Kahr PM9

I think you're right about training with the safety on, if you have a MA version, that way you're covered either way. If you concealed it thinking the safety was off, and it accidentily became activated, you could find yourself trying to pull the trigger on a locked gun. If you're trained to always disengage the safety, whether it's off or on, you'll be covered (assuming the split second of time you lose won't be a factor).

This is what happens when you get temporary political hacks in office who think they need to butt into every aspect of your lives. Liberal idiots, literate idiots, if you will. It still pisses me off and I'm 3000 miles away now.

Yup, that's exactly what I was saying. By training to always use it, you automatically sweep it off (even if it was already off). I feel this is important for any gun that has a working safety, because they can always be accidentally tripped, or even caught in between safe and off.

I hate the SR9c safety. It's way too large and I'm afraid I'll engage it if my thumb hits the massive piece of shit. Plus when I did the trigger work, it was a bitch to put back together. It works by pivoting and then locking on a detent (which is tiny). I spent hours trying to find the thing. I don't know, Ruger is a FUDD company and they love adding obscene safeties to their firearms. I mean seriously, what does it have like 3 safties? Mag disconnect, that huge red LCI, and a manual safety [rolleyes]

I love my SR9c but this is my only gripe with it. I couldn't rip the mag disconnect out quick enough. I might dremel down the flag someday so it doesn't stick up so far but meh, it's not a priority.

Well, for me having very big hands, that "massive piece of shit" safety lever is an asset because it makes it more tactile for me to disengage without having to feel around for it, like I said similar to a 1911.

At first I hated the LCI, but have found that to be very beneficial for when things go bump in the night. I can easily "feel" when there is a chambered round without having to either rack the slide (noisy and defeats the element of surprise), or try to remember when I'm half asleep what condition I left the gun in. For the most part there is ALWAYS a round chambered unless I'm cleaning it, but that stupid little flag actually gives me tactile assurance that it is indeed in condition 1.

I did remove that stupid mag disconnect though because I see no function for that, and it could actually screw you up in a defensive situation if you accidentally hit the mag release since the gun will still at least fire the chambered round.

Yup, that's exactly what I was saying. By training to always use it, you automatically sweep it off (even if it was already off). I feel this is important for any gun that has a working safety, because they can always be accidentally tripped, or even caught in between safe and off.

Yes, if I was forced to carry a PM9 with a safety I would turn it off before concealing the gun, but I would also sweep my thumb after drawing as if I had actually activated the safety before concealing the weapon. I guess it never sunk in to the statists in MA government that the Kahr's DAO trigger is a very effective safety, and that the double action only IS the safety.

Just to add, the original "round in chamber indicator" on the non statist models, the same as the one on Glocks, is also very effective if you know how to use it. It is not meant to be a visual indicator but an indicator that relies on feel. You sweep your trigger finger upwards and you can feel that the indicator is protruding, not flush, with the slide. Of course you shouldn't rely on that anyway (this is where training comes in) so it's a moot issue and the statists should have left that alone too. It amazes me that these political hacks are so arrogant that they actually believe they know firearms better than Kahr, or even Glock for that matter.

Last edited:
Well, for me having very big hands, that "massive piece of shit" safety lever is an asset because it makes it more tactile for me to disengage without having to feel around for it, like I said similar to a 1911.

At first I hated the LCI, but have found that to be very beneficial for when things go bump in the night. I can easily "feel" when there is a chambered round without having to either rack the slide (noisy and defeats the element of surprise), or try to remember when I'm half asleep what condition I left the gun in. For the most part there is ALWAYS a round chambered unless I'm cleaning it, but that stupid little flag actually gives me tactile assurance that it is indeed in condition 1.

I did remove that stupid mag disconnect though because I see no function for that, and it could actually screw you up in a defensive situation if you accidentally hit the mag release since the gun will still at least fire the chambered round.

To each his own. I'll never use a safety and the less the better IMHO. Part of the reason I love Glock and my XDs, no thumb safety. Ruger likes being political and lawyer ass kissers , but I can look the other way when it comes to staples like the 10/22. Drool.

