• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introduced a high school student to rife arms

I'll chime in having experienced the same with my kids friends over the years. It's really rewarding to see a youngster respond to a great shooting experience for the first time knowing that that one experience will remain with them forever. Excellent selection of firearms for a first-time experience, especially with a young lady. One of the things we always ended up discussing after shooting was just how dumb the TV shooting scenes now become. They know just how difficult and impossible they are having experienced the "real thing". Good for you. And you should be proud of your son as he acquitted himself well in teaching another youngster what he knew. Teaching patience is one of the hardest things to imbue in a youngster.

Nicely done.
Even if that kid never shoots again (Hopefully she does ), she will never forget it.

I always found the same with Women students, sometimes being a little nervous to start isn't a bad thing , they pay attention more.
I always had to hide the smile when a couple would come in and hubby was all condescending towards the wife , even though he had never pulled a trigger himself , or much.
Half an hour later she's going "Gee honey, more of mine are in the black part than yours. Is that good ?"

Wacko, what a perfect way to introduce someone to the Joys of Shooting.
From start to finish, you nailed it. Your son too. My greatest thanks and admiration,
~Matt

It sounds like you've done a great job so far but I think the 20 would be a better choice than the 410. While the 410 kicks much less than the 20, it also throws much less shot and the margin for error is almost nonexistent.

It sounds like you've done a great job so far but I think the 20 would be a better choice than the 410. While the 410 kicks much less than the 20, it also throws much less shot and the margin for error is almost nonexistent.
True for the 16 yard line. My plan for her first try would be using my own slinger so she'd be right next to the clays when they launch. This young lady is tiny.......don't want to put her off to shotguns......I think even a 20 would startle her at first. A 410 is not as bad it sounds for trap IMO I average 22 from the 16 yard line with the 410. Just have to get on em quick.

If she's missing everything with a 410 I could hand her a 20 gauge but at least she'd get the feel for it with a 410 and not get scared off right away.

True for the 16 yard line. My plan for her first try would be using my own slinger so she'd be right next to the clays when they launch. This young lady is tiny.......don't want to put her off to shotguns......I think even a 20 would startle her at first. A 410 is not as bad it sounds for trap IMO I average 22 from the 16 yard line with the 410. Just have to get on em quick.

If she's missing everything with a 410 I could hand her a 20 gauge but at least she'd get the feel for it with a 410 and not get scared off right away.

You could try giving her a couple shots at a patterning board. That would also have the benefit of letting her see how shotgun shells work.

You could try giving her a couple shots at a patterning board. That would also have the benefit of letting her see how shotgun shells work.
That's the plan. I've shown a few folks how to shoot trap and I always arrive early and hit the outdoor range with a patterning board first. That gets them the knowledge of how the gun operates plus they get an idea of what a shotgun does at different distances. If a shooter has never used a shotgun before it's valuable information.

Back
Top Bottom