• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let’s talk about tree stands

Atlantis

NES Member
So I’m looking to close the gap for next year on my knowledge and equipment re: deer hunting.

Looks like there are three main categories, climbing stands, hangers, saddle systems.

I’m leaning towards a saddle system for next year, but the climber seems interesting too. Also not sure that a saddle system is the end all be all of the equation because I’d still need to climb. Looks like there’s people who pack multiple sticks, the one stick crew, and the strap on steps?

Anyone climb with just arborist spikes and a lineman’s belt?

So many options, really curious what the consensus looks like

So I’m looking to close the gap for next year on my knowledge and equipment re: deer hunting.

Looks like there are three main categories, climbing stands, hangers, saddle systems.

I’m leaning towards a saddle system for next year, but the climber seems interesting too. Also not sure that a saddle system is the end all be all of the equation because I’d still need to climb. Looks like there’s people who pack multiple sticks, the one stick crew, and the strap on steps?

The main reason to use a climber is if you can’t or don’t want to set up permanently. I love my climber, but I tweaked my back with it first time out this year because I didn’t stretch and hadn’t used it at all since last season.

Climbers can be incredibly comfortable…important for all day sits.

Full disclosure I’ve never tried a saddle system, but after having used a climber I’m not sure I’d have any reason to use anything else if on public land. Here on my personal property, I’ll be setting up permanent stands eventually.

Each situation can really call for a different stand type. It depends what you are doing, how comfortable you want to be and how much BS you want to deal with in the dark.

In other words.....look at where and how you'll be hunitng.

Private land only.....Im getting me a comfy ladders or a few fixed portable with good steps and leave them there, and the stand there. Do some serious scouting and set your stands. Done.
In and out quietly, not a lot of BS, and really the best way to hunt.

Public land - long walk......thats where you need portability and not comfort. Think saddle, strap on steps, one sticking method, climbing ropes all that so you don't have to carry a lot of weight a long way. On public land this will be the most successfull way as you can move a lot and hunt fresh sign or go deep where no one wants to go.

Public land - short walk in. Then I go the climber route, comfy, little more noise, little more setup. Gotta have some telephone pole trees to climb, which usually around here isn't an issue like the midwest or something. I have a summit climber but the XOP that folds up is better if your packing further.

Then there are other situations......like I have a lot of hemlocks in my area......I don't need to pack a lot of sticks because I just need one or two to get into the canopy, then can climb limbs.
So I pack two sticks and a stand a lot of times. and sometimes don't even use the sticks.

I use all three methods and have a shit load of equipment bought from a shit load of years hunting.

However, if you aren't sure and just want to do one thing and have less. I'd go a saddle, stick steps and a light stand or platform. You can use it anywhere, it won't be the most comfortable thing, but it will work for any occasion. If you want to get into one sticking, youll need more ropes, and a repel method like the madrock safeguard. Honestly no matter what method I use a long line with a madrock so I can repel if things go south at any point in the climb.

That said, I'm not a fan of saddle hunting, I feel a combo of both having a stand and using the saddle as a safety harness I can make nearly any shot needed. Hanging in a saddle only certain shot can be made.......you can get into some serious money with the Lone Wolf Custom Gear things.....but my working mans setup is a saddle with a Millenium X7 and 4 Tetherd Skeletor sticks. Pack up to about 13 pounds. The good thing about the millenium is if you have a few preset trees you can buy the chain or straps with the locking mechanism and just leave those up in the tree and pop your stand in and out real quick.
I bought both on sale and I think I have 300 into that setup.

Last edited:
Each situation can really call for a different stand type. It depends what you are doing, how comfortable you want to be and how much BS you want to deal with in the dark.

In other words.....look at where and how you'll be hunitng.

Private land only.....Im getting me a comfy ladders or a few fixed portable with good steps and leave them there, and the stand there. Do some serious scouting and set your stands. Done.
In and out quietly, not a lot of BS, and really the best way to hunt.

Public land - long walk......thats where you need portability and not comfort. Think saddle, strap on steps, one sticking method, climbing ropes all that so you don't have to carry a lot of weight a long way. On public land this will be the most successfull way as you can move a lot and hunt fresh sign or go deep where no one wants to go.

Public land - short walk in. Then I go the climber route, comfy, little more noise, little more setup. Gotta have some telephone pole trees to climb, which usually around here isn't an issue like the midwest or something.

