• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lever action options

headednorth

NES Member
Ive had a craving for a lever action rifle for a while now. Usually when the urge for something new hits me, I give it some time to run its course, but this aint going away.

I love the look of the Henry's with the color case hardened receivers and the octagonal barrels, but theyre only available in .30-30 and .45-70, neither of which I shoot. Getting into a new caliber means new dies, new brass, new trimmer, etc, which means more money. My options are...

- Suck it up, choose a caliber, buy the accessories and get over it. Or...

-Pick up a steel receiver rifle in 357 or 45 Colt and try my hand at a cch applied patina. (Im already set up for these two calibers.)

https://steelfxpatinas.com/color-case-hardening-effect-steel/

So my questions are...

-What are the pros and cons of .30-30 vs .45-70? I assume 30-30 would be a cheaper round to shoot, component-wise. For what its worth, I dont plan on hunting with this rifle, I typically only shoot out to 100 yards, I reload, havent gotten into casting yet but have been interested in it. I load for 45 colt and 308, so bullets for either of these calibers I assume could also be used for either new caliber. (round nose 308) Would .45-70 save me the trouble of case trimming and the cost of a new trimmer head? (I use the Giraud Tri-Way) Any other issues Im missing between these two choices?

-Does anyone have any experience with the cch patina? Ease of application? Durability? Does it look in person the same as it does in the pictures?

Basically, I love the look of the rifles and will just be shooting at paper at the range and am exploring options at this point. Any advice and comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom