Looking for a rifle for 600 yd sniper matches.

I gotta ask.. Why spend so much cash to shoot just to 600 yds?

Same reason guys spend thousands of dollars to build a car that can run a fast quarter mile. Lots of guys shoot way past 600 by the way.

I think the question was more in line with why spend that much money when it can be done for so much less. I mean I could spend 30k to build a 12 second car or I could do it for 3k both will be 12 second cars

I have no problem with people spending $3000, or $10,000 if they want, for a 600yd rifle. I just would hope they would go a full season with a borrowed rifle or a less-expensive yet pretty-much-as-accurate rifle to see if they can keep up with the equipment they may already own.

I have no problem with people spending $3000, or $10,000 if they want, for a 600yd rifle. I just would hope they would go a full season with a borrowed rifle or a less-expensive yet pretty-much-as-accurate rifle to see if they can keep up with the equipment they may already own.

Exactly from my experience at that range it is far more the shooter than the equipment that dictates the success.

I think the question was more in line with why spend that much money when it can be done for so much less. I mean I could spend 30k to build a 12 second car or I could do it for 3k both will be 12 second cars

Exactly from my experience at that range it is far more the shooter than the equipment that dictates the success.

For the most part that's true, but there absolutely are people who can tell the difference between a 1 minute factory Remington 700 for $1000 and a 3/8 minute GAP Crusader for $3850. That extra 5/8ths of a minute is absolutely worth $2850 to those guys

Then there are people who have money and just want the best possible rifle so that know that the rifle isn't holding them back, or because they just think they're cool (they are cool,) or whatever.

Mike, that Savage looks like a great rifle to get started with.

For the most part that's true, but there absolutely are people who can tell the difference between a 1 minute factory Remington 700 for $1000 and a 3/8 minute GAP Crusader for $3850. That extra 5/8ths of a minute is absolutely worth $2850 to those guys

Then there are people who have money and just want the best possible rifle so that know that the rifle isn't holding them back, or because they just think they're cool (they are cool,) or whatever.

Mike, that Savage looks like a great rifle to get started with.
now we are talking the difference between a 12 second car and a 11 second car, the Kimber he was looking at is not an 11 second car, now had he asked about a GAP we are in a different bracket

I have a few full custom rifles because I KNOW I can shoot .25 moa and I want to have the best possible advantage of doing that. I am not 100% consistant at it but I know if I load my ammo right that my rifle Will shoot .25moa.
I don't think Mike is a noob looking to wasting his money on a $3000 rifle. BTW Mike I think that is a nice rifle but I would look for one with a McMillan or HS stock on it. I would also strongly consider something like the 260 or the 6.5 creedmore. You cannot go wrong with either one of them.
Take a look at this one here

Throw a nice EGW base on it and a Vortex PST Scope and you can have a sweet shooter for under $2k

One piece of advice i would give, is to use a similar platform to what you are used to. Mike you shoot a service rifle...I would build an Tube Gun...I would use a Remington action, in a caliber of what you want (308, 6xc) would be my choices. I would stock in a an Eliseo stock, this a tube rifle set up very close to an AR in fit. You can shoot any game with this..Palma, Long Range,Tactile, (god forbid) F Class, BenchRest. Eliseo stocks are $1000, but that is complete, a good barreled action gone thru by a good gun smith will be 1200+...for about $2500 your going to have rifle that will out perform anything.
http://www.gotxring.com/

Last edited:
One piece of advice i would give, is to use a similar platform to what you are used to. Mike you shoot a service rifle...I would build an Tube Gun...I would use a Remington action, in a caliber of what you want (308, 6xc) would be my choices. I would stock in a an Eliseo stock, this a tube rifle set up very close to an AR in fit. You can shoot any game with this..Palma, Long Range,Tactile, (god forbid) F Class, BenchRest. Eliseo stocks are $1000, but that is complete, a good barreled action gone thru by a good gun smith will be 1200+...for about $2500 your going to have rifle that will out perform anything.
http://www.gotxring.com/

Thanks Charlie.
I'd like to pick your brain someday at the range before I make a decision.
PS
I'm Not planning on an impulse buy. At my age, I just want to get one 308 rifle to shoot matches in our area , possibly Perry someday.

Thanks, Mike

Back
Top Bottom