Lightest Easiest Carry in Setup yet

Mark from MA

NES Member
I'm not trying to be a dick here and say what I have is the best. What I'm trying to do is save someone a little time that is starting out, or whatever into lightweight treestand hunting.
Its been a bit of journey but I've finally think I've gotten to where I want to be and this setup is light enough for my old ass to pack in and use comfortably.

I tried the saddle thing....its not for me. Can't get used to hunting face towards the tree. And there are shots from a platform that you can't make from a saddle. However, along the way I found the saddle to be the best, lightest, easiest to put on, and most useful safety harness out there, and say I have some weird shot that I can't make from a platform, I can go lean out or sit in the saddle and maybe I can make it.
So even though I still use a stand, I need less of one because sometimes I'm just using the platform because I can saddle sit. Hands and legs free and set my stand or sticks as I go up if I want. Or I can just use the linemans as I go up. When Im at height in the stand I just set the saddle rope like a safety harness. The stand I use though when sitting is very comfortable and I can sit for hours without moving., unlike one of those little saddle platforms.

On to the stand.....Ive tried many ......XOP, a few others, but the lightest friendliest to put up is the Millenium M-7 Ultralight. I bought from Midway on a sale last year 169 dollars. It does not have a large platform, but is 8 pounds to pack. The hanging bracket is nice because you can just hang the bracket then put the stand up into it. I didn't like the rachet setup, and was real leary of having to unscrew a screw while setting up, because I would of course drop it 20 feet down, so I changed it very easily to a Lone Wolf strap with a Petzl Quickdraw. You can see this mod on Utube. If your worried about side loading the caribiner use a metal screw in link, but it will add weight. I also add a bottom strap so the bottom won't kick out, as I do saddle sit off this stand on the edges sometimes just to be able to move around.

The steps....Ive tried many. Im not a one sticker....if that's for you......its the lightest way to get up a tree. But doing that type of ropework, and handwork in the dark is not for me. I use 3-4 steps. The lone wolf style are pretty good, but when they came out with the Tetherd Skeletors I found I really like them, and packing up WITH the straps (or ropes) on them, that are silent, lighter and easy to pack up. Not having to carry straps up the tree.......and they are not that expensive and 2# a piece, and I didn't have to change a thing. They are also double sided which is more comfortable for me than the one sided lone wolf sticks. I got them off season with a 15% off deal for 165.

So all said and done for a little over 300 dollars, without my pack, the setup for stand and sticks to get up the tree complete is just over 16 pounds. The skeletors fit right into one of the rungs on the stand 2 per side total of 4, and the straps that I use to put the stand on the tree, hold them perfectly without any other straps or bungies. I have a Cabela large fanny pack with shoulder straps that I clip onto with some XOP connector straps, and feel I can carry that thing for miles, and it doesn't hit anything or get in the way, or stick way out off my back and weigh 30 pounds like my climber.

Anyway, I used this setup a lot last year, it won't be for everyone but if one of the ideas helps....it may save you lightweight guys some time and money......

For those that are able........the lightest tree hunting method by far......with the least equipment......... is one sticking, with a saddle. I just found that's definately not for me.

Great info here and in the saddle thread, @Mark from MA

I've finally got a saddle & platform inbound. My plan is to eventually migrate to a one-stick setup, after I get the hang of this (ha!). I ordered a Tethrd Phantom & the suspenders, as I plan on using the saddle to haul the required gear for +1 mile hikes in.

I am running a Hawk Helium pro with 4 original Lone wolf sticks with 18" cable aiders on 3 of them. Gets me up to about 20 feet. A bit heavier than the millinium at 12 lbs for the stand but a very large platform (24" x 30") with a large padded seat and the stand has a leveling adjuster that is easy to use. Dynamite stand!

I got two of them on a BOGO sale a couple years ago for 200 bucks. https://shop.hawkhunting.com/helium-pro-hang-on/

And of course my summit viper with the Hazemore seat replacement is always a favorite.

Half the time now I'm running an old lone wolf climber top only, and saddle. I pull up the climber top to use as a platform as I go up the tree, then sitting back in my saddle to raise the platform and walk up the tree. It takes a bit of getting used to, as the the climber top is not super stable as a platform. But at height you can tie it off with a strap to stablize it.

The nice thing, is I'm carrying in a 5 pound small platform and there's no carrying in sticks or dealing with anything else. The tree has to be pretty good, but you can sit back in the saddle, hang and just pull the climber top off and put it back on to go around limbs if you need to.

As I climb I'm using a long climbing rated rope tethered above my head as I go up, and madrock safeguard backed up with a friction hitch....so when I want to come down, I just drop the climber top and repel down with the madrock. Simple, quick and effortless on the way down.

Bringing this back up for 2024. As I've lightened the load more and also found what I think are the best sticks I've used to date. I sold off two of my other setups to fund these.

While this stand is not big, this is for my portable hang and hunt setup where I don't sit forever, and also use the stand as a half ass saddle platform as well, I bought the XOP Cold world
on 25% discount at Xmas. Still pricy but like I said, i sold gear off that I didn't use.

Also, I've come across probably , lightest, easiest to use, and pack, and not that super expensive stick that I've ever used. The latitude sticks. Just over 1# each with attachment, rock solid on the tree. Wasn't sure because they are plastic (carbon)...likely glass filled really. They pack and store super easy, just using one of the attachment cords you can tie them all up together rock solid, no need for additional straps or stuff to tie them together with or lose. In cold weather they are much nicer to handle than aluminum.

I just wish they came in a 4 pack, but they are pretty good compared to other sticks in the high end price category which are more money, and the best thing I've used to date to get up a tree. Got a decent 15% off coupon code deal on them as well. Coupon Code THEFALLPODCAST will get you to around $68 a stick.

All in all, 4 sticks are less than 5 pounds, and stand is 7 pounds and packs up like a dream. I use a 3 step aider for the first step, and get about 18 - 20 feet with 4 sticks. second pic is all packed up using the stand as a packframe and only only straps on the XOP pack to hold on. No bungies or straps. It stays on rock solid and is 25 pounds. Nothing sticks out to grab brush, I can bend over and it doesnt go flying off my back. I do have the XOP deluxe BP straps and waist belt on the stand......Pack weighs just as much as stand and steps View attachment 837547

Attachments

• IMG_2889.jpeg
    IMG_2889.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom