Is it just a pretty paper weight now? .22 Win Mag RF?

I just received a nice hand me down from an distant relative... A Savage Arms Stevens model M34, in beautiful condition. The problem is, its chambered in .22 Winchester Magnum RF (a.k.a. = .22 Winchester Special), which I had never seen or even heard of.

I know the new version of it is the .22WMR, but from what I've read its like a .357 that can take .38, a .22WMR can take .22WMF, but not the reverse

Has anybody come across this ammo?
Is it still made?

I can't seem to find out much about this gun. Is anybody familiar with this rifle?
Can I get a new barrel for it, chambered differently? or have the chambering/caliber changed?

All comments welcome!!!

Here are some pics - hope they are viewable:
savagesteven34M.jpg savagesteven34M_detail.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/ateegee/Pics 4 Posts/savagesteven34M.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/ateegee/Pics 4 Posts/savagesteven34M_detail.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they're one and the same, but don't take my word for it. It was made in Westfield, not Chicopee, so it's not that old. Call Savage and ask.

I believe they're one and the same, but don't take my word for it. It was made in Westfield, not Chicopee, so it's not that old. Call Savage and ask.

This. I am not sure there is a difference. Call and ask. Nice handme down in a neat caliber for kids who have outgrown .22LR

22WRF is not the same as 22 MAG (or 22WMR). From teh wiki page you quoted:

The .22WMR is an enlarged, more powerful version of the much earlier .22 WRF,[2] which is not, as commonly stated, usable in any firearm chambered for any other round, including .22WMR. The case lengths are different, and "just because it fits" is not a good reason to do it.[5] It was for a time the most powerful rimfire round available,[6] and even outperformed the .22 WCF.[7]

The .22 Winchester Rimfire (commonly called the .22 WRF) is an American rimfire rifle cartridge.

Introduced in the Winchester M1890 slide rifle, it had a flat-nose slug, and is identical to the .22 Remington Special (which differed only in having a roundnosed slug).[1] It uses a flat-based, inside-lubricated bullet, which differs from the outside-lube slug of the .22 Short, Long, LR, and Extra Long rounds.[1]

When introduced, the .22WRF "was the first notable improvement in the killing power" over the .22LR,[2] and was able to kill cleaner at up to 75 yd (70 m). It is somewhat less accurate than the .22 LR[1] and is most suited to hunting small game such as rabbits or prairie dogs.[2]

A variety of Winchester, Remington, and Stevens single-shots and repeater rifles were offered from 1890 onward, but new rifles are not made for this cartridge. .22 WRF ammunition is periodically offered by commercial makers for use in the old guns.[1] It can be fired in any rifle chambered for the more powerful .22 WMR.[1]

Thanks for all the input and great suggestions. Am in the process of contacting SavageArm/Steven's historian dept., but you have to actually write them a letter with all the rifle specs, etc.(Barbarians!!)and am looking though Rimfire now...

The color of the stock is awesome. The pics don't do it justice. Its got a great weight and feel. Just bummed that climbing Mt. Everest is going to be easier then getting ammo for it.

Thx again,
–A.

Just found this on Rimfire for all you wondering about .22 WRF ammo.

.22 WRF (.22 Rem. Special)

Now if I could just find some. [crying]

So it wasn't "Win Mag RF" but "Win RF"...

It says CCI occasionally runs a lot so you can expect to possibly get some in the future. You way want to find out about possibly (re)loading WMRs with less powder. It would be functionally identical. Someone on Rimfire central would know if this is possible.

Yeah... was originally going by what was stamped on the barrel, as I knew next to nothing about it. And yes, there are articles about it still being produced, but I have not been able to determine how old those are.

But I am atleast a little hopeful now. Next step is to start hitting the local shops and asking if its something they can special order.

Yeah... was originally going by what was stamped on the barrel, as I knew next to nothing about it. And yes, there are articles about it still being produced, but I have not been able to determine how old those are.

But I am atleast a little hopeful now. Next step is to start hitting the local shops and asking if its something they can special order.

Can you post up pics of what is written on the barrel?

Forget about posting up more pics. I just checked the blue book and the 34M was chambered in WMR, not WFR.

MODEL 34M
similar to Model 34, chambered for .22 WMR cal. Mfg. 1969-73.

- - - Updated - - -

First post of this thread, 2nd pic!

I wanted more detailed pics. But forget about it. See my next post to yours.

At work, so here is the pic with the markings lighten up for readability.
savagesteven34M_detail_2.jpg

Stamped: "PROOF TESTED 22 WIN MAGNUM R. F. ONLY"

I would be psyched if it were WMR, as that stuff is everywhere. And you did say above that it was "similar to".

But thank you for looking it up.

