Is there a Junior's program for rifle on South Shore Mass

My 8 year old son is asking me to get him involved with a junior's rifle program to shoot competitively. Is there a program on the Shouth Shore open to young shooters that he can join?

Braintree R&P has a very active Juniors program. I believe that they meet every Friday evening. Mike McCabe (very active competitive shooter) runs it.

http://www.brp.org/html/junior_s_program.html

Get in touch with Mike if you are interested. I see it posted as minimum age = 11, but I have no idea if they make exceptions for mature but "underage" children or if they have an alternative program for younger kids.

Mike will be at the club Monday evening as we have our membership meeting tomorrow night. He's a member on NES but rarely posts and I don't know what his username is.

Parents do not have to be BR&P members to have their children participate.

Old Colony in Pembroke has a very well run Junior program which meets every Saturday morning and offers comprehensive instruction for boys and girls.
I believe the cost is three dollars per week.
PM me for more info.......

I spoke with Mike McCabe tonight and learned that the 11 yo minimum is solid at BR&P's Juniors program. Mike was not aware that any other club took younger kids either, but ask around, maybe you'll luck out.

Braintree is firm on it's 11 year old requirement and even at 11-18 the individuals will be vetted to be sure they can follow safety procedure flawlessly and be strong enough to hold up the rifles. They own 8.5 lb Marlin 2000A target rifles and 11 lb FWB air rifles. Individuals cannot be constantly attended to due to the volume of kids that shoot, therefore a large degree of trust is placed on the shooters. I would suggest a pellet gun or a Chipmunk rifle if you really want to start as early as 8. If you want some tips and info on training feel free to stop by Braintree any Friday night. Look for the guy you that looks like wouldn't want to leave your child with him.
mike

I second that concerning the Chipmunk rifle. My daughter got hers on her ninth birthday and it was a perfect match for her. Very well built little rifle with good "youth friendly" peep sights.

Back
Top Bottom