 100% honest about all motor vehicle and criminal history. I know guys who have gotten on with criminal charges, including OUI. But if your get caught lying, you're credibility is toast. That, above all things, will ruin any chance you have. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

details are extra work - but other states don't have a system of "hire our officers for $40+/hour to watch your hole or we will shut down construction" policy that MA does. The availability of this lucrative extra work is a benefit contributing to the attractiveness of the job.
FYI The detail rate just went up to $50 per hour last month.

All good advice....my 2 cents take the civil circus exam coming up. Depending on city/town of residence you might have a shot if you score high enough. Pay the $150 and get your name on all 3 lists as well, MSP is currently sending out cards for the next RTT and are having problems getting people. It is a good time to try and get on with the current climate towards policing, a lot of people don't want this job right now.

Look to self sponsor through an academy and if it is possible go to a MPTC/Full time academy there are some coming up look around on mass.gov and you will find a list. You will be able to get on a college department if you have an academy or you can look at non-civil service departments. Having a full time academy under your belt is a HUGE you will be much more appealing.

If self sponsoring is not an option and you don't score well on the civil service, look out of of state.

Definitely try to get into LE! It's the most diverse field in the world. White people hate you, black people hate you, men and women hate you. Also man/woman hybrids hate you. Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and Anarchists also all agree. Hell, even the Green party hates you, and they ****ing love everyone. You suck.

LE is the biggest tent in the world! Come on in!

I just went through the process myself. Took the Apr. 2015 test; I start the academy in a few days (it's a long process). I'm a white guy, NonVet with zero prior experience.... the bottom of the barrel basically. My advice would be to study for the test. They make test prep books. It's not a hard test you just need to pay attention to the wording of the questions so get the book and get use to the types of questions they ask.. Their is a portion of the test where they ask you questions such as: how many times did you make honor roll in high school? How often to you volunteer in the community? Etc.. it's a multiple choice test. There is only one right answer. Answer the questions correctly. I got a 97 by the way. The detective that did my background investigation told me that they aren't getting the number of applicants they did a few years ago. So it's not a terrible time to be at the bottom of the barrel. Also, be honest with them. They will find out anyway and lying shows a flaw in caricature that is way worse then that teenage indiscretion. Good luck

Take the exam. A friend of mine started the academy in Springfield about a month ago. He has no prior professional experience. Seems that towns/cities are starving for fresh officers. This is how he got in, a mass hire. Good luck.

Part-Time academy is a great way to start as others have mentioned. I got lucky with no experience or training, landed a part time job and once I got my foot in the door it wasn't too difficult from there. Take the civil service exam but also look at local non civil service agencies. A lot of them have private exams for a few towns or just require an application. Most agencies say they require the full-time academy, but from what I've seen they're just aiming high. All the agencies around me have had far fewer applicants so throw some applications out even if you don't meet the requirements, you may get lucky.

It seems far less competitive to get a job these days as well. When I was taking the civil service exam there were hundreds on the list. We've hired 7 and just posted 2 more jobs in the last 2 years and our list has less than 40 people on it now. Of those 7, there are 2 veterans, 2 dispatchers, and the rest had zero experience. For the newest kid, this is the first job he has ever had and started the academy the week after graduating college. Bottom line is put yourself out there as much as you can, be willing to relocate until someone trains you, and be selective about where you want to work once you get the certification and some time on.

Back
Top Bottom