Looking for input on the Ruger LCP-Max .380 & The Sig P238 .380

Life is to short to own or carry a Ruger.
When my oldest got her LTC, she was doing her homework on what she would like to own, and thought she might like a Ruger.

I told her that she was far to precious, and that I loved her too much, to ever buy her a Ruger.

No love for the mark2 or 10/22 or that rotary mag .44 carbine?

The biggest issue with the Sig is there seems to be no place for the space between your thumb and your pointing finger, no curve. How is that when you shoot ?

No love for the mark2 or 10/22 or that rotary mag .44 carbine?
One of the first hand guns I ever bought was a 22/45. It was accurate AF but I am OCD about cleaning, and.. well we all know the rest of that story.
I traded it it straight up to an NES'r for a Walther 22 and we are both happy.
The 10/22 is a decent rifle, and you can't go wrong with one, but I went to the deli ticket emporium to buy one and they were having a sale on S&W 15-22's and I'm so happy I went that route instead. It's how I introduced my then young son, to the AR platform. Throw a red dot on the sucker and its a boatload of fun.
I've never fired the .44 carbine but am sure it works as intended. And I think they have a history of quality hunting rifles.
But whenever someone asks for a recommendation for a firearm, for whatever purpose, Ruger is never a name that comes to mind.

S&W 15-22's and I'm so happy I went that route instead. It's how I introduced my then young son, to the AR platform. Throw a red dot on the sucker and its a boatload of fun.

I just ordered the performance center version for the same reason. My wife needs to learn the platform. Plus my Marlin 995 is older than dirt

The biggest issue with the Sig is there seems to be no place for the space between your thumb and your pointing finger, no curve. How is that when you shoot ?

It's fine. I grip mine with no trouble, though (again) I have Hogues on mine.

They made it as ergonomic as they possibly could, and they did a good job.

Max: It is a small, light pistol that will work in sweat pants, shorts, etc. That is what it does. That is what they all do that size. You just need one that functions.
Exactly.
The LCP has gotten so much better over the years. LCP Gen1 has the worst trigger of any gun I've owned. Then the LCP 2 came out and the trigger and sights got a little better. They nailed it with the Max. Way better sights, awesome trigger, still fits all the same holsters. I carry it 90 percent of the time just because its so easy to back pocket carry.
Same here. Would a P365 in .380 be nice? Probably. But it defeats the purpose.

The Max fits into anything, including dress pants that I wear to work. I forget it's there. No one knows it's there. It is just that little bit fatter and a touch longer that I can grip it well, even with large hands. The sights are a great improvement over the original and the LCP-II version. I've only had one "jam" when it was new - with Sig VCrown ammo. The round didn't fully chamber until give a light tap. All of the rest worked fine. Hornady Critical Defense has worked just fine, and is one of the top 2 or 3 brands in the Lucky Gunner tests.

It's just easy to carry all of the time, and everywhere, and discretely. After 50 rounds you'll notice your hand tingling, but it's fine for what it is. I like to shoot at 25 yards on a silhouette target. Good enough to put at least 8 out of 10 in the torso at that range. Just my .02. YMMV.

As mouse guns go, the P238 should be head of the class. First, it is locked breech, so recoil, muzzle flip and slide manipulation are far better. Second, it has decent, useable sights; you can actually hit something. Third, it has a useable single action trigger.

I have never had an issue with the safety, either manipulating it myself or finding it having been knocked off by holstering. True, you carry it cocked and locked, but if you are sanguine about carrying a Gov't Model, you should have no trouble with the P238.

The only downsides are mag cap and the .380 round. I carry my P238 in circumstances where the only alternative would be to carry nothing, but I would not part with it.

Was originally looking for a Keltec P3AT, as I thought that was the smallest, lightest .380 pocket gun, which it seemed to be. Until the Ruger LCP came out, as I found out here on NES. In fact even the original LCP was an improvement on the P3AT. Great. Then, I found out there is an LCPII, which was an improvement on that. OK. I had an opportunity to get one and did. Meantime, the LCPIIMax380 came out, which is allegedly an improvement on the LCPII. It adds capacity, better sights, and allegedly, a better trigger. I saw some videos, and it seems to make a weird springy noise when the trigger is pulled that almost sounds like a nerf gun. Maybe it is better, maybe not, but that noise is just weird. Anyhow, the LCPII seems to do everything I want, except it is not a 9mm. That just means more/different ammo to buy and keep track of. The only issue I have with it is sometimes, since my hands are kind of big, my fingers or hands will push the mag release by accident when trying to get a grip on it. I guess that will improve with practice and familiarity, but it was a bit unnerving the first couple times it happened. I have the Ruger holster that came with it, which works OK. I am contemplating cutting off the extra fabric, to make it less bulky. I also have a regular leather holster with a clip, but haven't used that much. I really like the 365, but it was just too big for my needs at the time (pocket carry in shorts). I will probably eventually get either a 365 or Kahr PM9 for regular carry, not pocket.

