• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

its a sad day...

so...i spent close to 3 years collecting milsurps...and since i got my Class A...i havent bought a single milsurp[thinking]

ive been tempted...but just when im about to buy one...an evil black rifle sneaks up and takes its place

i had big plans for my milsurp collection...i have all cherry firearms from ww1 to the vietnam war

recently...ive been thinking of selling the lot of them...probably around $15-18k worth of milsurps

my interests have taken another direction...instead of saving for all the evil black rifles i want i could buy them all in one day if i sold my milsurps

i love them for the history...but ive never shot them...maybe 2 or 3...but thats it...i know if i sell them ill regret it

someone talk me out of selling them[crying]

Think of them as an investment, the longer you hold out the more they'll be worth. Also remember they are like the forefathers to your EBR's, you wouldn't sell you parents to get another brother would you.

Let me put it to you this way...If you REALLY wanted to sell them, you wouldn't have bothered to post this. You obviously don't want to sell them, but really want another AR...So sell a pistol or something if you must, buy an AR, and keep the milsurps.

Don't do it... sell one of your kidneys or donate blood if you have to.

I sold a good portion of my firearms collection about 20 years ago and totally regret it... especially now that more than a few of them would be difficult and/or expensive to replace. Mostly pre-ban rifles and unapproved MA handguns. [sad]

Also remember they are like the forefathers to your EBR's, you wouldn't sell you parents to get another brother would you.

Go ahead! Sell your parents! Milsurps4Me and I will give them a good home. We'll keep them nice and dry, feed them quality food, and take them for a visit to the range on a regular basis....

Really, it's up to you. If they no longer give you any sense of pleasure, and are just gathering dust - find something else you like better! Just remember your pals here when that time comes.

Remember, though - you can probably replace them in the future, but not at the low price you bought them at. Many a collector has kicked himself for letting go of a milsurp that has stayed in high demand over the years - appreciated considerably in value.

Ken

I went the other way. Sold a few of the blacks to finance mil surps and some more reloading gear. If the mil surps are not your thing and you dont see yourself using and enjoying them then I say sell them and get what you want. Will they be worth more in the future yes but more than likely so will what you are buying.

I went the other way. Sold a few of the blacks to finance mil surps and some more reloading gear. If the mil surps are not your thing and you dont see yourself using and enjoying them then I say sell them and get what you want. Will they be worth more in the future yes but more than likely so will what you are buying.

Ditto to that, pretty much did the same.

I agree with Ken, we'll take them.[smile]

I also think you may regert it later letting them go. Unless you've got a few beaters or ones you just don't care for due to a particular reason, or if you've recently gotten some of the same model/type that are in better condition, chances are you could regret selling them off.

.223, .308, and other modern calibers will be around long after we're gone from this planet and cost more $$$ every day.
Cheap 7.62x54, 8mm Mauser, 7.5x55 Swiss are already drying up because mass production isn't needed anymore and surplus won't last forever, but can be cheaply shot for at least a few more decades.

The only thing I've ever regretted selling enough to buy again was a 10/22.

And maybe my AR. Just a little, but not enough to actually buy another one yet.

The WW2 rifles are making other people happy rather than sitting in my safe not doing much of anything.

Just keep us in mind first if you decide to thin the collection :)

And I don't blame you I had huge expectations and have gotten 2. Same exact situation something newer and more expensive cuts into the purchase of milsurp.

Sell them and buy some modern stuff... History is nice and all but newer guns are just so much better!!! Sell the lot of them and buy some cool black rifles. Get one of these for sure:

www.jprifles.com

There are probably a couple of rifles that would really suck to sell. These are
the ones that you just either love to shoot or just love to look at and hold close
to you. Keep those and sell the rest. The ones that remain will keep you
company and will love you so much that you won't miss the rest that much. [smile]

I still miss my Model 28 but if I had a Model 27 it wouldn't suck so much.

TBP

trust me...if im gonna sell i know i wouldnt have to go further than the classifieds here...i LOVE the history of these guns...some of them i have original ww2 gear to go with the rifle

the stuff is just currently all sitting in my safe gathering dust...i know ill never be able to replace them

just to give you an idea...

2 Russian SKS (1 laminate 1 not)
3 Yugo 59/66 SKS' (2 are unissued consecutive serial numbered with log books and everything)
Chinese paratrooper SKS
Chinese type 56 SKS
Albanian SKS
Mosin 91/30
Finn m39 (SKYY marking wartime stock)
Yugo m48
Geweher 1898
Enfield Jungle Carbine
Enfield no.4 mk.2
Savage US Prop Enfield no.4 mk.1
Enfield P-14 (with correct ww1 stock)
Mas 36
Mas 36/51
Mas 49/56
2 K31's (1 birch 1 walnut with soldiers tag)
Steyr 1895/30 carbine
2 FR-8's
Mossberg US Prop 44 training rifle
Smith Corona 1903a3
Carcano 91 cavalry carbine
Japanese type 99 arisaka with mum

these rifles are like my kids (im only 22 so no i dont really knwo what it feels like to have kids) and i'd hate to let them go...but right now theyre only taking up space...i know i shouldnt sell them...but...i dunno

ETA...NONE of these rifles are beaters...they are all in pristine condition...i paid top dollar for them becuase i wanted the most excellent examples of these weapons i could find

Last edited:
OK, now... stop teasing. That's like waving a slab of steak in front of some hungry dogs.

If you're serious about letting some of these go, take a look at what you paid and what the market prices are right now, and list them for what you think is reasonable.

2 Russian SKS (1 laminate 1 not)
3 Yugo 59/66 SKS' (2 are unissued consecutive serial numbered with log books and everything)
Chinese paratrooper SKS
Chinese type 56 SKS
Albanian SKS

I'll take the 2 Russians, the 2 consecutive Yugos, the Chinese paratrooper, and possibly the other Chinese type 56 depending on arsenal code.[smile]

well like i said everytime i think of picking up a garand or an m1 carbine i look over across the store and see an EBR and immediately run to it...i cant eveb begin to tell you how many deals ive passed up on a garand because an ak or ar took its place

oh and ps...the french rifles...although barely used...are extremely nice guns...dare i say i may like it better than my sks's

oh and ps...the french rifles...although barely used...are extremely nice guns...dare i say i may like it better than my sks's

I'd love to get my hands on a nice 49/56 still in the arsenal wrapper and in original 7.5 chambering. I've heard these are some of the most underated semi autos out there.

Sounds like you like buying them more than you like having or shooting them.

If that's your bag, selling them will give you enough cash to do the buying all over again with stuff you're more interested in now.

Of course the french rifles are barely used, until you owned them they had never been fired and only dropped once.

I'd love to get my hands on a nice 49/56 still in the arsenal wrapper and in original 7.5 chambering. I've heard these are some of the most underated semi autos out there.

my 3 arent in the arsenal wrapper...but as close to new/perfect as youre going to get...oh yeah...and still in the 7.5 chambering

Sounds like you like buying them more than you like having or shooting them.

when i bought them i bought the most pristine examples i could find...so that not only could they be great shooters but also almost museum quality collectibles

Back
Top Bottom