I hate the SR9c safety. It's way too large and I'm afraid I'll engage it if my thumb hits the massive piece of shit. Plus when I did the trigger work, it was a bitch to put back together. It works by pivoting and then locking on a detent (which is tiny). I spent hours trying to find the thing. I don't know, Ruger is a FUDD company and they love adding obscene safeties to their firearms. I mean seriously, what does it have like 3 safties? Mag disconnect, that huge red LCI, and a manual safety [rolleyes]

I love my SR9c but this is my only gripe with it. I couldn't rip the mag disconnect out quick enough. I might dremel down the flag someday so it doesn't stick up so far but meh, it's not a priority.

it's a ruger

nuff said

To each his own. I'll never use a safety and the less the better IMHO. Part of the reason I love Glock and my XDs, no thumb safety. Ruger likes being political and lawyer ass kissers , but I can look the other way when it comes to staples like the 10/22. Drool.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would much prefer not having any safety like the examples you listed. I was just saying that if it's there, like the SR, then I'd rather use it than have it bite me in the ass and accidentally find it engaged when I'm expecting to hear a bang. If I could find an XDs (or an ffl that would transfer one) that would be my primary carry.

PM9 in the front pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis or back pocket with DeSantis Superfly. and a Pocket Mag Packer in the off hand front pocket.

Hey, one thing I learned is that when loading the magazines you have to make sure that each round clicks in all the way to the rear; you can hear the round snap into place when it's properly seated. You have to do that for each round. What I noticed is that using this procedure the last round you load is held very securely in the magazine, maybe not as securely as a double stack Glock magazine, but secure enough it seems that rounds won't fall out in a pocket. I'm loving the PM9.

Last edited:
Great Gun!! have owned the Pm9 the P40 and now the P9 (bigger version) I can cc that gun with a t-shirt anywhere I go. I was a little suspect of the caliber only because I prefer to carry 40 or 45 but a good friend in LE recommended 9+p hollow points and I have become a believer. It will take a little time to break in so put 200 down range before you get comfortable.

Great Gun!! have owned the Pm9 the P40 and now the P9 (bigger version) I can cc that gun with a t-shirt anywhere I go. I was a little suspect of the caliber only because I prefer to carry 40 or 45 but a good friend in LE recommended 9+p hollow points and I have become a believer. It will take a little time to break in so put 200 down range before you get comfortable.

Yeah, I've racked the slide 500 times and I'll clean and oil the gun before I hit the range.

I'm enjoying learning about the little details of the gun like the "Black Diamond Finish", and the philosophy behind the magazines like that it doesn't sit flush at the bottom of the grip purposely so you have a place to grip it if it gets jammed, and also the gap ensures that the magazine will seat correctly without cutting it too close. The amount of attention to detail is amazing; the engineering genius of it, and the tight tolerances of the gun are simply amazing.

I love my PM9 and currently pocket carry it in a Blackhawk Size 4 pocket holster (Size 3 was too snug). Rounds will slowly shimmy out of the magazine if you use that little watch pocket on your jeans. I just use a velcro cell phone case clipped to my belt though.

What a great idea. Thanks.

Picked one of these up today. Had my eye on them for a while now. Carried it holsterless in my waistband all day and "no one saw my gun". So small and light weight I barely knew it was there. Even driving, it sat back there really comfortably. I do plan on getting a holster. They just didn't have any where I bought it. Mine is 2-tone. I've always liked that look but that's just a matter of preference. Can't wait to put some rounds through it!

Picked one of these up today. Had my eye on them for a while now. Carried it holsterless in my waistband all day and "no one saw my gun". So small and light weight I barely knew it was there. Even driving, it sat back there really comfortably. I do plan on getting a holster. They just didn't have any where I bought it. Mine is 2-tone. I've always liked that look but that's just a matter of preference. Can't wait to put some rounds through it!

Hey, congrats! I think it's the perfect size for concealed carry: not too big and not too small.

The two-toned model is beautiful too. Love the chrome trigger and slide release. You can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

I would probably be afraid to carry with it just tucked with no holster, but if you are comfortable with that, then you may really like the Remora holster for it. It is cool because it's clip less so you can place it anywhere in your waistband, and is "sticky" enough that it will stay put even with sweatpants or athletic type shorts. It's also cheaper than the hybrid type holsters such as Crossbreed, Comptac, etc. For a gun as small as the Pm9 it would be perfect inmo because it works awesome even with a bigger, heavier gun like the SR9c that I use it with.

I have had mine for a couple of years now, be cause I am semi retired I live in shorts and a T shirt all summer. I throw my PM9 in my pocket every day with a round in the chamber(recommended by Kahr). I actually like the loaded round indicator, there is no mistaking if it is loaded or not, you can feel the metal indicator sticking up. As for the safety, I am clueless if it works or not, I have never tried it. Accuracy on this little sucker is great, DAO trigger pull is excellent. No jams, no stove pipes in factory and reloads which is common with some of the mouse guns. Cannot think of a single con for this pistol. When Fall arrives I go back to my German Sig P228, another great pistol that will never let you down.