There are a couple posts on here somewhere with a lot of discussion, which ended up with the above as the answer. Some of them will have reviews and comparisons. I'll try to look for those tonight or in the future. I've gotta go do stuff now. Good luck, hope this helps.

Was originally looking for a Keltec P3AT, as I thought that was the smallest, lightest .380 pocket gun, which it seemed to be. Until the Ruger LCP came out, as I found out here on NES. In fact even the original LCP was an improvement on the P3AT. Great. Then, I found out there is an LCPII, which was an improvement on that. OK. I had an opportunity to get one and did. Meantime, the LCPIIMax380 came out, which is allegedly an improvement on the LCPII. It adds capacity, better sights, and allegedly, a better trigger. I saw some videos, and it seems to make a weird springy noise when the trigger is pulled that almost sounds like a nerf gun. Maybe it is better, maybe not, but that noise is just weird. Anyhow, the LCPII seems to do everything I want, except it is not a 9mm. That just means more/different ammo to buy and keep track of. The only issue I have with it is sometimes, since my hands are kind of big, my fingers or hands will push the mag release by accident when trying to get a grip on it. I guess that will improve with practice and familiarity, but it was a bit unnerving the first couple times it happened. I have the Ruger holster that came with it, which works OK. I am contemplating cutting off the extra fabric, to make it less bulky. I also have a regular leather holster with a clip, but haven't used that much. I really like the 365, but it was just too big for my needs at the time (pocket carry in shorts). I will probably eventually get either a 365 or Kahr PM9 for regular carry, not pocket.

There are a couple posts on here somewhere with a lot of discussion, which ended up with the above as the answer. Some of them will have reviews and comparisons. I'll try to look for those tonight or in the future. I've gotta go do stuff now. Good luck, hope this helps.

The Mcarbo springs will fix that weird noise and their replacement trigger will allow you to adjust the trigger pre-travel.
Ruger LCP 2/LCP MAX Short Stroke Flat Trigger

The biggest problem with the 238 is the manual safety. Not that there is a problem with the gun itself. The problem is that most people primarily shoot guns without them and fail to practice properly.

If you have a gun with a manual safety, you need to practice drawing and sweeping the safety off until it is 100% instinct.

I used to compete regularly with both a 1911 and a Glock. And about once per year, I would draw the 1911 and forget to sweep the safety off under the pressure of competition. (I also occasionally will sweep the nonexistent safety off my Glock) It takes me roughly 2 seconds to recognize what is happening, swipe the safety off and fire.

Because of this failure, I won't carry a gun with a manual safety. Even though I practice with a manual safety PROPERLY, I still screw up about once per year because I also shoot striker fired guns without a manual safety.

To make things worse, I probably only see 1 in 10 people who carry manual safety guns practicing correctly.

Most get to the range, take their gun out of the holster, take the safety off. Clear it. Load a mag with practice ammo and shoot. Then they shoot 100 rounds, reload with their carry ammo, put the safety back on and leave.

In their entire range session, they drew from a holster (or came up from low ready if your club prohibits holster draw) and swiped off the safety exactly once. (!!!!) They swiped the safety on when they came off target exactly zero times.

They should have been practicing swiping the safety off EVERY TIME they came up on target. But instead, they were lazy and just left the safety off. Those people are completely UNPREPARED to use a manual safety gun in a defensive situation.

So unless you shoot only guns with manual safeties and can regularly practice properly, most are better served by a gun without a manual safety.

But what do I know. I'm too dumb to remember what gun I'm carrying.

I like manual safeties. So, besides practicing a "safety off" maneuver (even on safety-less guns), I am constantly thinking of 1) what I am carrying and 2) how I would employ it and 3) what would I do if...

I am leaning towards the Ruger, the Sig is to much like the 1911 and I do not believe it will be a good gun for the wife to carry. I think the Ruger is safer for someone who doesn't get to shoot regularly. Any other thought for a nice small .380 like the Ruger?

Life is to short to own or carry a Ruger.
When my oldest got her LTC, she was doing her homework on what she would like to own, and thought she might like a Ruger.

I told her that she was far to precious, and that I loved her too much, to ever buy her a Ruger.
Then what do you suggest that is comparable to the Ruger MAX

Here are those articles I referenced earlier, including LCPII, Max, .380, and some similar stuff. Hope it helps!

