• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Items on Sale...and a question about Propane vs. Gas

SO, I'm just tooling around looking for some items to supplement a CERT Bag...triage marking tape, lumber/marking crayons...things of that nature.

I came across this site with this discount PDF. http://sosproducts.com/12pagerlr.pdf

Some of the things don't seem out of whack for pricing...at least for what I was looking at...

One thing that caught my eye was the Propane Generator. I wonder what the difference in running time is on a 20lbs tank vs. a 5 gallon reservoir for a standard generator. With all the swap out places around...I wonder if it would be easier to get propane to get gas? I know that after the Tropical Storm, the two gas stations by me were quickly our of Regular and Mid Grade because the two other stations 100 yards away didn't have power...so the people that would normally go to them had to come across the town line and get them from those two.

So, I wonder if having a propane generator would be cheaper for time vs. fuel and run of something that might be easier to acquire.

My recollection is that there are less BTU's in propane vs gasoline so you will use more but, propane also costs less, volume to equivalent volume. That said, the next generator I buy will be a diesel which can also run off home heating oil.

Another advantage to propane is that it doesn't go bad in storage.

There are companies that sell replacement carburetors for generators that allow them to run on gasoline, natural gas, or propane.

Personally, if possible I'd get a multi-fuel kit. There are a number of companies that sell conversion kits to make it so your gas genny can run on propane or natgas as well as gasoline. They cost about $200 for small generators, and go up from there.

For a bigger fixed installation, I'd probably go with diesel and a bigger tank. Like maybe get a 1500 gallon tank for your heating oil and use it for both your generator and heating, and then you'd be set for a while.

So, I wonder if having a propane generator would be cheaper for time vs. fuel and run of something that might be easier to acquire.

Since my power has been out 3 time in last year or so, I have been working on this same question...
Since each outage seems to last for about 48Hrs, I used that as the basis for comparison. Here's what I've Found:

Briggs & Stratton 30471 - 8KW Gasoline Engine
7 Gal Tank (Starts Full) Rated to run 9Hrs at 50% load
In 48 Hrs - Total gas used in about 37.5 Gal (Rounding) which means 5 Fill-ups
Gasoline Costs= $137 (@ $3.65/Gal w/rounding)

Generac 5882 - 8KW Propane/Nat Gas Engine
20Lb tank (Starts Full) rated to run a bit more than 5 hrs
In 48 Hrs - 9.4 tanks of Propane which means 9 new tanks (No spares)
Propane costs = $200.00 ($20 per 20# bottle)

The Generac connected to Nat Gas line in my house:
Rated @ 77 cu-ft / Hr = nearly 3700 cu ft (w/ No "Fill-ups")
Gas is billed in 'Therms' which are 100 cu-ft so usage is 37 Therms
Total cost of NG = $46.21 (@ my NStar rate of $ 1.249/Therm)

Plus No Fill-ups, No hassles finding open Gas Station, No Trips to trade in/re-fill propane bottles
and conversion to propane as realistic back-up if need (conversion from Gas to propane much more difficult)

The purchase costs for both generators is about the same with the portable Briggs & Stratton a bit less expensive than the permanently installed Generac. The install costs for the Generac in either LP or NG is more, and the NG adds cost for the plumber to run the NG gas line.
In the end I think NG Install is better wil lpay for itself and offers better fuel availability options ... but YMMV
Cheers

Another advantage to propane is that it doesn't go bad in storage.

There are companies that sell replacement carburetors for generators that allow them to run on gasoline, natural gas, or propane.

Many of these generators will not run on the small, 20Lb tanks, especially in cooler weather. You need a larger tank to maintain the required vaporization rate. In other words, you need a tank with more surface area.

A 20 lb propane tank holds about 4 gallons and yes, propane produces less energy than gasoline when burned. However, as has been mentioned, it stores much better than gasoline. You will have to decide which makes more sense for you.

Many of these generators will not run on the small, 20Lb tanks, especially in cooler weather. You need a larger tank to maintain the required vaporization rate. In other words, you need a tank with more surface area.

What you say is correct, I've worked at a propane distribution plant for 6 years and have worked with Propane powered generators. Even with a moderate sized generator a 20# tank will turn into an ice block in less then an hour. You are going to want at least a 50# tank but at that point you should just get a 100# tank because the prices are about the same. Although keep in mind that a 100# tank will weigh anywhere from 155-185 pounds full. While a 50# tank will weigh about 95-110 pounds full. So make sure you are able to keep the tank close to where it is needed. I've loaded thousands of full 100# tanks on trucks before I'll tell you the average person would not be able to pick up the tank by them self.

I have a tri-fuel 9K generator that is hard piped for natural gas. It loses some output on natural gas (8K) but there are no issues trying to get gas during outages. Also no large volume storage issues either.

My generator was purchased from Northern 18 years ago and the Briggs & Stratton 16 HP Vanguard V-Twin runs great still with MOBIL 1, always. During 5 days of running, oil level has to be monitored as on anything running hard for long periods.

This is sort of a propane question. We have a natural gas stove at home. Would we need additional venting if we ran a propane camping stove on top of it, or would it be OK as is? Sort of moot as we've never lost the gas in the time we've lived here.

My recollection is that there are less BTU's in propane vs gasoline so you will use more but, propane also costs less, volume to equivalent volume. That said, the next generator I buy will be a diesel which can also run off home heating oil.

I've made this comment in other threads. Make sure whatever diesel generator you buy will actually run on #2. Ultra low sulphur diesel fuel is required in all truck and auto engines since model year 2007. I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if the mandate didn't include industrial engines.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom