Kahr 9 MM,

I own a PM9, carry it daily (either in a pocket or IWB appendix).

Pros: Small size, very manageable recoil, very accurate.

Cons: Magazines don't fall freely when released. Holstered magazines tend to wiggle that 1st round out of place over time (making jams likely on reload). Practice and routine were my acceptable solutions.

It's my pocket carry, a PM9 free state. Very long, smooth trigger pull. Remarkably light recoil, and quite accurate for the size.

It's a keeper IMHO.

I'm in metrowest if you're ever out this way. Glad to host you at our club if you're out this way.

Best

Rich

Cons: Magazines don't fall freely when released. Holstered magazines tend to wiggle that 1st round out of place over time (making jams likely on reload). Practice and routine were my acceptable solutions.

I had a problem with jamming until i got a new mag. Ended up my follower was cracked enough to cause problems but not enough to fall apart. Seen it on a few PM9s. Also I have some mags that fall freely and some that catch (from what seems to be on purpose). I think the mags in general have a history.

I had a problem with jamming until i got a new mag. Ended up my follower was cracked enough to cause problems but not enough to fall apart. Seen it on a few PM9s. Also I have some mags that fall freely and some that catch (from what seems to be on purpose). I think the mags in general have a history.

I wish mine had cracked followers. All 4 of my mags don't fall free and have the wiggle jam problem. At least they're consistent.

Wish there were a next gen magazine that fixed at least the wiggle jam problem.

I've practiced one hand reloads, pulling the mag out with my teeth. Good times.

I can't imagine the recoil is that bad being 9mm

It certainly isn't painful in any way, but recoil is noticeably more than a heavier gun with a larger grip, like a Kahr K9 or Glock 19. The PM9 isn't a range gun by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a fine pocket gun.

It certainly isn't painful in any way, but recoil is noticeably more than a heavier gun with a larger grip, like a Kahr K9 or Glock 19. The PM9 isn't a range gun by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a fine pocket gun.

I second this emotion. I moved over to carrying the PM-9 from my G26. Took some practice, but I am pretty accurate with it at this point.

Its a nice gun. Great for summer carry as warmer days approach.

I have the MA complaint version. It's a go-to on summer carry. With practice, you can get fairly accurate with it (Thanks Cloverleaf)

It's definitely got more felt recoil than a G19, which is my other-3-season carry gun.

If you're out this way, shoot me a PM, you can run some 9 through it.

the kahr CM9/PM9 is the only micro 9mm that has impressed me.
the firing mechanism and build quality of the kahr is truly in it's own class, especially when one considers the price of the CM/CW line.

the recoil of the PM9/CM9 is as best as a tiny gun could possibly be. some complain about the heavy dual stage recoil spring, but that's half of how it keeps the recoil down and extends frame life.

to me the "MA-model" w thumb safety is a no go. the whole point of the kahr design is a smooth long DA trigger with long reset, which negates the purpose of thumb safety. YMMV.

to me the "MA-model" w thumb safety is a no go. the whole point of the kahr design is a smooth long DA trigger with long reset, which negates the purpose of thumb safety. YMMV.
For MA the point of the thumb safety is to not need a 10# trigger pull. It needs to be installed to be sold here, but it doesn't need to be used. [wink]

For MA the point of the thumb safety is to not need a 10# trigger pull. It needs to be installed to be sold here, but it doesn't need to be used. [wink]

It's still ghey. It also ends up being overpriced, as well. It is literally cheaper to buy a free state PM9 vs the MA one, even at a heavy discounter like Four Seasons.

-Mike

"the list" reads "Kahr Arms PM9 9mm". nowhere does it say "thumb safety" or specify such model.

the thumb safety model is for FFL's who drink the kool aid. they have the right to drink kool aid. i have the right to shop elsewhere.

Don't forget to consider the P9.

Its the same as the PM9 with a bit more grip and slide length. Which translates into one extra round and a much nicer shooting gun.

I never understood why everyone only talks about the PM9. Unless you pocket carry it, its vastly inferior to the P9.

Don

p.s. I owned and carried Kahrs for close to 20 years. Starting with the K9, then moving onto the K9 Elite, K9 Wilson Combat, P9, P9 Covert, PM9, then back to the P9 when I realized the PM9 was inferior to it.

I've since sold my last 9mm Kahr and replaced it with a G43. I've been shooting Glocks competitively since 1998 and like the idea of my carry gun having the same short, distinct reset as my G34.

I still own the Kahr P380. I think its the best combination of small size and shootability out there. The G42 shoots better but is too large to be an "always" gun.

I never understood why everyone only talks about the PM9. Unless you pocket carry it, its vastly inferior to the P9.

I still own the Kahr P380. I think its the best combination of small size and shootability out there. The G42 shoots better but is too large to be an "always" gun.

The PM9 isn't just a pocket gun, it really depends on your body type/size and the clothing you wear. I personally find the PM9 to be way too big for pocket carry, but I'm not a large guy and I don't wear loose clothing. I carry mine appendix and can carry it all day long in comfort. I find the P9 to be too large for appendix carry.

I'd love to own a p380 and its on my list for future purchase, but too many other things eating my budget at the moment.

The PM9 isn't just a pocket gun

It is for me. If I'm going to carry a gun in a belt holster, I carry a bigger gun than my PM9.

I personally find the PM9 to be way too big for pocket carry, but I'm not a large guy and I don't wear loose clothing.

I pocket carry mine all the time. I'm not a big guy - 5' 9", 180 lbs. The issue isn't your size; it's your skinny jeans [wink]

The issue isn't your size; it's your skinny jeans [wink]
Yeah, my wife refuses to let me wear "Dad" jeans. She's actually a huge pain in the ass about it, so I stopped trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
How stiff is the slide rack on a PM9?

I have been thinking about taking my wife to a shop to handle one. She does fine with racking the Ruger SR22 and Sig P238 but she has a very hard time with any of my 9mm pistols even the Ruger LC9S. (What she really needs is to build strength).

How stiff is the slide rack on a PM9? I have been thinking about taking my wife to a shop to handle one. She does fine with racking the Ruger SR22 and Sig P238 but she has a very hard time with any of my 9mm pistols even the Ruger LC9S. (What she really needs is to build strength).

If she has trouble with full size 9mm pistols then the PM9 is likely a no-go for her.

Why are you interested in a PM9 for her? Unless she is going to carry it in a pocket, there are likely better guns for her.

How stiff is the slide rack on a PM9?

Stiff. It sounds weird but you don't ever really rack the slide on the PM9. Kahr wants you utilizing the slide release even after the 200-300 round break in period. This doesn't mean you can't rack it. Kahr's have notoriously tight tolerances.

Don,

Yes for pocket carry. Want an alternative to my P238. Being the P380/CW380 are not compliant, nor is the CM9, it would have to be the PM9, size wise.

i'm a member at hamilton in sturbridge. i have an 8 drill this weekend in NJ for my weekend warrior training (Rah?), (thursday through sunday), so it won't be this weekend. but if you can wait, hit me up next week and you are more than welcome to shoot my (almost new) free state version...i've literally put the recommended 200rds through her for break in, and that's it. shoots like a dream, accurate as sin...but the slide is even tough for me to rack back because of how small the friggen thing is and how tight the parts are with the heavy spring.

if you want to plan on not this friday, but friday of next week, let me know. remind me a day or two ahead of time and we'll work something out. all i ask in return is that you bring something cool/fun for me to shoot!

-Mike (terminal lance)

Back
Top Bottom