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ruger/comments/exrptq/painted_the_sights_on_my_lcp_ii_really_happy_how/

I’ve been looking at the P365 in .380.
🤷‍♂️
I’m curious about the P365 in .380. Have seen a pic of one side by side w the 9mm P365 and didn’t see a significant difference in size (if any at all). Unless there’s a significant size difference I don’t see the rationale for dropping to .380.

I have had both the P238 & the P938. Both excellent shooting guns for their size. I don’t really think there’s a smoother shooting micro .380 than the 238. I didn’t think the 938 was all that special from a shootability standpoint. That being said, most people have no business carrying cocked & locked micros w a manual safety unless they’re experienced shooters who know what they’re doing & train regularly with it. Most of the people I know who have them are not, they got them because they’re enamored with how they shoot and how small they are.

I had to send my 938 back twice, once for an issue w the safety. I eventually sold it.

No love for G42? With a rubber grip sleeve and 8 round extended mag it fits my large hand really well, I pocket carry it sometimes.

Here are those articles I referenced earlier, including LCPII, Max, .380, and some similar stuff. Hope it helps!

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ruger/comments/exrptq/painted_the_sights_on_my_lcp_ii_really_happy_how/

WOW, thank you !

Then what do you suggest that is comparable to the Ruger MAX
Pretty much anything else it's size, or nearly it's size.
There is a reason it is a $300 gun, and damn near everything else is a $500 gun, and it's not because Ruger lives with lower profit margins. It is because it is cheaply made with cheap parts. Honestly. Ruger didn't unlock some secret to manufacturing that no one else has figured out, and chose to pass those savings on to the consumer.

I personally think .380 is an anemic round and am not comfortable carrying it. Maybe as a back up gun. And no, I don't want to get shot with one.

Did you want it specifically as a pocket pistol? Ankle Holster? Back up gun or primary? Why 380?
If you are thinking 380 because of recoil, small 380's usually suck to shoot. A 365 is just a little bit bigger with similar felt recoil when shooting the right ammo.
Pocket pistol, ankle holster back up gun, it's tough to beat the PM9. Very accurate and reliable and having the same caliber as your primary makes a lot of sense.

Aside from 380 being under powered, 9mm is cheaper, much more readily available, has many more varieties to choose from and is much more effective.

If racking a slide was an issue for me, I would probably carry a small revolver in 38special/357. And 38special +P is a decent round.

All of these decisions are about compromise. I would rather carry a bit heavier gun with a larger caliber. Some people would not. The PM9 is smaller than the Max, but it's heavier with less capacity. Compromise. I will carry a spare magazine.
At the end of the day, a Glock 43 is a waaaay better gun than both of them, but it's a little bigger, another compromise.
But I won't buy a poorly manufactured gun to save less than what I spend in a couple of range trips.
But these are my opinions, and the reasons why. You will have different criteria and compromises you are willing to make.

The P238 is a great little gun. Super accurate, nice sights. Getting harder to find lately. I prefer the mag with the finger ext. I can get a full grip on it.

Pretty much anything else it's size, or nearly it's size.
There is a reason it is a $300 gun, and damn near everything else is a $500 gun, and it's not because Ruger lives with lower profit margins. It is because it is cheaply made with cheap parts. Honestly. Ruger didn't unlock some secret to manufacturing that no one else has figured out, and chose to pass those savings on to the consumer.

I personally think .380 is an anemic round and am not comfortable carrying it. Maybe as a back up gun. And no, I don't want to get shot with one.

Did you want it specifically as a pocket pistol? Ankle Holster? Back up gun or primary? Why 380?
If you are thinking 380 because of recoil, small 380's usually suck to shoot. A 365 is just a little bit bigger with similar felt recoil when shooting the right ammo.
Pocket pistol, ankle holster back up gun, it's tough to beat the PM9. Very accurate and reliable and having the same caliber as your primary makes a lot of sense.

Aside from 380 being under powered, 9mm is cheaper, much more readily available, has many more varieties to choose from and is much more effective.

If racking a slide was an issue for me, I would probably carry a small revolver in 38special/357. And 38special +P is a decent round.

All of these decisions are about compromise. I would rather carry a bit heavier gun with a larger caliber. Some people would not. The PM9 is smaller than the Max, but it's heavier with less capacity. Compromise. I will carry a spare magazine.
At the end of the day, a Glock 43 is a waaaay better gun than both of them, but it's a little bigger, another compromise.
But I won't buy a poorly manufactured gun to save less than what I spend in a couple of range trips.
But these are my opinions, and the reasons why. You will have different criteria and compromises you are willing to make.
It is for the wife, she carries a Glock 43 now but in the warm weather she wants something smaller she can wear inside her jeans.

Back
Top Bottom