Then there are other situations......like I have a lot of hemlocks in my area......I don't need to pack a lot of sticks because I just need one or two to get into the canopy, then can climb limbs.
So I pack two sticks and a stand.

I use all three methods and have a shit load of equipment. However, if you aren't sure and just want to do one thing and have less. I'd go a saddle, stick steps and a light stand or platform. You can use it anywhere, it won't be the most comfortable thing, but it will work for any occasion.
Agree with everything this gentleman has to say. I hunted exclusively climbers for many years(vipers are very comfy) because I was learning how to scout and moved around frequently and they're very versatile for that. Always on public land and once I found a spot that I liked and felt comfortable doing so I started leaving my climber on the base of a tree and throwing a couple pine tree branches on top of it for cover because it sucks humping them around and setting them up in the dark. Never had one stolen but I also wouldn't have been extremely bent out of shape if I had because in my mind the cost was worth the work of moving it around. Killed a lot of deer doing that.

Since then I have set up many ladders on public land in those same spots with no issues and killed a lot more deer. A ladder will always be the most comfortable and quiet method of hunting for me. My recommendation to anyone new in the game would be a similar route, I'd probably start with a saddle now over a climber as they seem very versatile and light.

Whichever route you go, you'll appreciate a good ladder stand when you get to that point.

Agree with everything this gentleman has to say. I hunted exclusively climbers for many years(vipers are very comfy) because I was learning how to scout and moved around frequently and they're very versatile for that. Always on public land and once I found a spot that I liked and felt comfortable doing so I started leaving my climber on the base of a tree and throwing a couple pine tree branches on top of it for cover because it sucks humping them around and setting them up in the dark. Never had one stolen but I also wouldn't have been extremely bent out of shape if I had because in my mind the cost was worth the work of moving it around. Killed a lot of deer doing that.

Since then I have set up many ladders on public land in those same spots with no issues and killed a lot more deer. A ladder will always be the most comfortable and quiet method of hunting for me. My recommendation to anyone new in the game would be a similar route, I'd probably start with a saddle now over a climber as they seem very versatile and light.

Whichever route you go, you'll appreciate a good ladder stand when you get to that point.
Although ladders are extremely heavy and terrible to tote in to public land. The good thing about a ladder stand is though guys may use it, they typically won't steal it, like they would a portable with sticks or something, because most people that steal stuff just don't want to work that hard to get it out. So if your going to leave something on public land, leave a heavy ladder and it will likely not get stolen. And you can get some end of year sales on a two man near 100 bucks. A two man stand......no one is gonna want to haul that back out.

And, don't be too mad if someone is sitting in it one day......it is public land. Although I would never do that, there are plenty of guys that find it OK to do that.

For a climbing stand Summit Open Shot SD if your going to backpack it in. It’s small and light, I’ve been using one for years.
I prefer a hang on over a ladder stand. Millennium M100 is a great stand, you’ll need ladder sticks to climb.

So I've got a Summit Treestands Viper SD Climbing Treestand on the way, should be here monday. Figure it is the least learning curve to get me started and get a few days in before new years. Leaning heavily towards a saddle setup for next year for the versatility. Seems like limbs would be easier to manage with dual tethers and a saddle than a climber.

I would say @Mark from MA covered just about all the bases. I have two stands I hunt out of, I have a climber that I leave down by a swamp and a double tree stand about a 1/4 mile or so away.
Both have great signs of deer in the areas they are in, the climber is off a game trail/highway that leads in and out of some thick cover, the double stand sits in more of a open area overlooking ridge and trail that walking hunters use but don't push that far down the trail, far enough to spook up and push game my way.
I like having 2 ( three next year, I will call it the triangle of death lol ), when I get cold I come down out of one of them and walk to the other.

Funny thing is this year in my area the woods had a bout 5"s of snow, and I was cold last weds night and said "I know I should stay put" but at 4:05 I got of my double stand and was slowly walking back and that is when I glanced over and shot my doe, around 30 feet away, coming up from behind her, she herd nothing till it was to late.

