• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just bought a house in NH

I'm a MA resident. I have my ltc in MA and just bought a house in NH. I would like to have a safe in my NH house with pistols and rifles that are evil in MA.

My legal address will be MA still.

If i get a non resident permit, what does that change? i travel while carrying to NH all the time and and was told i didnt need a permit, so whats the point?

Can i walk into a NH gun shop and walk out with a firearm if im not transporting it to MA?

I'm a MA resident. I have my ltc in MA and just bought a house in NH. I would like to have a safe in my NH house with pistols and rifles that are evil in MA.
My legal address will be MA still. If i get a non resident permit, what does that change? i travel while carrying to NH all the time and and was told i didnt need a permit, so whats the point?
Can i walk into a NH gun shop and walk out with a firearm if im not transporting it to MA?
Getting your non-resident NH pistol/revolver license won't change your difficulty in buying from an FFL in NH when all your ID says Mass.
What town?
Unlike MA, doesn't matter what town.
Until you switch over your driver's license (state ID), I don't know of any town which will issue a resident pistol/revolver license to a part-time resident.

NH FFL’s will sell to me as a MA resident?
They can, if you supply proof of NH residency. Many will not take the risk of selling when you can't provide a DL nor car/voter registration documents.

See for example example https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download
ATF said:
ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179.

Last edited:
Getting your non-resident NH pistol/revolver license won't change your difficulty in buying from an FFL in NH when all your ID says Mass.

Unlike MA, doesn't matter what town.
Until you switch over your driver's license (state ID), I don't know of any town which will issue a resident pistol/revolver license to a part-time resident.
I don’t plan on switching my residency
They can, if you supply proof of NH residency. Many will not take the risk.
i see. So I could walk in with a mortgage and utility statement to prove that I own in nh but there’s still no sure way?

What don’t you understand?
I live in ma
I have a second home in nh
I want to buy guns that are illegal in ma but legal in nh and keep them there
My legal residence will be ma
Bring a real estate tax bill to shop. That makes you a resident as far as BATF is concerned.

If i get a non resident permit, what does that change? i travel while carrying to NH all the time and and was told i didnt need a permit, so whats the point?

There are a lot of shops in New Hampshire that will take your tax paperwork copy and you can work the system as a dually and get whatever you want.....

This phrase does not mean anything relative to purchasing guns. For tax purposes you might be a MA resident. For voting you might be a MA resident. For the purchase of guns all that matters is the ATF definition of residency.

"ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State."

"Held further, the intention of making a home in a State must be demonstrated to a Federal firearms licensee by presenting valid identification documents. Such documents include, but are not limited to, driver’s licenses, voter registration, tax records, or vehicle registration."

The concept of legal address will always be one of context. In this context, it does not mean what you think it does.

As others said, have your tax and utility bills mailed only to your NH address. Then find a dealer that isn't a Fudd. You don't need any kind of NH permit.

So he should have a po box with auto forwarding to ma?

He should move to NH full time and make the hellish commute like so many of us did (I did this for two years!)

Btw.....you should still vote here, unless you're woke. The threshold to proof of residence for voting is much lower.

Last edited:
How about getting a non driver state id?

Doesn't work...

"An applicant must be a New Hampshire resident who is at least 12 years of age and who does not currently have a valid driver license."

IOW, they don't issue these to people who already have a DL somewhere.

It's stupid/laborious anyways considering any store that isn't a pant shitter outfit will take a tax bill as long as the guy's property is on it, it's some kind of a dwelling, and has his name on it.

Check with the shop but it's not unusual for shops to sell to those with a second home in NH. They will usually take your MA DL as the required picture ID, and then a gov document for proof of residency. The gov doc is key, your electric bill is not gov, but your water bill may be. Tax bills work too.

Call the shop and ask, this isn't all that unusual.

Back
Top Bottom