I have had mine for a couple of years now, be cause I am semi retired I live in shorts and a T shirt all summer. I throw my PM9 in my pocket every day with a round in the chamber(recommended by Kahr). I actually like the loaded round indicator, there is no mistaking if it is loaded or not, you can feel the metal indicator sticking up. As for the safety, I am clueless if it works or not, I have never tried it. Accuracy on this little sucker is great, DAO trigger pull is excellent. No jams, no stove pipes in factory and reloads which is common with some of the mouse guns. Cannot think of a single con for this pistol. When Fall arrives I go back to my German Sig P228, another great pistol that will never let you down.

Yeah, the original round in chamber indicator works great too. You just have to carefully observe and feel the difference between having a round in the chamber and not. I like it also because it's consistent with my Glocks.

Hey, just this minute I heard on satellite radio (The Wilkow Majority) that Kahr is moving to Pennsylvania. Another victory for central planning and regulation, hah. So much for caring about middle class jobs.

Very informative thread. I've been researching the PM9 for a few weeks and had a lot of questions about it that this thread has answered. Thnak's, gentlemen. I guess I'll proceed with the purchase.

Know what I love about this site, every now and then I get into my anti-statist/ communist/ Marxist rant and all I get back is crickets, which says to me that there's no argument from you gun lovers around here even though most of you live in the offending states. Maybe there is still a sliver of hope for this country of ours. To see all the patriots here on a northeast shooting forum is very encouraging. Me? I still have no regrets about moving to Las Vegas. Guns, gambling, and gash, what's not to like? hehehe

God bless all you and keep up the fight.

Very informative thread. I've been researching the PM9 for a few weeks and had a lot of questions about it that this thread has answered. Thnak's, gentlemen. I guess I'll proceed with the purchase.
This is one gun that will never end up a safe queen. Once you drop this gun in your front pocket you will see why.

I've had the CM9 for a little over a year now and absolutely love the gun. I carry it IWB as well as in the pocket using a Desantis nemesis superfly pocket holster and I forget it's there most of the time. The trigger is long but smooth and if you shoot revolvers it won't take long to get use to the trigger. The PM/CM series are great guns for the money. I've shot probably around 800 rounds through it with zero issues. One minor issue I had (which was my fault) was when I was cleaning the slide and got some fouling crap on the rear sight and was digging it out with a cloth and my fingernail and the white dot fell out. So I just got some whiteout and painted in back on. Still shoots great. It is hard to do quick double tap shots with it but I find if I aim a little high (to compensate for the long trigger and pulling the whole gun downwards) when I'm shooting quickly, I can hit my steel plate everytime at ~10 yards.

If you want a good pocket carry and IWB carry gun then pick up a PM9/CM9, you won't be disappointed.

I had the slide, barrel, and slide stop lever polished by Kahr a few months ago and it came out awesome.

View attachment 75762View attachment 75763View attachment 75764

Last edited:
I've had the CM9 for a little over a year now and absolutely love the gun. I carry it IWB as well as in the pocket using a Desantis nemesis superfly pocket holster and I forget it's there most of the time. The trigger is long but smooth and if you shoot revolvers it won't take long to get use to the trigger. The PM/CM series are great guns for the money. I've shot probably around 800 rounds through it with zero issues. One minor issue I had (which was my fault) was when I was cleaning the slide and got some fouling crap on the rear sight and was digging it out with a cloth and my fingernail and the white dot fell out. So I just got some whiteout and painted in back on. Still shoots great. It is hard to do quick double tap shots with it but I find if I aim a little high (to compensate for the long trigger and pulling the whole gun downwards) when I'm shooting quickly, I can hit my steel plate everytime at ~10 yards.

If you want a good pocket carry and IWB carry gun then pick up a PM9/CM9, you won't be disappointed.

I had the slide, barrel, and slide stop lever polished by Kahr a few months ago and it came out awesome.

View attachment 75762View attachment 75763View attachment 75764

That looks really slick all polished like that! I'm a sucker for polished stainless and aluminum and end up polishing just about everything I own that can be polished eventually. I probably wouldn't do a strictly carry gun though just because I prefer to have nothing showing that could draw attention if my shirt was pulled up or something because of the crapachussetts paranoia. That's why I opted for the all black version of my EDC. I did polish the barrel, though.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom