• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it sacreligous?

To alter a pre-war 1911. Looking at aquiring one but may want to upgrade it.
small things like sights which will require milling and I can't stand spur hammers. I would definitely change that out.
nitre blue small parts and an overall polish.

If it's original, I wouldn't touch it. There are plenty of 1911s you can mess with. Don't ruin a piece of history. My $. 02.

Would you be getting it as 100% pre-war? Which war? Do you know the history of the pistol? The rarity of that make and model?

If you asked this question in mil-surp forum your answers may be different.

It is yours. Unless it is a 90% collectors piece do whatever you want as long as it gets to see the light of day and gets used. Personally, I would not change anything.

My $.02, Depends on overall condition. If it is already a great condition military issued piece, I would not touch it.

If it is already moderately rough, have at it, within reason.

I ran the serial number and it came back as 1918. It's an Internet buy so I don't have too much info.
sent in a few questions but have not heard back yet.

Sounds like you could save the old parts and restore it to original if you bought another slide. Buy a slide and do your changes to the sights then when you tire of the gun turn it back original and sell the extra parts here.

I hate to send others away from NES but there are many of us that have an appreciation for these m1911's both here and at https://forums.1911forum.com/

Here, and there, are both Greg Derr and Business End Customs. You could contact them if you have time and run the ad by them. Maybe they could help you out.

This is a thread by Greg that might help your decision.

Best of luck.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/209322-Reviving-Old-Glory-1911

Reviving Old Glory 1911

This is a 1917ish 1911 GI gun which needed some TLC. It received a complete overhaul and inspection. The finish was poor, but the metal was great, no pitting at all, just a few minor scratches. The client wanted it reblued in memory of his great grandfather who originally onwed the Colt. The barrel was clean and bright. New bushings and grip screws were all the parts that were needed. The barrel crown had a ding which I took care of with the lathe. Great Memorial Day piece.

OldGlory1911gd052513-05_zpsc7ad40db.jpg

I'll assume it's a Colt. Not for nothing, but the fact that you even need to ask... Well, that just might be your brain telling you something.

Colt made fewer than 10,000 1911s in 1918. They and other manufacturers have made orders of magnitude more than 10,000 in the years since. From an investment standpoint alone, your idea makes no sense at all.

There's also the wee fact that Colts didn't have heat-treated slides until 1925, making this gun a relatively weak pistol by modern standards. Has the slide been replaced at some point? Do you even know what to look for in evaluating this gun prior to modifying it?

I suggest you think about this and do more research. It's obvious that I think this is a horrible idea, but it's not my money. I hope you can come to the right conclusion yourself.

I think I may just aquire it and visit Greg Derr for an honest opinion.

He won't steer you wrong.

Above is one that the owner asked Greg to 'redo' and I went looking for one that Greg did not 'do'. I found them over on the 1911 forum.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=491118

Memorial Day 1911

So a family brings me a pistol they found in grand dads sock drawer. They wanted me to go through it. Low and behold a great piece of WWII history. This Colt was issued to their grandfather and he carried it through the Pacific. He was a F4U Corsair mechanic with the USMC. Needless to say I treated it with the respect it deserved and gave it a gentle cleaning and inspection. I told the family who was concerned that the carvings on the slide might take away some of the value that they don't touch a thing. It's been a few years since I returned it, but I think of it every time Memorial Day or Veterans Day comes around. We are losing the "old dogs" way too fast. If only this 1911 could talk.

I love the old style beat up look if the pistol is rough I'll buy u a 1911 of ur choice to mod to crap and let me have it and keep it beat looking

In general, I don't like messing with history (and check your spelling--sorry had to.)

With the many 1911s out there previously modified ( the amount of 1911s modified for competition) out there you could probably find one with any or all of your updates or needs already done that will cost you less than buying and modifying what your looking at.

Your property, do what you want.

I have a 1911A1 Pre-War Commercial Model that was my Dad's (he bought it new.) Near mint. He used to shoot corrosive milsurp ammo. His gun, his choice.

I bought a Brazillian M1917 45 ACP revolver to use up the crap ammo, rather than the 1911. To him, it was just his .45. To me, it is his .45. Huge difference.

If you're looking for a starting point for a project, there are likely better, newer platforms than a 100-year-old gun that's had Dog-knows-how-many rounds through it.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom