• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

The thing is, they have to know you have a safe and know you won’t be home for a while. It comes down to OPSEC.
Are you saying the police KNEW that he had the Liberty Safe before they went in? There are only two ways they could have known it: the credit card company gave or Liberty Safe provided Liberty safe customer list to LE

Are you saying the police KNEW that he had the Liberty Safe before they went in? There are only two ways they could have known it: the credit card company gave or Liberty Safe provided Liberty safe customer list to LE

My comment was replying to someone talking about any jamoke getting in with an angle grinder. The FBI did not use an angle grinder

And no, I bet the FBI didn’t know there was a safe there until they got there. But a quick call to Liberty and easy peasy.

Liberty safe opinion from an expert on access control devices:

The Liberty manual shows only how to change the user code and says you can register your safe and they can then recover lost codes. However, SecuRam factory manual mentions two codes, the user code and a manager code( "Super Code."). You can reset both codes using a reset button on the back of the lock.
Liberty manual doesn't mention the second factory code at all.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any vendor or bank that purges order or transactions after 24 hours. Amazon keeps years of purchase history, and even some history of what you looked at.

Ant to what extent can a subpeona force a business to go to try to recover data? Can it mandate stop of writes to the drive with the data followed by use of deleted file recovery programs? I'd guess that there is LE software that has features like scan contend of deleted files not yet overwritten. This is harder on Unix/Linux since the file systems on Unix tend to overwrite recently freed space, whereas NTFS does the opposite leaving a very long history of recoverable deleted files.
Amazon and other vendors keep your purchase history as part of their business model, not part of their backup/disaster recovery plan. And I wasn't saying that businesses automatically purge their transaction history after 24 hours. I was referring to their backups of said data files. If they don't purge the data from their transactional system, then there would be no need for a government entity to look at the backups, the data would be right there in the current data set. There is a difference between your data recovery/disaster recovery plan and your business plan. I was simply saying that any business that wants to ensure that they don't keep you private data can easily ensure that said data is not included in a backup set if they follow the correct procedures. If they don't, then they can't claim to not be keeping your data. I worked with several entities that had requirements from the federal government that all data related to a particular engagement needed to be purged after the engagement was completed and the requirement specifically called out any backup images. It's why we had to come up with a solution to the problem.

How do the spline keys wear out?
The spine key is interference fit. This is done to insure they do not work out over time and the spline - cam connection has no hysteresis. That so dialing a number actually is that number and not the number + or - a bit. The first use of the spine key causes its shape to distort. It will never be as tight a fit again. The spine key does not have to back all the way out but only allow hysteresis (back lash) to cause a relationship change with the wheel pack and the dial. A new lock body or a new Dial comes with a new Spline key. But if not, new keys are only a couple bucks. In my way of thinking using a new key is worth it when compared the potential hassle of being locked out or needing to mess with the lock at some future date. BTW Changing the combination does not require removing the dial so does not require a new key.

Back
Top Bottom