Scout your area and be ready to make moves if need be. This year I moved my climber closer to the swamp in area I hunt in, I found no acorns in the higher hill above the swamp, I did some scouting a few days after seeing nothing ( hardly no poop or tracks which was odd ) and found tons of tracks right next to and leading into the swamp.
I made the decision to move the climber as it takes me about a 15 ( without the walk ) to break it down and set it up. The next day missed a nice buck in that climber. Again be ready to make moves.

So I've got a Summit Treestands Viper SD Climbing Treestand on the way, should be here monday. Figure it is the least learning curve to get me started and get a few days in before new years. Leaning heavily towards a saddle setup for next year for the versatility. Seems like limbs would be easier to manage with dual tethers and a saddle than a climber.
Keep a small pruning saw in your kit until you're set up in a spot you like. They're very handy for setup on any type of stand and great for splitting a deer pelvis as well

I would say @Mark from MA covered just about all the bases. I have two stands I hunt out of, I have a climber that I leave down by a swamp and a double tree stand about a 1/4 mile or so away.
Both have great signs of deer in the areas they are in, the climber is off a game trail/highway that leads in and out of some thick cover, the double stand sits in more of a open area overlooking ridge and trail that walking hunters use but don't push that far down the trail, far enough to spook up and push game my way.
I like having 2 ( three next year, I will call it the triangle of death lol ), when I get cold I come down out of one of them and walk to the other.

Funny thing is this year in my area the woods had a bout 5"s of snow, and I was cold last weds night and said "I know I should stay put" but at 4:05 I got of my double stand and was slowly walking back and that is when I glanced over and shot my doe, around 30 feet away, coming up from behind her, she herd nothing till it was to late.

Scout your area and be ready to make moves if need be. This year I moved my climber closer to the swamp in area I hunt in, I found no acorns in the higher hill above the swamp, I did some scouting a few days after seeing nothing ( hardly no poop or tracks which was odd ) and found tons of tracks right next to and leading into the swamp.
I made the decision to move the climber as it takes me about a 15 ( without the walk ) to break it down and set it up. The next day missed a nice buck in that climber. Again be ready to make moves.
Yup.....have to move. Bigger the stand and the more locked in place it is, the less you will be likely to move it.

Thats why a lighter more mobile option is always good to have, on top of the big comfortable stands. Ideally on private land you can leave a climber and move it around.

I haven't had the balls to do that on public land....I feel someone will steal my 300 dollar summit viper.

I opt for the millenium or XOP preset bracket and leaving a few sticks setup and taking the bottom one so no one can reach. Most people aren't going to bother to try as there is no stand at the top anyway, just a bracket.

I leave these setup in a few public areas and if i need to move, its very easy. It also lets me just have one stand, not multiple, (I do have XOP , but my favorite is the Millenium 100 with the big comfy seat) but I do have to carry it in every time, but with the bracket it takes me about a minute to drop it in strap the bottom and hunt. I put some money into buying like 5 brackets this year on a good sale at midway, so I can just spread these out.

When I'm totally bushwacking and scouting new areas thats when I carry the small 7 pound stand and 4 sticks, but once I've got an idea where to setup, I move to just a few sticks left in and the bracket if the camera says its worth it.

Last edited:
Although ladders are extremely heavy and terrible to tote in to public land. The good thing about a ladder stand is though guys may use it, they typically won't steal it, like they would a portable with sticks or something, because most people that steal stuff just don't want to work that hard to get it out. So if your going to leave something on public land, leave a heavy ladder and it will likely not get stolen. And you can get some end of year sales on a two man near 100 bucks. A two man stand......no one is gonna want to haul that back out.

And, don't be too mad if someone is sitting in it one day......it is public land. Although I would never do that, there are plenty of guys that find it OK to do that.
You wouldn’t take a shot at their toes from a covered position? Jk 😆

I used to work in one every day, I'd rather take the risk of falling and getting killed or much more likely injured and be able to crawl away and call for help. If you're suspended with a harness you're going to get injured and it's very difficult to self rescue. If you can get a phone out of your pocket and call help they have 15-30 mins to get you down before you'll lose consciousness and possibly die. I'll take my chances falling.

I used to work in one every day, I'd rather take the risk of falling and getting killed or much more likely injured and be able to crawl away and call for help. If you're suspended with a harness you're going to get injured and it's very difficult to self rescue. If you can get a phone out of your pocket and call help they have 15-30 mins to get you down before you'll lose consciousness and possibly die. I'll take my chances falling.

Interesting, I was curious about that. My buddy gave me some intel about his stand and when I was sitting in it I tied myself to the tree with a simple square not just as a guard rail pretty much, something to make sitting there easier. I figured I'd use the harness the same way, with some actual tension on it and virtually no slack. Not fall protection but fall prevention.

I get what you mean, if you are using it to arrest a fall, you could very easily become stuck/immobilized.

No offense....Ive never heard I'd rather fall 20 feet than use a climbing or hunting safety harness. That's madness.

If you have a good harness your not going to get hurt if you keep slack to a minimum. A lot of the good hunting harnesess nowadays have fall restraint, meaning there is slack that slowly breaks off to soften the fall/drop if you do fall far. Way better than falling and hitting the ground or a rock. But most of the time the actual fall when harnessed in is what.....3 feet....if your tethered pretty secure. And the restraint probably is enough to get you back on the stand if your not slacked out too much.

I use a saddle as my safety harness.........which if I fall is meant to sit in for hours if needed....but as Ive said a few times before, if your worried about being stuck hanging, use a long line with a repel aid like a madrock safeguard as your main safety line tie in, and you can just repel down very easily if something goes awry. Yeah, the madrock cost about 90 bucks....but to me its worth my life.

No offense....Ive never heard I'd rather fall 20 feet than use a climbing or hunting safety harness. That's madness.

If you have a good harness your not going to get hurt if you keep slack to a minimum. A lot of the good hunting harnesess nowadays have fall restraint, meaning there is slack that slowly breaks off to soften the fall/drop if you do fall far. Way better than falling and hitting the ground or a rock. But most of the time the actual fall when harnessed in is what.....3 feet....if your tethered pretty secure. And the restraint probably is enough to get you back on the stand if your not slacked out too much.

I use a saddle as my safety harness.........which if I fall is meant to sit in for hours if needed....but as Ive said a few times before, if your worried about being stuck hanging, use a long line with a repel aid like a madrock safeguard as your main safety line tie in, and you can just repel down very easily if something goes awry. Yeah, the madrock cost about 90 bucks....but to me its worth my life.
To each his own. Saddle hunting is a very different animal. When you're hunting method is being constantly suspended then you've certainly thought of how you plan to get back to the ground. My biggest point is that most guys wearing normal harnesses are only considering the fall and overlooking how to self rescue which in my opinion is just as important if not more so...

To each his own. Saddle hunting is a very different animal. When you're hunting method is being constantly suspended then you've certainly thought of how you plan to get back to the ground. My biggest point is that most guys wearing normal harnesses are only considering the fall and overlooking how to self rescue which in my opinion is just as important if not more so...
I do agree.....very few think of hanging suspended and what they would do after. Ive challenged my friends that wear harnesses with the same question and they never have a good plan. Hug the tree or cut the line is usually the answer.....thats a disaster.

But I'm not talking only saddle hunting........ regular hunters using stands can do the same thing.

This is why instead of a hunting harness which is expensive and useless to repel out of. I suggest hunters get a simple climbing harness that connects in front. One that has linesmans loops as well. Usually like 50-60 bucks on amazon. Then spend the rest of the money you would have on a hunting harness, instead on a madrock and a nice lightweight 30 foot long rope like Res Tech, or Canyon that isn't bulky or heavy, but its strong enough to repel down and at the same time use as a safety rope.

View: https://youtu.be/OpYL8WxHs5k

Last edited:
Ill add that at height, you can either back this thing up with a friction hitch into your climbing harness, or tie a few overhand knots just in case the madrock should fail, the knot will catch you.

Repelling down a friction hitch should be used for a backup in case you lose control for some reason.

View: https://youtu.be/3bzcTdm8cwc

I repel down nearly 100% of the time now, and once you get used of it......you'll never want to do it any other way, its fast and effortless. And actually I find it kinda fun.

I had the opportunity to experience being suspended by a harness when a climbing stick became un-set during a descent (I'm thinking my pull-rope snagged the stick, and I didn't notice). The stick was still attached to the tree but at 90°. I managed to get enough slack to reset the stick, but it was very awkward. A tether w/Prussic is not forgiving when there's a load on it.

If I wasn't able to reach that stick, extreme measures would've been required. On my harness I have knife attached, and a trauma/suspension belt. I was happy to have not had to resort to using either. Using a tree that I could get reach around made it easier to self-recover. And I also now carry some aiders. Having an aider handy when that stick gave way would've made things much easier.

I began using a saddle a bit this season and I really like it, for the reasons @Mark from MA has mentioned here many times. Of all the types of stands, I despise setting up hang-on stands the most. Using a saddle made that task much easier to manage. I have not used my Summit Viper climber yet this season.

Okay so I'm going to thread hijack my own thread a bit. A friend gave me his stand location near rucky gutter, along a pipeline clearing, similar to a cleared corridor for power lines or something like that. His stand is very close to the road/entry point, and the swamp is another 600 yards or so down the corridor. I got out of the stand this morning around 8am, and starting walking down the cleared corridor to scout a good tree for my climbing stand closer to the swamp. I saw does about 300 yards away, and stalked closer to maybe 100 yards before I got busted. Probably should have figured out a shooting rest or something around 150 but I didn't want to miss an offhand shot. I did walk around that whole area where they were browsing, and found some good trees that were pretty limbless.

So now I'm wondering if the fact that they busted me and that I was walking around has "tainted" the area.

So

1) Do you think its likely they would come back to browse in this same location

2) Do you think it would make sense to try and repeat the same still hunting/walking entry and this time bring a shoot stick or something?

or

3) If I bring that climbing stand in, and get it up in a tree by say 5:30am and set, would that level of noise and scent bust the the whole area for hours?

I had the opportunity to experience being suspended by a harness when a climbing stick became un-set during a descent (I'm thinking my pull-rope snagged the stick, and I didn't notice). The stick was still attached to the tree but at 90°. I managed to get enough slack to reset the stick, but it was very awkward. A tether w/Prussic is not forgiving when there's a load on it.

If I wasn't able to reach that stick, extreme measures would've been required. On my harness I have knife attached, and a trauma/suspension belt. I was happy to have not had to resort to using either. Using a tree that I could get reach around made it easier to self-recover. And I also now carry some aiders. Having an aider handy when that stick gave way would've made things much easier.

I began using a saddle a bit this season and I really like it, for the reasons @Mark from MA has mentioned here many times. Of all the types of stands, I despise setting up hang-on stands the most. Using a saddle made that task much easier to manage. I have not used my Summit Viper climber yet this season.
An aider in your pocket or somewhere that you can reach and tie on the tree or hang on the tree or step is a great thing to have to take the weight off your prussic/tether and self rescue.

Saddles are ungodly expensive for what they are, I got a deal on mine is the only reason I use it. Otherwise, Id just use a climbing harness. I also beleive its a "trend" as I have not found them more comfortable or more easy to shoot out of than a hang on or climber. Many people will beg to differ, and those people are probably younger and more nimble than me and dont have the aches and pains of a 50 plus year old.

Okay so I'm going to thread hijack my own thread a bit. A friend gave me his stand location near rucky gutter, along a pipeline clearing, similar to a cleared corridor for power lines or something like that. His stand is very close to the road/entry point, and the swamp is another 600 yards or so down the corridor. I got out of the stand this morning around 8am, and starting walking down the cleared corridor to scout a good tree for my climbing stand closer to the swamp. I saw does about 300 yards away, and stalked closer to maybe 100 yards before I got busted. Probably should have figured out a shooting rest or something around 150 but I didn't want to miss an offhand shot. I did walk around that whole area where they were browsing, and found some good trees that were pretty limbless.

So now I'm wondering if the fact that they busted me and that I was walking around has "tainted" the area.

So

1) Do you think its likely they would come back to browse in this same location

2) Do you think it would make sense to try and repeat the same still hunting/walking entry and this time bring a shoot stick or something?

or

3) If I bring that climbing stand in, and get it up in a tree by say 5:30am and set, would that level of noise and scent bust the the whole area for hours?
If your on public land during shotgun....the whole area is tainted. But if there is pressure, the deer may come back to where there is none.

If your on public land during shotgun....the whole area is tainted. But if there is pressure, the deer may come back to where there is none.

This is not public land but apparently somewhat well known as a non posted private? Seems like hunting the same place repeatedly is not good, but this also the only place I have any confirmation of deer.

If you wear a harness and attach it at the proper height it should prevent you from falling out of the stand. Or at least not below the level of the platform. No?

Back
Top Bottom