• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Issues with comped Glock 34

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hello all. Reaching out for some help here. I have a Glock 34 gen 4 that I am trying to run a compensator on. Those a range toy and a gun I may use in competitions in the future. Not a carry gun. So not worried about messing with springs. I am using a Jarvis threaded barrel and the qube compensator. Not sure if it matters but I am running a Timney alpha trigger and ghost 3.5 connector. No issues with igniting primers though. Goes bang every time. I tried it with the Glock factory recoil spring and no luck. Many stovepipes and FTRB’s. So I ordered the sprinco recoil spring kit. It is a non captured system and uses a bushing. It came with a 17,15, and 13 lb springs. I reload and made some special 9mms. 124 gr berrys played over 5.0 grs of autocomp with a cci small pistol primer. Not crazy hot but hotter. I made about 90 of them and ran them the other day with the 13lb spring. They ran better but I had still had a few stovepipes and FTRB’s here and there. Better than before. I am going to give the gun a good cleaning and see if that might help. I ordered new striker springs to give that a try and see if that helps. Not super hopeful for that but saw somewhere online that someone said it can help and was cheap enough so figured why not. I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas that I should try or any tips or tricks. Thank you!!

So its chambering the next round but not going fully back into battery and having stovepipes?

Mag springs? Add any baseplates?

Ive never heard of jarvis or qube are they decent brands?

If your phone does the fancy super slowmo thing my try to record the gun going off and see if maybe the comp is getting hit by the slide when going back into battery.

Try putting the stock trigger back in as an experiment. Totally different scenario but the CMMG 22 conversion has a horrible issue with ejecting and FTRB in ARs with upgraded triggers, but run fine in stock trigger rifles. Ive seen this play out in 4 different ARs - could be the case. Just give it a shot. The comp plus the trigger could be the issue.

Qube comps dont like glerks.. play with the recoil spring weight

Had one on my glock it never cycled...cz it ran like a champ

Shoot a box of hot 124 and see if its bitchy still

If it cycles fine you just need a lighter recoil spring

@AllaSnackbah yes stove pipes and failure to return to battery. The rounds nose dive. I am gonna try a few different mags. Newer Wolff springs in the mag I was using. Has a plus 2.

@VTski4x4 I will try that. Have zero issues with this pistol without the comp on.

@Rat187 have zero issues without comp on it.

@jkelly1229 what hot 124 do you recommend? I loaded some hot ones.

@AllaSnackbah yes stove pipes and failure to return to battery. The rounds nose dive. I am gonna try a few different mags. Newer Wolff springs in the mag I was using. Has a plus 2.

@VTski4x4 I will try that. Have zero issues with this pistol without the comp on.

@Rat187 have zero issues without comp on it.

@jkelly1229 what hot 124 do you recommend? I loaded some hot ones.
I think i ran zqi honestly I forget. It ran just fine on my cz so i just left it there... not shitting on glocks just got lazy

But if you're determined to get it to run on your glock get the next 2 weights down and see what your gun likes

Try nickel plated brass, it has less friction than plain brass and should strip from the mag and feed into the chamber easier relieving the stovepipes and failures to return to battery.

Try nickel plated brass, it has less friction than plain brass and should strip from the mag and feed into the chamber easier relieving the stovepipes and failures to return to battery.
Even if it did work, the gun is still broken and who wants a glock that only runs on nickel plated brass? 🤣

Not sure how this will help the op at all other than by just trying to mask a problem.

I'm not sure I understand the objective of this exercise.

I have about a dozen glocks, they all run fine on my reloads, 124 grn XTreme Plated, 4.0 grains of TiteGroup and an OAL of 1.124). All of my other 9mm firearms cycle on this load.

I picked up a Qube compensator from a suppressor convention I worked, and put it on a threaded barrel for my G17. The gun didn't cycle correctly, same sort of problems OP is having. I screwed around with a couple of loads - and then realized that I was putting myself into a position where I would need other than my standardized load if I wanted to run the comp. That didn't seem to be smart.

So, I put it on my Ruger PCC. The PCC runs fine with it on, it *might* help mitigate the muzzle rise, not actually sure - but it *does* look neat - and my PCC runs the same loads as all of my Glocks.

For the purists - the short OAL is for the Taylor Freelance extensions - standard OAL gives them issues.

back the comp out 1 turn on the barrel and see if that does anything. Run a slower, gassy, powder or try a 115gr bullet.

It is a recoil spring problem not only is this comped the overall balance/mass has been changed. Have you tried the 15lb spring? You can also try to custom lightening the 13lb spring if the 15 dosent work.

I'm not sure I understand the objective of this exercise.

I have about a dozen glocks, they all run fine on my reloads, 124 grn XTreme Plated, 4.0 grains of TiteGroup and an OAL of 1.124). All of my other 9mm firearms cycle on this load.

I picked up a Qube compensator from a suppressor convention I worked, and put it on a threaded barrel for my G17. The gun didn't cycle correctly, same sort of problems OP is having. I screwed around with a couple of loads - and then realized that I was putting myself into a position where I would need other than my standardized load if I wanted to run the comp. That didn't seem to be smart.

So, I put it on my Ruger PCC. The PCC runs fine with it on, it *might* help mitigate the muzzle rise, not actually sure - but it *does* look neat - and my PCC runs the same loads as all of my Glocks.

For the purists - the short OAL is for the Taylor Freelance extensions - standard OAL gives them issues.
Wants vs needs?

You have 2 long time memebers telling you they tried and gave up... he accepts both our statements... but sometimes you gotta touch that hot stove yourself.

I hope he gets it working but I think just needs to try himself

@allen-1 the point if it is to see if I can get it to run well and why not. I have a different barrel for this pistol that will run any type of ammo. The gun is not broken. I have several other pistols including Glocks that all run perfect. Including with my reloads.

@50wt I will try that! What powder do you recommend?

It has a lock ring design. It is actually pretty cool.

@JDL I will give that a go!

@jkelly1229 thank you

Also op have you tried heavier loads like 147 grain? And heavy and stout like 147 defense ammo?

I'm curious so I'm spitballing

Back
Top Bottom