Local home Safe

I was driving through my neighborhood and found out one of the new people who moved into the neighborhood since I was last there was in the NG or Reserves and has made it home safe.

Its sometimes kind of shocking to find out a neighbor that serves, at least for me and the low key and quiet neighborhood I live in.

The biggest things that have totally stunned me is being thanked for my service, and someone buying me a Coffee or Beer.

I had a guy walk up to Tank and I this past weekend and thank the both of us. We were in a local McD's getting lunch when this guy walked up and thanked us. I thanked him right back, since he mentioned he also was a prior service member.

It's definitely better than getting strange looks, and watching people drag their kids away from you like you have the Plague or something. That's the way it USED to be.

Nickle said:
The biggest things that have totally stunned me is being thanked for my service, and someone buying me a Coffee or Beer.

I had a guy walk up to Tank and I this past weekend and thank the both of us. We were in a local McD's getting lunch when this guy walked up and thanked us. I thanked him right back, since he mentioned he also was a prior service member.

It's definitely better than getting strange looks, and watching people drag their kids away from you like you have the Plague or something. That's the way it USED to be.

I get thanked quite often. Then only place I've had a problem is Cambridge. There isn't a time I've gone there (and walked down the street) without being yelled at and on several occaisions had things thrown at me.

Strangely, not a single person has insulted me to my face. It's all "on the fly".

Martlet said:
Strangely, not a single person has insulted me to my face. It's all "on the fly".

Yup, they aren't as brave as they used to be. I've still gotten insults once in a great while. Last one was last fall. A motorist from Mass didn't like the truck (tractor/trailer) I was driving, so he pulled over in front of me and jammed his brakes. It was almost "Assisted Suicide" on my part. Dumbass.

I read something trying to "debunk" troops getting spat on. Well, I've been spat on, right in the face. Of course, that was Philadelphia Airport, 1972, probably August. I learned to travel in civilian clothes after that.

Nickle said:
Well, I've been spat on, right in the face. Of course, that was Philadelphia Airport, 1972, probably August. I learned to travel in civilian clothes after that.

I wish one of those cowards would spit in my face... [angry]

derek said:
I wish one of those cowards would spit in my face... [angry]

Heck, I wish one of those cowards would at least stop to insult me. The normal move is to hit me in the back with something or yell as they fly by on a bicycle.

MSG said I should start carrying a cane. Cane's are attracted to spokes.

Officer : "Mr. Hoskins you hit him 147 times, don't you think that's a bit excessive?"

Me: "To tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost count. But damn that is a lot huh?"

Officer : "Just a bit..."

Me : "I hope his life insurance was up to date. (chuckle)"

Officer : "Me too. (chuckle)"

Yup, those were good ones.

Derek, I resolved after the incident in Philly that it would never happen again.

The way folks are up here right now, I think I might be too slow to react, since many of them will beat me to the POS Spitter, and I'm fairly quick, for an old fart. And a lot of the "Liberals" up here aren't so Liberal when it comes to "the troops". As it should be.

Yea, thank him for me as well.

It was nice when Paul was home and we were at the hospital. Everyone was stopping him and thanking him for his service.

Whenever I'm out and see a man or woman in uniform, I buy them a beer and thank them for their service.

We do the same, and it surprises alot of them. Alan said when he was home and coming home people were thanking him in the airport, he's young and was surprised by it all. As Alan says he's just doing his job.
Thank him from me also.
I think we'd all like them to try it to our faces, but they seem to be cowards and won't do it.

derek said:
Officer : "Mr. Hoskins you hit him 147 times, don't you think that's a bit excessive?"

Me: "To tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost count. But damn that is a lot huh?"

Officer : "Just a bit..."

Me : "I hope his life insurance was up to date. (chuckle)"

Officer : "Me too. (chuckle)"

My guess is that there would be only the proverbial "two hits" in this imagined altercation. Derek hitting the A-hole and the A-hole hitting the floor. As it should be.