Last edited:
At work, so here is the pic with the markings lighten up for readability.
View attachment 59161

Stamped: "PROOF TESTED 22 WIN MAGNUM R. F. ONLY"

I would be psyched if it were WMR, as that stuff is everywhere. And you did say above that it was "similar to".

But thank you for looking it up.

No, the blue book said it was similar to the 34, but chambered in .22WMR.

ETA: I am not saying it is WMR, but it sure as hell looks like it is. Take it to a gun smith to verify.

Target Sports has it listed in their online catalog. They don't have stock. It is made by cci. They have 2 different types, jacketed and lead. 9.99 and 7.49. If you are in a free state you may be able to get it there once they have stock.

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for the ammo leads. I was able to locate a few boxes on the cape, but scored big Sat. at the Marlborough Gun show, walking out with over 800 rds of the WRF!!!!

Needless to say, I had a blast Sunday at range, popping clays with open sights @ 110yrds!!!

Thanks again!
–A.

I'm a bit puzzled about this thread. The lightened-up version of the picture of the barrel that you (the OP) posted clearly says "PROOF TESTED WIN. MAGNUM R.F. ONLY." That would be one and the same as .22 WMR, that, yes, is available all over the place. The information on the rimfire page says " Winchester .22 WRF ammo will fit in a .22 Magnum chamber." So, while you found some .22WRF and can fire it in your rifle, you could just as well have bought .22WMR at Wal-Mart - one of the few calibers that's still in stock - and fired that, too. Your guns is like a .357 magnum revolver, in that it will happily chamber and fire .38 Special, as well as .357 magnum.

Or am I missing something here?

FWIW, online the cost of .22 WRF and .22 WMR is about the same.

Last edited:
I'm a bit puzzled about this thread. The lightened-up version of the picture of the barrel that you (the OP) posted clearly says "PROOF TESTED WIN. MAGNUM R.F. ONLY." That would be one and the same as .22 WMR, that, yes, is available all over the place. The information on the rimfire page says " Winchester .22 WRF ammo will fit in a .22 Magnum chamber." So, while you found some .22WRF and can fire it in your rifle, you could just as well have bought .22WMR at Wal-Mart - one of the few calibers that's still in stock - and fired that, too. Your guns is like a .357 magnum revolver, in that it will happily chamber and fire .38 Special, as well as .357 magnum.

Or am I missing something here?

FWIW, online the cost of .22 WRF and .22 WMR is about the same.

Yup, looks like .22 Mag to me.

WMR is not the same. It has a longer case and slightly larger diameter. And yes it is similar to the .357/.38 special situation, only the WRF IS equal to the .38 and WMR is equal to the .357.

The ammo is actually pretty inexpensive. I've found it about $10 - 12 a box. Although, I found some original collectable stuff for quite a bit more.

WMR is not the same. It has a longer case and slightly larger diameter. And yes it is similar to the .357/.38 special situation, only the WRF IS equal to the .38 and WMR is equal to the .357.

The ammo is actually pretty inexpensive. I've found it about $10 - 12 a box. Although, I found some original collectable stuff for quite a bit more.

"WMR is not the same" as what? Why are you adding further confusion to this? The .22 WRF, Winchester Rimfire, can be chambered and fired in any gun chambered for the .22 WMR, Winchester Magnum Rimfire. The cases are the same - neck diameter, rim diameter, and rim thickness - except that the WMR case is longer. The bullets are all .224 diameter, as for .22 LR.

I never said they were the same, I hadn't previously comment on case length, though it was implied via the 38 SPL/357 Magnum analogy.

There is new production .22WRF available, but at about the same price and poorer selection (of bullets) and poorer availability, why bother if the rifle is chambered for WMR?

From http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm:

"Today the .22 WRF is kept alive primarily as a less destructive small game load for rifles chambered for the .22 WMR cartridge. The .22 Magnum is a lengthened version of the .22 WRF and will chamber in firearms designed for the .22 WMR, much as .38 Special ammunition may be fired from .357 Magnum guns, although it will not function correctly in autoloaders."

Last edited:
WRF is available through Midsouth Shooters in their most resent catalog (2013 Master Catalog) Listed at 9.20 per 50

45 gr. jacketed hollow point

Also available at Midway, they list both Winchester and CCI

BUT, your gun is clearly marked for 22 WMR- check to see if it chambers

HOPE THIS HELPS

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Last edited:
Hidden Valley Traditions (603)-673-9754

At the Concord show today I saw that "Hidden Valley Traditions" had several boxes of new production 22WRF on their table. Looked like the same product and price as here.

They're based in Brookline, NH and specialize in paper targets, unique ammo, and brass. (603) 673-9754

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom