• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

Reptile

NES Member
Liberty Safe, "America's #1 heavy-duty home and gun safe manufacturer," according to their website, issued a statement late Tuesday night confirming that they'd given the FBI an access code to a customer's gun safe in response to a request on August 30, 2023. That request came during a raid on the home of a man who'd attended a protest on January 6.

Continues...

Learn to work on safes and you can create your own combination.

The feds will just force it open.

So was this a subpoena sent specifically to Liberty or just a request from the FBI for the code? A search warrant by itself for this person’s residence can’t compel a private company to hand over the codes to a safe.

If the police have a search warrant for my house and they seize my iPhone, Apple won’t give them my passcode just because the phone was seized pursuant to the warrant.

Better that they have the combo, as they will just have a locksmith drill it. They WILL get it open, and they don't give a shit if they ruin it.
The problem is that Liberty Safe received a ”request” from the FBI for the combo, not a subpoena, a request. Liberty said that after they had “proof of a valid warrant” against the suspect, they freely handed the FBI the combination without requiring the FBI to serve Liberty with a subpoena for it. Liberty’s attorneys apparently know how to validate a warrant against one of their customers, and then proceed to instruct their clients to hand out private company data to law enforcement without a supporting subpoena for that information.

Yes, they will get into the safe one way or another, no, we don’t need another company allowing the feds to run over people‘s rights without due process.

True, but as Grendizer138 stated above, the home owner should decide this, not Liberty Safe.
I agree, not condoning Liberty Safe's move. Funny thing, years ago in Ca., a friend had a search warrant executed for his premises, including his Cannon Safe.He offered to open it for them, and they would not allow it, instead, they brought in a locksmith to drill it.

The roasting continues this morning unabated. Apparently they've made their own customer base very mad because they claim to not have any codes to get into the safes but gladly gives out the same non existent codes to any law enforcement agency upon request. What good is a safe if it's not you know 'safe' the word that it's named after.

This is another example of a company that doesn't know or understand it's customers and they just bud light-ed themselves.

So if one were in the market for a quality gun safe, what are some alternative options?
Whatever works for you and your budget. As long as it will keep kids and stupid adults out of it.

A random crackhead won't be able to open it.

A person that knows what you have will plan ahead and you are screwed.

The gov can take their time and open it.

Liberty probably could have gave the feds a bogus code and said "Well he must have changed it because that is the code our records show" With how the dems have weaponized all branches of the federal government, had they simply told the feds to pound sand I'm sure they would be dealing with IRS and OSHA audits for the next three decades.

Liberty probably could have gave the feds a bogus code and said "Well he must have changed it because that is the code our records show" With how the dems have weaponized all branches of the federal government, had they simply told the feds to pound sand I'm sure they would be dealing with IRS and OSHA audits for the next three decades.
Doesn't matter no one thinks that far ahead when they are internet mad

Giving them a fake code might have been worse for them.

This should have never been a problem, storing customer codes is f*cking stupid and it costs money. If you are going to be storing this stuff, you have to make sure it is safe.

The less customer information you store, the better. I don't understand why companies want to put themselves in these situations when it can all be solved by not storing the information. Let the feds, local PD, DA and whoever else get angry and have all the warrants they want, you can't provide what you don't have.

Back
Top Bottom