Many times I think about if I should have served. I seriously considered it out of High School back in the day... Anyway, it remains a privelidge for me to thank anyone serving today. Quick story, I got a bunch of dirty looks from the yuppies in line at the Reading Dunkin Donuts (next to the RMV) when I let a man and a woman in uniform from Camp Curtis cut in front of me in line. I have since taken a new approach. When one or two uniformed servicemen are in line with me at Dunks or McD's, I ask them what they want and buy for them. Honestly, it has cost me only about $40 in the past year or so, as I don't see all that many uniformed servicemen in my travels. It has been money well spent.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
ChristosX said:
When one or two uniformed servicemen are in line with me at Dunks or McD's, I ask them what they want and buy for them. Honestly, it has cost me only about $40 in the past year or so, as I don't see all that many uniformed servicemen in my travels. It has been money well spent.

Regards,
Chris

Which Dunks was that again? Would you consider going to Starbuck's instead?

I learned to travel in civilian clothes after that.
My friend's son was in the 101st during the Iraq invasion. Some time later he was flying home in uniform. The airline folks upgraded him to an aisle seat in first class. I think that was partly thanking him for his service, and partly because they wanted a big strong young fellow seated next to the cockpit.

Martlet said:
Which Dunks was that again? Would you consider going to Starbuck's instead?

I try to stay away from Starbucks because I don't like the attitude: "We don't have Large, we have Grande." Excuse me, Mr.-I-went-to-art-school-and-can't-find-a-real-job, and for crying out loud, take that thing out of your nose. (or eyebrow) (or lip) (you get the idea)

I will gladly buy you a coffee at a real american place like the Dunkin Donuts on 114 in Middleton where the employees do not speak a word of english. I get a medium regular there every weekday morning at around 6:45-7:00.

Regards,
Chris

I must say that when Nickle and I were at the McD's and got the "thanks for your service" I was taken aback a little. Do not get me wrong it was great to hear it and know that it was heartfelt. It is just a world away from getting punched in the face for my service, which HAS happened to me.

I always say thankyou to those who have served and I hope and pray that my service lives up to the standard they have set before me.

Tank said:
I must say that when Nickle and I were at the McD's and got the "thanks for your service" I was taken aback a little. Do not get me wrong it was great to hear it and know that it was heartfelt. It is just a world away from getting punched in the face for my service, which HAS happened to me.

I always say thankyou to those who have served and I hope and pray that my service lives up to the standard they have set before me.

The one(s) that punched you for your service are maronic baffoons who would rather run and hide than actually defend something they believe in. Dear Tank, you have nothing to worry about. Those who've served and have gone before you know what you've gone through, and they are proud of you, just as Sue, Derek, Tony, Adam, C-pher, myself and countless other here are.
[kiss]

Lynne said:
The one(s) that punched you for your service are maronic baffoons who would rather run and hide than actually defend something they believe in. Dear Tank, you have nothing to worry about. Those who've served and have gone before you know what you've gone through, and they are proud of you, just as Sue, Derek, Tony, Adam, C-pher, myself and countless other here are.
[kiss]

+ 1000!

[iwojima]

What Lynne said. Tank you forget some of us served when it was not cool to wear the uniform, so we know. Just remember we are proud of you, and everyone who dares raise their right hand and serves. [wink]

Martlet said:
I get thanked quite often. Then only place I've had a problem is Cambridge. There isn't a time I've gone there (and walked down the street) without being yelled at and on several occaisions had things thrown at me.

Martlet, my wife works in Cambridge at Draper Labs. They used to picket outside Draper every August 6th (not knowing that Draper HAS no weapons inside!) until some years back... Kath thinks that they finally realized how many jobs Draper brings to the town!

Anyway, some of us appreciate what you do. Ignore the PRC... I try to! (there are at least three worthwhile institutions there, though - Draper Labs, the Museum of Science, and what's the name of that gunshop? [smile])

Tank said:
It is just a world away from getting punched in the face for my service, which HAS happened to me.

Somehow, I just find this one hard to believe, but if Tank says it's true, it's true.

Whoever hit you just has to be Fricking BRAIN DEAD. When you meet Tank, you'll understand WHY. He makes me look like a damned midget.

Nickle said:
Somehow, I just find this one hard to believe, but if Tank says it's true, it's true.

Whoever hit you just has to be Fricking BRAIN DEAD. When you meet Tank, you'll understand WHY. He makes me look like a damned midget.

HEY! What's wrong with midgets!

Don't feel bad Alan does that too me, and I'm 5'9. He's 6'4. If I remember rightly Tank is even taller than Alan, so I would also be feeling like a midget around him also.
One of Alan's best friends maybe is 5'5, 5'6. We always called them Mutt and Jeff.

Back
Top Bottom